info please

jecrdt

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
can anyone tell me what is the name of the company or companies that have people driving around checking on trucks and the drivers for trucking companies and making reports.
thanks

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Can you give a little more info? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Raceman
Owner Two Straight Truck.
Part time driver of one of my trucks and local TT.
15mon.OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
OTR Straight Truck Plt to Plt off and on 5 years.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently run Express-1

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
There are several companys that do this. The one that comes to mind is Safety Services. They may stop you in a rest area and ask to see your log book or do an inspection on your vehicle. This is legal as they are a representative of the company you are leased to. I would not let them up in my truck unless there is something that has alarmed them to ask to do so, such as an unauthorized passenger that they had seen get in your truck. Always ask for identification when stopped and call your carrier when in doubt to verify there authority. These inspectors oten never talk to you and there visual inspection of you and your vehicle go undetected. In a way big brother is watching you. Drive in a professional manner and don't worry about it. Thanks for the good question.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I know a FedEx CC driving team that "got a ticket" so to speak, not from the police but from whoever FedEx CC has out there spot checking their trucks. He was speeding in Ohio and it was reported to FedEx CC. He heard about it from the safety department and was warned. It went on his record at FedEx.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Wow! This is completely new to me in this business. I have been watched in others but had no idea this went on. Thanks. I had better tell my driver, he concerns me sometimes. :)

Raceman
Owner Two Straight Truck.
Part time driver of one of my trucks and local TT.
15mon.OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
OTR Straight Truck Plt to Plt off and on 5 years.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently run Express-1

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
A-Team's acquaintance was observed by a company contracted by FedEx Custom Critical to observe contractors/drivers performance and appearance with a view towards towards improvement of safety and company image. Reports of observations are made to FedEx Custom Critical and feedback is provided to the person(s) observed. Positive as well as negative comments are brovide to all concerned.

Tri-State Expedited Services employes a "Road Ranger" who travels around to many truck stops and performas a similar service.

Terry

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We have been observed twice by these observers. In both cases we were followed down the road for a few miles.They gave us an ok for speed, following distance, etc. Both times in Ohio.
This is nothing new. My father talked about being checked back in the 40`s and 50`s.In those days it was employees of the carrier.Now most companys contract with a service.

jecrdt

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thank you to all of you for giving me the info on my question! ( the name of compaines that spot check trucks and drivers. );)

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
We're at FedEx CC headquarters for orientation this week, and just today they showed us a film of a CC van being operated unsafely. This film was provided by one of those safety observation companies which had, ironically, been out observing someone else's driver when they were amazed to see this CC vehicle running well over the speed limit and only feet off the rear bumper of another car. They filmed it and sent it to FedEx as a courtesy (and advertisement of their services which worked so well that they've been hired to do more of the same on purpose I understand). Safety rep indicated that the company had definitely taken action based on the little film, but they also use it to show us what sort of stupidity happens even among their own little family of o/o's.

Doug Simmons