"I'm entitled to my beliefs, so you're required to be ruled by them"

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
http://thesouthern.com/lifestyles/f...cle_d146f19e-c7b0-5ccc-b802-511470d447a5.html

Where will it end? When anyone and everyone's "religious beliefs" are required to be honored by everyone else?
Louisiana Pentecostals, for example, don't permit women to wear jewelry, other than a wedding ring and watch. If you get a new boss, and he is a strict believer, can he fire you for wearing pearl earrings?
Mormons require women to dress "modestly" [as they see it]. Can your landlord evict you for wearing a bathing suit he objects to?

Can parents sue the school that offers yoga as a form of exercise, because they 'believe' it leads to Hinduism?

The whole concept of "beliefs" being accepted as requirements that can be imposed upon others is just nuts.

Reactions: asjssl and Ragman

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
http://thesouthern.com/lifestyles/f...cle_d146f19e-c7b0-5ccc-b802-511470d447a5.html

Where will it end? When anyone and everyone's "religious beliefs" are required to be honored by everyone else?
Louisiana Pentecostals, for example, don't permit women to wear jewelry, other than a wedding ring and watch. If you get a new boss, and he is a strict believer, can he fire you for wearing pearl earrings?
Mormons require women to dress "modestly" [as they see it]. Can your landlord evict you for wearing a bathing suit he objects to?

Can parents sue the school that offers yoga as a form of exercise, because they 'believe' it leads to Hinduism?

The whole concept of "beliefs" being accepted as requirements that can be imposed upon others is just nuts.
Religious beliefs need to be kept out of a court of law. IMHO

Reactions: RLENT

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And yet if it's something else it's perfectly fine for one party to force participation on another. Priceless but predictable.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
And yet if it's something else it's perfectly fine for one party to force participation on another. Priceless but predictable.

Would you give up your right to bear arms because the Quakers believe it's immoral?

paullud

Veteran Expediter

What exactly is your issue? You link an article about a lawsuit then question requirements to honor other people's beliefs. Then for some unknown reason you bring up Pentecostals, Mormons, and ask if parents can sue a school which you clearly know that they can since that was what the article was about. Do you have a problem being respectful of other's beliefs or something else that you didn't clarify?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I will not give up my right regardless of who thinks it's improper for any reason. Conversely, I will not force someone else to exercise same if it is against their beliefs. That's the problem in this and many other situations. One side is fine to have their way and allow others the same. The other side is not satisfied unless they force their way on everyone.

Reactions: SWTexas1

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, with independently tested corroborating DNA evidence, that would be the case at times.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

It's funny that people on the left are complaining about the lawsuit. They are the ones all fired up about keeping the government and religion separate and that's exactly what this lawsuit was over as anyone can see. The parents weren't forcing their view on anyone but they were questioning whether or not the yoga classes were endorsing religion. Given the history and goals of Ashtanga yoga and the people behind the foundation that are giving the grants to get the programs in schools it seems like a very reasonable thing to question.

" The eight limbs of Ashtanga are:
1. yama: moral restraint 2. niyama: ethical observance 3. asana: posture 4. pranayama: focused breathing 5. pratyahara: calm mind 6. dharana: attention 7. dhyana: meditation 8. samadhi: union with God."

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3570850

I wonder if the same people that think it is so wrong to question this program would be just fine with a program that involved moves that mimicked things like kneeling and praying, doing the sign of the cross, or other similar moves if grants were being given out by the Koch brothers.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What exactly is your issue? You link an article about a lawsuit then question requirements to honor other people's beliefs. Then for some unknown reason you bring up Pentecostals, Mormons, and ask if parents can sue a school which you clearly know that they can since that was what the article was about. Do you have a problem being respectful of other's beliefs or something else that you didn't clarify?

What I have a problem with is someone imposing their "beliefs" upon others. The parents who sued were not forced to allow their child to participate in a voluntary program - they wanted the program removed. Just like the parents who want books removed from the library, or the curriculum, because they don't want their child to read it. [Harry Potter is full of magic, and that's Satanic!]
Anti abortion protesters aren't forced to have abortions, but they want no one else to have the right to one, either. [And they're perfectly willing to go to great and dishonest lengths to accomplish it, including extortion, now.]
Allowing "religious beliefs" to exempt anyone from laws that apply to everyone is insanity, IMO. The Bible says "spare the rod and spoil the child" - does that exempt parents who sincerely believe it from the laws against child abuse?
One can find justification for all kinds of "beliefs" in the Bible, many of which are illegal. If it's ok to exempt people from the law because of their beliefs, which beliefs will they proclaim next? Because if this one [homosexuality is a sin] is acceptable, why not the rest?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
What I have a problem with is someone imposing their "beliefs" upon others. The parents who sued were not forced to allow their child to participate in a voluntary program - they wanted the program removed. Just like the parents who want books removed from the library, or the curriculum, because they don't want their child to read it. [Harry Potter is full of magic, and that's Satanic!]

They are questioning whether or not that particular class was endorsing religion. If it is endorsing religion then it has no business at all being taught in schools. The goal of that yoga is religious and the grants are coming from a foundation from incredibly wealthy people that happen to be followers. There is a very good reason to question it and that has nothing to do with imposing beliefs on anyone, in fact it's doing the exact opposite and trying to stop it.

Anti abortion protesters aren't forced to have abortions, but they want no one else to have the right to one, either. [And they're perfectly willing to go to great and dishonest lengths to accomplish it, including extortion, now.]

They view abortion as murder. Do you think people that murder people should be allowed to go around murdering without being stopped? Answer that question looking at it from their point of view and not your's. Of course you're going to go to extreme lengths to stop children from being murdered.

Allowing "religious beliefs" to exempt anyone from laws that apply to everyone is insanity, IMO. The Bible says "spare the rod and spoil the child" - does that exempt parents who sincerely believe it from the laws against child abuse?
One can find justification for all kinds of "beliefs" in the Bible, many of which are illegal. If it's ok to exempt people from the law because of their beliefs, which beliefs will they proclaim next? Because if this one [homosexuality is a sin] is acceptable, why not the rest?

It's not insanity at all. If people have a reasonable complaint that their rights are being violated then they should stand up for themselves. As for laws against child abuse I guess it would depend on your definition of what child abuse is. I don't think a few swats from a switch is child abuse as long as there are no injuries. There aren't "all kinds" of beliefs in the Bible that are illegal.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's difficult to understand other people's reasons when you don't share the same view or thoughts. It's something I certainly struggle with.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I wonder how some would square this topic with the Supreme Court ruling on Hobby Lobby vs Ocare?

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The above is a perfect example of a "frivolous lawsuit", and the court treated it as such.
The answers to the above two questions are obviously NO and NO.
Obviously they can, with the obvious results reported above. It only takes the nutty parents of one kid and a sleazy lawyer that will take their money.
True, although there seems to be some confusion lately as to what constitutes "beliefs" as opposed to "rights".

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I wonder how some would square this topic with the Supreme Court ruling on Hobby Lobby vs Ocare?

I think the Supremes screwed up big time, on this one. If religious beliefs entitle exemption from laws that everyone else must obey, the 'beliefs' are going to become more numerous - and not just from Christians, either.
Interesting note: I read somewhere [and no one has refuted it, to my knowledge] that Hobby Lobby offered the same birth control they objected to before the law, but owner Green says he never noticed it., never really paid much attention to the particulars of their insurance coverage.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Green knew it was there before. The difference is in who has to pay for it.