Illegal immigrants caught

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What a great example of the power of the free press that site is. :rolleyes:
I really liked this article:

Obama Calls Struggling Americans Deadbeat :: The Black Sphere

"Like ugly on Whoopi." It just doesn't get any better than that.
Really - it doesn't.

Just as an aside, why are most conservatives so obsessed with the appearance of women? It's something I've just noticed lately, but it is quite apparent, once you pay attention: Republicans/conservatives are all about whether a woman is ugly or 'hot', [there doesn't seem to be anything between]. It's pretty creepy, you know?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've seen the comparison of conservative and liberal women that points out how most of the conservative women are really attractive and the liberal women are really unattractive, the suggestion being that levels of beauty and brains/intelligence are directly related. Other than that interesting coincidence I'm not sure conservatives are obsessed with the appearance of women, just appreciative the smart ones are so attractive.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I've seen the comparison of conservative and liberal women that points out how most of the conservative women are really attractive and the liberal women are really unattractive, the suggestion being that levels of beauty and brains/intelligence are directly related. Other than that interesting coincidence I'm not sure conservatives are obsessed with the appearance of women, just appreciative the smart ones are so attractive.

You have proven my point: conservatives really think that attractive women [not men, of course!] are worthy [intelligent] and unattractive women have nothing worthwhile to say.
But both Michelle Bachman and Sarah Palin are attractive, so there goes your rationale, lol. :p
Most conservative women are attractive because the conservative men wouldn't pay any attention to them if they weren't - and that's just SAD.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Michelle Bachmann's appearance is made fun of all the time by the libs. What's up with that Cheri? I think conservative males won't pay them any attention because they're liberal, generally speaking of course.,

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
"Michelle Bachmann's appearance is made fun of all the time by the libs" - huh? I've never seen anyone make fun of Bachmann's looks [didn't I say she's attractive?!] but her statements are ugly. Same with Ann Romney: she's pretty, but only till she starts talking.
If you don't pay attention to people because you don't agree with what you perceive their political leaning to be, or because they don't look attractive enough, that's a real good way to stay ignorant.
So: got any conservative women who don't look like beauty contestants? Cause I know there must be some who have brains [which matter] but not looks [which don't, in the long run] but I don't see them anywhere.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't like to call someone ugly because they might not have great physical features. I guess someone like Margaret Thatcher comes to mind as far as being a conservative who isn't considered attractive. Regarding libs and their critique of Michele Bachmanns look, here is another one. One merely has to pay attention. I know it is hard on this one though because his show doesn't get any ratings.
CNN's Piers Morgan Calls Bachmann's Eyes 'Terrifying' | Truth Revolt

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When you lack talent and/or confidence you use whatever you can grasp. Supposed comics are another example. They aren't funny so they use all the profanity they can come up with to hide the fact.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
At least in this article some libs are calling out the former editor of Newsweek, Tina Brown. I guess it was a bridge too far to defend on this one. Kind of creepy of Brown don't you think Cheri?

Tina Brown ridicules Michele Bachmann on the cover of Newsweek but humiliates herself.

Not creepy [Bachmann's eyes are, but that's just one photo, and even gorgeous faces can get caught in a bad shot], but definitely in bad taste, and as you say, people spoke up about it.
So: one photo, one dimwit. Margaret Thatcher may be conservative, but she isn't an American conservative, so not relevant. Ditto for Morgan.
And dude? Miley Cyrus is not exactly representative of anything but outrageous behavior in lieu of real talent, in search of publicity. Which morons are giving her.
Where are the talking heads - the commentators, mentioning how every woman LOOKS, on the liberal side?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When you lack talent and/or confidence you use whatever you can grasp. Supposed comics are another example. They aren't funny so they use all the profanity they can come up with to hide the fact.

Profanity isn't funny, in & of itself. If people laugh, it's because the comment was funny. To them, anyway. I realize some people don't seem to 'get' it, and some wouldn't recognize wit if it walked up and introduced itself, but most of us enjoy humor, even if there's a bit of profanity mixed in.
And the next generation seems to find profanity far more acceptable than we ever did, much like the hippies wore their hair long, I guess.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And the next generation seems to find profanity far more acceptable than we ever did, much like the hippies wore their hair long, I guess.

More like a lowering of standards. Acceptance of the foul is NEVER good. That goes for dress, deportment, courtesy, etc etc etc. That is EXACTLY why we have what we have today in government, business, etc etc etc. Disgusting is now acceptable, and EXCUSED as is sloth, irresponsibility, etc etc etc.

cubansammich

Not a Member
The Hippies were all about non conforming to traditional beliefs like war and the man. The occupy type young ins of today could learn a lot about peaceful protesting from the Hippies of yesterday.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Hippies were all about non conforming to traditional beliefs like war and the man. The occupy type young ins of today could learn a lot about peaceful protesting from the Hippies of yesterday.

Like how not to wash themselves? How to STINK? How to do drugs? Yep, good idea! How are you all today?

cubansammich

Not a Member
Like how not to wash themselves? How to STINK? How to do drugs? Yep, good idea! How are you all today?
How about how to get action peacefully? Their protests undoubtedly ended the war sooner than it would have otherwise. My father was there and has first hand experience on their mission.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How about how to get action peacefully? Their protests undoubtedly ended the war sooner than it would have otherwise. My father was there and has first hand experience on their mission.

Which war was that? I was there too you know. So was MY father. So were MILLIONS of others, on all sides. There were MANY sides to that story. That story continues, it has NEVER ended. It likely never will. It is as old as Man and will continue as long as Man exists. Only a fool believes otherwise.

cubansammich

Not a Member
Which war was that? I was there too you know. So was MY father. So were MILLIONS of others, on all sides. There were MANY sides to that story. That story continues, it has NEVER ended. It likely never will. It is as old as Man and will continue as long as Man exists. Only a fool believes otherwise.
I was talking specifically about the Vietnam war and the peaceful protests which helped to end it earlier than it would have. You were there? Please elaborate.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

More like a lowering of standards. Acceptance of the foul is NEVER good. That goes for dress, deportment, courtesy, etc etc etc. That is EXACTLY why we have what we have today in government, business, etc etc etc. Disgusting is now acceptable, and EXCUSED as is sloth, irresponsibility, etc etc etc.

Standards change - whether they're being lowered or not is subjective. Adjectives such as 'foul', 'disgusting', etc, etc, etc, are opinion, not fact. The 'millenials' seem to treat cursing as casually as piercings & tattoos, is what I said, and like the hippies long hair, I bet we'll get used to it. Well, most of us.
I have a lot of respect for people like Mark Zuckerberg, who may dress like slobs, but have the right stuff between their ears. And I have no respect for people like Mitt Romney, who is well dressed and polite [in public] but justifies vulture capitalism and belittling half the people of the US.
Pretty manners and speech can't hide an ugly soul for very long.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was talking specifically about the Vietnam war and the peaceful protests which helped to end it earlier than it would have. You were there? Please elaborate.

The "Vietnam War" was NOT a "War" unto itself. It was a part of a much wider war, known at the "Cold War" as was Korea, actions in Yugoslavia, Poland etc etc etc. It sort of started, according to revisionist history, in post WWII Germany. The "action" that is widely recognized to have started it was the " Berlin Blockade" (although in reality it started in the early to mid 1800's)

The "Cold War" was fought in a wider area of the globe that either WWI or WWII were fought in and overlapped both.

Not all Vietnam protesters were "peaceful", although many were. There were many radical, violent, "protesters", who killed, robbed, etc, to further their cause. William Ayers is a prime example of one who resorted to violence.

As to what your father did, I have no idea and will take your word for it. I did not know your father.

Keep in mind that the "Modern" communist movement, for lack of a better term, started in the Netherlands in the 1800's. They were VERY active in what is now known as "Vietnam", it was known as "French-IndoChina" when my father was there. That is where he received the "message" to cease hostilities when WWII ended. I have NO idea what your father was doing at that time or where he was.

History spans FAR greater time spans that is taught in "modern" schools and seldom teaches the ENTIRE story.