It's a Team's Life Indelicate Subject : It's a Teams Life

chillout

Administrator
Staff member
On Time Media Staff
So where is the bathroom located?

When we were first on the road full time my bladder suffered major abuse. Many of our customers would not allow drivers to use the restrooms and to be truthful there were many places where I did not want to use their restroom.

READ MORE...

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the sharing. I once ran into the husband-wife team and they had converted the plastic cooler into the potty. They would squirt a small amount of washing detergent inside to reduce the odor(especially in hot weather) and to provide continuous self-cleaning. I thought that was a great idea..But be careful, at at night in the dark, don't reach into the wrong cooler to get you Pepsi.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the sharing. I once ran into the husband-wife team and they had converted the plastic cooler into the potty. They would squirt a small amount of washing detergent inside to reduce the odor(especially in hot weather) and to provide continuous self-cleaning. I thought that was a great idea..But be careful, at at night in the dark, don't reach into the wrong cooler to get you Pepsi.

That's gross!

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
We had a nice, brand new porta-potty in our truck as we left Michigan for a run to California. It worked very well... just go into the bowl and when done, quickly open the trap door and flush water at the same time so no odor escaped from the tank. We tested it on a camping trip and it was the perfect answer to the problem of late night relief runs!

Well, we headed west across America and stopped along the way to eat here and there until night fell and I settled into a long night shift of mountain driving. We had not used the porta-potty yet but somewhere around 15,000 feet I heard my sleepy wife get out of bed and stumble over to relieve herself, then I heard her lift the cover, sit down, and heard her welcome the relief. Then she stood up and turned around to do the "quick open trap door and flush trick" which made a strange WHOOSH noise, followed by a whole bunch of sailor quality swearing and screaming!!!!

Apparently, the holding tank was not vented at all and, between 600' above sea level in Michigan and the 15,000' elevation we were currently at, a tremendous amount of pressure waited for her to quickly open the trap door of the holding tank, which blew the former contents of her bladder all over her sleepy face and shirt, causing the profanity filled outburst!!!

Well the bright side I guess was she obviously now wide awake and ready to drive for quite awhile before the possibility of falling back asleep!

The bad side was that every time I was close to falling asleep the rest of the night I heard another sharp cuss word which, honestly, evoked a VERY guarded giggle from me.

To this day we laugh heartily when we think back to the night we discovered the hard way that good porta-pottys are not vented!!! :eek::)

Last edited:

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We had a nice, brand new porta-potty in our truck as we left Michigan for a run to California. It worked very well... just go into the bowl and when done, quickly open the trap door and flush water at the same time so no odor escaped from the tank. We tested it on a camping trip and it was the perfect answer to the problem of late night relief runs!

Well, we headed west across America and stopped along the way to eat here and there until night fell and I settled into a long night shift of mountain driving. We had not used the porta-potty yet but somewhere around 15,000 feet I heard my sleepy wife get out of bed and stumble over to relieve herself, then I heard her lift the cover, sit down, and heard her welcome the relief. Then she stood up and turned around to do the "quick open trap door and flush trick" which made a strange WHOOSH noise, followed by a whole bunch of sailor quality swearing and screaming!!!!

Apparently, the holding tank was not vented at all and, between 600' above sea level in Michigan and the 15,000' elevation we were currently at, a tremendous amount of pressure waited for her to quickly open the trap door of the holding tank, which blew the former contents of her bladder all over her sleepy face and shirt, causing the profanity filled outburst!!!

Well the bright side I guess was she obviously now wide awake and ready to drive for quite awhile before the possibility of falling back asleep!

The bad side was that every time I was close to falling asleep the rest of the night I heard another sharp cuss word which, honestly, evoked a VERY guarded giggle from me.

To this day we laugh heartily when we think back to the night we discovered the hard way that good porta-pottys are not vented!!! :eek::)

Yikes! Thanks for sharing, lol.

gunnerwife

Rookie Expediter
I am very glad to know that we are not the only ones to have had that experience with the porti-potty! Lol. Have learned to vent before when at higher elevations!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I trained someone that insisted the porti-potty was very full. This made no sense to me. I dropped her at home and the next morning decided to empty it.
I put a laundry towel on the table, started to disassemble it and got a bath.

It took a few minutes to realize that she had never flushed, leaving all of her deposits in the "bowl" , transferring none to the holding tank !

The next day a long conversation ensued where it was determined that I was a bad teacher for never showing her the flush lever.

She became a very good expeditor.
My wife insists I mention that it was not her.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
We use a standard sized rectangular trash can and kitchens trash bags, with either "feline pine" or "yesterdays news" kitty litter. No mess or stink, darn cheap.

Just tie up the bag when done. ;-)

Also never get a pressure splash.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums mobile app

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Disinfectant spray on the seat, let it sit for about 10 seconds and then use your own personal TP to wipe away the spray. Get a big jacket or amazon a small can either way I like that method better than carrying a bag or porta potty with me. Carrying my own brand of TP certainly helps me a lot just from a happiness standpoint

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I trained someone that insisted the porti-potty was very full. This made no sense to me. I dropped her at home and the next morning decided to empty it.
I put a laundry towel on the table, started to disassemble it and got a bath.

It took a few minutes to realize that she had never flushed, leaving all of her deposits in the "bowl" , transferring none to the holding tank !

The next day a long conversation ensued where it was determined that I was a bad teacher for never showing her the flush lever.

She became a very good expeditor.
My wife insists I mention that it was not her.

Zorry, there was a woman involved. Was there ever a point where you truly thought that it wouldn't be your fault?

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
been using a porta potty in the truck since 05. never had an incident or elevation issue. we have a dometic brand now. had thetford in the past but have to say the dometic is much better. nobody will ever convince me that having one is not a great thing. we have never had an odor issue and not having to wander in the middle of a cold night or rainy night is priceless.