Insulation and water intrusion

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
About a month ago I posted a picture of some damage to my sprinter from being side swiped. Today I removed siding and insulation preparing it for the body shop and found a couple interesting things that might help others.

This is the insulation I used covered by paneling.
bdda82d27762b8339c38b3ecbd5c1ae4.jpg

As you can see below dirt, moisture and dust was not a major issue after 4 1/2 years I do have an espar that dries the air a bit and my ceiling fan is always set on exhaust which may help with moisture.

609b8ac9255906ba2b952ded4b59b242.jpg

cfd37a414d2ec49138872ce2a6c9bdd3.jpg

Where the damage was and the body was pushed away from the black plastic panel water intrusion became an issue fast. Below is where the snaps on the plastic protrude the body also in that area the insulation was soggy at the bottom.
fa7fc40e8f2e2a251caa6175be5b21ba.jpg

Where there is not damage the area around the plastic pins is fine. The light and dark areas are just spray glue and dirt if you look closely around the pin there is no rust.
62eb752d324e4a486a2ea4da7093fd0f.jpg

I guess I have two points. To me using fiberglass insulation is fine without fearing dust and moisture. If your a buddy heater person that could be different.

Point two, if you have damage near the black plastic body panels don't ignore repairs like we see many do. The rate of the rust build up happens fast and will certainly shorten the life of the body or add to the cost of repairs.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My van is uninsulated because I use a Buddy heater. Unfortunately, I've never had the cash to drop in one shot on an Espar. I've wondered recently if it would help to apply roofing felt to the metal surface before using insulation.

Reactions: xiggi