Interested in subcontracting drivers for FedEx Custom Critical

soundfx4

Active Expediter
I've been driving for panther for about six months now, maybe a bit longer, and I'm becoming more and more interested in buying my own truck but subcontracting team drivers (when I can) and a solo driver while trying to find him/her a partner. I am, however, more interested in doing this under fedex, as I understand they have much more freight.

I'm not exactly planning on doing this immediately, but I did try to contact FedEx to inquire about this and it was impossible to get a hold of their Custom Critical department. I called and asked and they had no number, or extension. I could only even attempt to get a hold of them on their website and it was more of an application that was focused on me either owning or being willing to buy a truck and be out three weeks at a time. There was no indication that I could subcontract drivers, or even drive for an owner (which I know IS possible because I spoke to someone here that drives for an owner under FedEx) and no other way that I could find to contact them.

So all that being said; what do I have to do if I want to own a truck and subcontract drivers for FedEx? And what all would I have to know? I'm only familiar with Panther's system but I can't imagine they would be that different.

Thanks!

soundfx4

Active Expediter
Call expediter services for more info. They can get you in contact with recruiting.

Expediter Services, as in Expediter Services : Maximizing profits for new drivers, experienced drivers, owner operators & fleet owners ?

Btw, thank you again for the information you gave me previously, I just thought about it and realized I don't want to be away from home anymore, so it'd be a bad idea to change companies if I'm just going to be gone three weeks at a time again.

BigCat

Expert Expediter

piattteam

Active Expediter
100% suggest Expediter Services. Jeff Tacker is our contact there.
We are owner/operators, leased to Custom Critical, using E/S as our agent.
They have a variety of plans to choose from. We have their fuel plan and several of the insurance plans they offer.
Everyone we have dealt with, at E/S, seems knowledgeable, are always helpful and seem to TRULY be compassionate and caring when you experience "issues!".
Feel free to PM me for contact information or if you have any questions I can help you with.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
100% suggest Expediter Services. Jeff Tacker is our contact there.
We are owner/operators, leased to Custom Critical, using E/S as our agent.
They have a variety of plans to choose from. We have their fuel plan and several of the insurance plans they offer.
Everyone we have dealt with, at E/S, seems knowledgeable, are always helpful and seem to TRULY be compassionate and caring when you experience "issues!".
Feel free to PM me for contact information or if you have any questions I can help you with.

Yep. Won't find many out here like them.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sounds like all this guy wants to do is be a truck owner and have someone drive his truck. Kind of like a fleet owner, only with one truck. Not sure why he's so stuck on FedEx since they really don't have "much more freight" at all, but the process is the same regardless. You lease the truck on with the carrier, and then find drivers to lease into the truck.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
They seem to have freight now. Sister delivered Ca this morning. I surprised her by shooting out here also. She owes me lunch from betting against the bears.
Neither of us got to truckstop before she got hot load out.
Some days there's too much freight !

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I'm on 4th load this week as a solo right around 1800 miles so freight is coming from somewhere.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
We also had a load to California, and got pre dispatched on a load right out. :) Just delivered near Phoenix, probably take a weekend break. Running low on hours ;)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well OK, then. I stand corrected. FedEx has "much more freight" than anybody else.

soundfx4

Active Expediter
Aye, I spoke to BigCat in a PM not too long ago about moving to an owner under FedEx and he really got me excited about freight opportunities under FedEx. I was going to give the contact a call, but realized I don't want to be OTR anymore, but I am still interested in becoming a fleet owner starting with one truck (and a day job to bring in extra cash if needed and if possible).

moose

Veteran Expediter
(and a day job to bring in extra cash if needed and if possible).
this is a red flag. owning a truck for someone else to drive, is assuming the financial risk they can't(or won't be willing) to assume by themselves. you will have to insure your business to the nose, and provide the financial needs to support a small business in a worst case scenario.
a good place to start is having a written business plan, setting up realistic goals, having a drivers contract & investing money you are willing to loose.
ask yourself this : can you 'sell' your newlyfound business to an outside investor ?
the good news is that you stated this is not going to happen any time soon, which is what most American business are doing nowdays. 5 months from now we will all be much smarter.

soundfx4

Active Expediter
this is a red flag. owning a truck for someone else to drive, is assuming the financial risk they can't(or won't be willing) to assume by themselves. you will have to insure your business to the nose, and provide the financial needs to support a small business in a worst case scenario.
a good place to start is having a written business plan, setting up realistic goals, having a drivers contract & investing money you are willing to loose.
ask yourself this : can you 'sell' your newlyfound business to an outside investor ?
the good news is that you stated this is not going to happen any time soon, which is what most American business are doing nowdays. 5 months from now we will all be much smarter.

And that's exactly why I'm asking questions, mister moose. I'm certainly no fool; I don't get in over my head, so I'm not going to jump into anything unprepared. On the other hand, I'm the type of person that will never feel they are prepared, at some point I'm just going to have to do it. I will, however, learn as much as I can until that time.