Improper Training!

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
With half a day of training at the Jim-Bob school of trucking, you too can be a CDL driver!!!!! Just call me JV, and I'll get you on your way to a very profitable career! This is just a joke, and I'm sure it's NOT the kind of driver training a Navy Seal like Mr. Ventura would recommend. GETTING THE RIGHT CDL TRAINING IS A MUST!!!! Please invest the time and effort, and money to do so before you hit the road in a truck. I just started riding motorcycles last year, yet invested in taking a motorcycle training course before I did so, and I learned a lot from it. I completed the National Tractor Trailer School training course prior to obtaining my CDL. I put that knowledge to work every day!
-Weave-

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
Your Comment about the motorcycle training should be taken seriously. I'm 47 and have never been without out at least one bike since I was 7. When I returned to the US at age 41, Indiana required that I take the course. I learned a LOT!!!.

You will go where you are looking. Staring at tree in a panic stop and you will hit the tree. You can also increase cornering speed by looking at your anticipated path about 300ft ahead ( works in the truck also )

I would reccommend all bikers take the course, ( also got a 30% insurance discount from American Family Ins) course schedules can be found by accessing the ABATE web sites
Drive & Ride Safe

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Billy-Bob Bo-Billy’s school will grant me a CDL in 2 hours, but I will still call you JV. You are JV! I’ll take a big old Western Star tractor so I can start my new career. I want the longest flat bed I can get and still be legal. Please make sure there are a lot of load locks to go with my new flat bed.

Tell old JV I said hi. Back in the good old day I was known by PK-R, he use to beat the %$#@ out of me.

Ironhorzmn

Expert Expediter
OK, I'm going to stop lurking now that someone's brought up National Trucking School.

I have never wasted so much money in so short a time than in the three weeks I spent at NTS. Their advertising is totally fraudulent, their instructors are arrogant and ineffective, and they're a joke in the trucking world.

For example, NTS advertises one week of night driving; they delivered less than one hour on one day. They have four students per truck; but you only spend less than half a day on the road so you MIGHT get 45 minutes to an hour per day behind the wheel.

The trucks and 40 foot trailers they use for backing and coupling/uncoupling are so old and unsafe they don't dare let 'em out on the road. 40 footers pulled by old cabovers taught me nothing about backing the big Werner conventionals with 53 foot trailers...and the instructors WILL watch you make the same mistakes over and over with no help at all.

The only positive parts of the school were the on-site track and the excellent correspondence course we were required to complete at home before the actual three weeks of instruction.

I barely graduated from that diploma mill; or so I thought. As 'third-party testers', NTS has no incentive to really teach their students because there is no real outside quality control except perhaps the occasional FDOT undercover student. They 'failed' many of the students, including me, on the final pretrip inspection exams, backing and driving tests, but of course everyone passed their retest.

For $3500 you WILL graduate from NTS. However, very little of what I learned was relevant when I started with Werner Enterprises. I could not back up those trucks...and the pressure of daily deadlines ensured that I would get no practice. It was 'sink or swim' for real.

I lasted three months with Werner. Although Werner was a great company, I felt utterly unprepared for OTR trucking by NTS. I don't blame NTS totally; I had just retired from the US Navy and was going through a rough transition to civilian life.

Now I've been retired for six years and am driving a 28 foot straight truck on a dedicated Jacksonville FL-Macon GA route. After that short-lived nightmare in '97 I have a phobia of getting behind the wheel of a big truck again. The only OTR job I'm willing to contemplate in the near future is as an expediter.

BTW, I was a MSF certified Motorcycle Safety Instructor in the Navy.

Thanks for letting me vent....Mikex(

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You should send a copy of your reply to the US DOT. If that doesn't help, then I suggest contacting the Attorney General, of the State the school is in, and tell them about it. This is becoming a really big issue. If you guys that are getting ripped off, do something about it, maybe it will stop.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The place I went to and mentioned is NTTS (National Tractor Trailer School) out of Buffalo and Syracuse, NY., not NTS. Their training program is excellent, one on one, nothing like the NTS place you mentioned. That sounds more the the JV school! NTTS is fully accredited by the New York Motor Truck Association, the Interstate Truck Load Carriers Conference, the Private Truck Council of America, The Career College Association, and the Commission of Accredited Truck Driving Schools. They have been in business since 1971, and have an excellent reputation in the trucking industry. Their instructors are the nicest people you could ever train with.
-Weave-

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey Tony,forget that flat bed,after your half day training we will get you into Michigan where you can pull a set of doubles with about 35 axles. I think they can haul about 160,000 pounds. No sweat for the BLANK team. LOL

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
Re: Driver Training ---- When I became a displaced employee (downsized) I elected to become a driver. My son known to some as "Weave" was already doin' da' ting. I found a driving school sponsored by our local BOCES. These were (are) great guys. The program lasted about six weeks if I recall. Starting from day 1 there were recruiters from many places (Swift, PGT, etc.) beating down the door for the school's graduates. In fact everyone in my class not only walked with a Class A CDL but also walked with a job!!! As I was a displaced employee, the State of New York even paid 100% of my training. Moral of story - Check your local BOCES before you pump big bucks into a commercial driving school with a limited success rate.