Instrument cluster problem

firejunky44

Seasoned Expediter
hello all, thanks for takeing the time to look at my problem. I have a 05 freightliner M2 business class truck, with the mercedes engine. I am having a problem with the instrument clust quiting on me. I thought it might be the cluster itself so I paid 500.00 and got a new one. It worked for about a day and a half, and it quit again. It is giveing me some codes. Her they are. no eng, no abs, no J1587,ecu 128. What I have found on some of those code that it is probably a data link connection problem. Where in the crap do I start to look for the problems. what can I do myself with out going to a high price dealer. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I remember the early 80's when the FL series that my boss bought 5 of them brand new...it was the same thing..electrical..clusters going whacko, lights working then not working, gauges up and then down....somethings never change I suppose...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I'm sorry, I read mercedes three times and didn't think - too much going on.

The m2 is a multiplexed electrical system that has if I remember right the Bulkhead Module connects everything to everything else and if it is like the one I worked on recently, the instrument pod only connects to this which controls the electric gages like the volt meter and the oil pressure gage.

If this is bad, it will effect everything from the engine to the ABS to even the lighting system. If you are getting nothing, then there is one thing that can be done - bring it to the dealer or another certified repair center ... oh wait, you can find another use module and swap it out but I don't remember if it is engine dependent (meaning that the make and model of the engine matters).

artice

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Newbie Alert...I have a 2003 GMC W3500 with an Isuzu engine, I had it stored for the last few years and started it about three times each year. Due to battery deterioration the last year saw me boosting it to get it started. I was hoping to put it back on the road but when I tried driving it I realised that the speedometer doesn't work...on closer inspection I saw that the only things on the cluster that do work is the signal lights, the hazard indicator and the high beam indicator. The fuel gage reads half full but it might just be stuck there. Also, the temp gauge went to 'H' very quickly about 2 min of driving once. It starts easily and runs smooth but no indicator lights come on (including the glow plug) when I turn the key to accessory position. One of my friends told me it might be an ECU problem...any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Forgot to mention...Radio, heater fan, lighter, wipers and pump, horn and headlights all work.

Last edited: