Installing E-Track

captmike

Expert Expediter
Hellow everyone.I would like to know if anybody could tell me the the measurements for installing E-Track on the floor of my van.I have a new chevy 3500 extended.I plan on installing a 3/4" plywood floor.I also would like to know what kind of hardware to use to install the E-Track and the plywood.Any help would be appreciated.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi
I set my e-track at 17" from the wheel wells.1/4x2" stove bolts with lock washers spaced 12" apart.Then I sprayed undercoating on each bolt to keep the body metal from rusting around the bolts.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Capt:

I don't like E-Track on the floor, but many others do like it there. It's always dirty in the slots and I'd worry about an errant skid nail or the broken leg of a 1500# metal tub fetching up in on of the slots too far forwad for a towmotor to reach.

If you must, consider 1/2 inch plywood; you'll need the extra 1/4 inch height quite often to get a 4' tall skid in the rear opening. Another reason for the 1/2 inch ply is the E-track thickness is 1/2 inch so between the track and ply you'll have a flush floor. I'm not sure how the majority fastens the track to the floor but I'd use either construction or silicone adhesive to secure the plywood.

For what it's worth, I use Baltic Birch plywood. It comes in 5x10' sheets so I cut them to contour with the wheel wells and outer van walls. It can't slide fore or aft when installed this way. Whatever type of wood you use, coat the surface with a waterbased urethane so it won't absorb oil and dirt and can be wiped clean rather easily.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On the Chevy there is a sheet metal pan at the rear underside. Here you need to use self tapping Tek screws with a hex head. Drill a pilot hole of a smaller diameter first. Also there is a heat shield where you will need the Tek screws. Otherwise use bolts where ever possible. Know where you are drilling! There are fuel lines, fuel tank and a spare tire to consider before drilling.

I agree with Bryan, use an undercoating on all bolts and holes. Its messy but worth it. Lay down a tarp or cardboard, it drips. Also consider using stainless steel fastners.

Terry is right, use construction adhesive to bond the plywood to the floor. A tube of PL-200 or Liquid Nails should do it.

Buy a cheap small ratchet and a 10mm socket. It will come in handy on the occasions when you need to remove and re-install the door latch thing at the top of the door frame. This will give you an extra 1/2 to 3/4 inch clearance. I have talked to guys who have permanently removed this. I would advise against doing this. It must be there for a reason.

captmike

Expert Expediter
Thanks everyone for the suggestions on installing the E-Track and floor.I have my reservations for the truck show in Louisville so maybe I can get some more ideas while i'm there. I also want to install a bulk head and bunk.Maybe I'll run into some of you at the show.Thanks again