Installing a Webasto

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I am thinking of getting the webasto from the online place and putting them into my trucks. I still haven't got the snugger because been to busy running.

But after serious thought many of you have a point forget the chinese knock off when I can get the real deal for the same price.

Ok so my question is easy how hard is it to install the units under the bunk making the holes and so forth is not my main concern my concern is how hard is it to wire and prime the units up?

Thanks

Ian

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
They are fairly straight forward. Just a word of advice when hooking up the positive power wire, go straight to your battery. The Webastos are picky about power, they cut out if the"brain" see's10.5 volts. If you go direct to the batteries you will reduce voltage drops that can occur when taping your power from a remote location.

As for priming the system, they have an electric pulse pump and will purge the air in the lines on their own.

Enjoy the warmth, you can all but roast a turkey in front of the outlet.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Another word of advice when hooking up the positive power wire that goes straight to your battery: put a fuse between the wire and the battery.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Well when I called to order the webasto from bunkheaters.com they said I wouldn't have it at my house until next week and I am pulling out between friday and monday. And wanted the heater now to save money. So I caved in and went to Sapp bros in Peru,IL and got the Snugger and honestly I am impressed with the unit. Very good quality and blows hot and worked perfect off the bat no issues. Total cost installed was $1100 + $17 shop supplies. We will see how the unit does after a few months of service for me. He said the only problems they had where the older model with a older glow plug. But the one I got is the newest updated model. And has a 2yr factory warranty and 1 full year warranty from sapps. And I bought a square trade warranty for $125 for 3 years coverage so in easy terms I will have a working unit for 3 yrs so it is going to pay itself off all the way in the long run.

If I get to Ohio I will goto the bunkheaters.com international dealership and grab 3 units for my ND trucks and I will install them when I get to ND. I watched the whole install of the unit and wow simple to do. hardest part was drilling the holes other than that simple to install.

Later everyone and thanks for the response.

BTW: Turtle the power line the snugger has included has 2 fuses 1 at the battery and 1 at the heater. So it's double protected.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just makin' sure. :)

I've seen a lot of 12-volt loads connected directly to aux batteries out here that aren't fused at all.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Please keep us informed on how this unit works out for you.
I am interested in purchasing one as well.

Well when I called to order the webasto from bunkheaters.com they said I wouldn't have it at my house until next week and I am pulling out between friday and monday. And wanted the heater now to save money. So I caved in and went to Sapp bros in Peru,IL and got the Snugger and honestly I am impressed with the unit. Very good quality and blows hot and worked perfect off the bat no issues. Total cost installed was $1100 + $17 shop supplies. We will see how the unit does after a few months of service for me. He said the only problems they had where the older model with a older glow plug. But the one I got is the newest updated model. And has a 2yr factory warranty and 1 full year warranty from sapps. And I bought a square trade warranty for $125 for 3 years coverage so in easy terms I will have a working unit for 3 yrs so it is going to pay itself off all the way in the long run.

If I get to Ohio I will goto the bunkheaters.com international dealership and grab 3 units for my ND trucks and I will install them when I get to ND. I watched the whole install of the unit and wow simple to do. hardest part was drilling the holes other than that simple to install.

Later everyone and thanks for the response.

BTW: Turtle the power line the snugger has included has 2 fuses 1 at the battery and 1 at the heater. So it's double protected.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Well tell you what I left the unit on all night with the truck parked at the house on low. When I went outside to truck today it was nice and warm inside. But we will have to wait a month or so for the real test.

I will for sure keep you all posted.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I get to Ohio I will goto the bunkheaters.com international dealership and grab 3 units for my ND trucks and I will install them when I get to ND.

In November I delivered two pallets of Phillips/Temro heaters, both block and cab, to Wolf Oilfield Services in Berthold, ND. The supplier screwed up the order and it was a couple of months late. The guy in charge of trucks at Wolf bought heaters from another supplier and was rather surprised to see me show up with the order he thought he canceled. If you're going to be in that neighborhood stop in and see if they want to get rid of any.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Thanks Moot I will see about talking to them when I get that direction.
In November I delivered two pallets of Phillips/Temro heaters, both block and cab, to Wolf Oilfield Services in Berthold, ND. The supplier screwed up the order and it was a couple of months late. The guy in charge of trucks at Wolf bought heaters from another supplier and was rather surprised to see me show up with the order he thought he canceled. If you're going to be in that neighborhood stop in and see if they want to get rid of any.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
ok complaint about snugger the fuel pump makes a annoying clicking sound as it operates. does heat well cycles fine but annoying click.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
ok complaint about snugger the fuel pump makes a annoying clicking sound as it operates. does heat well cycles fine but annoying click.

Had the same issue with the webasto. Check how it is mounted, mine was hard mounted to the sleeper floor support. We added a rubber isolator and the sound all but disappeared.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Had the same issue with the webasto. Check how it is mounted, mine was hard mounted to the sleeper floor support. We added a rubber isolator and the sound all but disappeared.

yes mounted like that to rail under my bunk. when I get near a hardware store I'll get some rubber bushing. hope that quiets her a little. thanks everyone else for input.