IFTA tax and fuel price

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wrote an article about fuel prices and the effect of IFTA fuel taxes on the actual cost of the fuel that's stickied in this thread. Here's another example, current as of today, 3/5/09. Using the significant discount available through my carrier I can buy fuel in Troy, IL. for $1.845 or in Foristell, MO for $1.704 per gallon. Well duh, there's a no brainer. Buy it in MO. right? No, not right at all. Buying in MO. gets you 17.0 cents fuel tax credit while IL. gets you .367 fuel tax credit. That means the fuel costs you $1.534 in MO. but only $1.478 in IL. That's $8.40 more in your pocket right off the bat on 150 gallons by buying the higher price fuel. That's because you only pay for the fuel. The fuel tax money is just on hold to be used as you burn the fuel.

Now let's burn that fuel by running from St. Louis to Chicago to Detroit and back for 1125 miles and we'll say we got 9mpg. That's going to burn 125 gallons. We bought 150 gallons so we have plenty of fuel. If we bought in MO. we got 150*.17 = $25.50 in fuel tax credit. If we bought in IL. we got 150*.367 = $55.05 in credit. To make the math a little easier we're going to say we drove 600 miles in IL, 75 in IN, and 450 in MI. We owe fuel tax to those states on fuel burned at the rates of IL - .367, IN - .27 and MI - .303. At 9mpg we used approximately 67 gallons in IL, 8.5 in IN and 50 in MI so we owe IL $24.59, IN $2.30 and MI $15.15 for a total of $42.04 in taxes due.

Well now, there's a fine kettle of fish if we bought in MO and only got $25.50 total credit. We're short of the amount needed by $16.54 so that has to come out of our pocket. We've also got 25 gallons of that fuel left that will be burned somewhere and we'll owe the taxes on that, also out of our pocket. If we'd bought that fuel in IL. they wouldn't be reaching into our pocket to collect fuel taxes. They'd take $42.04 out of our fuel tax "piggy bank" where we deposited it when we bought the fuel. They'd be paid up and happy and we'd still have $13.01 left in the pig from that purchase. The worst case scenario is we'll get dispatched out toward Chicago again and burn that fuel in IL and owe the tax at their rate. That would be 25*.367 = $9.18 so we'd still have $3.83 left in our IFTA piggy bank from that purchase, provided we bought the higher price fuel in IL. It's higher priced but has the lowest cost. If we bought based only on price then our pockets are a lot emptier because the cost is higher.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Welcome back Leo, good to see you.. hope you hang around! Two great guys back in two days! What will tomorrow bring?
Anyway, wow, that sounds like you guys have to be mathmeticians to keep up with that IFTA stuff! So glad it's not applicable to us!

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I thought of posting a copy of my IFTA form. Something to do when I get home. In fact, that would be a good thing to update quarterly, as rates constantly change. If ppl could actually see how their fuel tax gets calculated, it may help some.

One thing to mention about IL: fuel tends to be higher on the southern highways. My nephew said it was 2.15 cash on I-70 last night. In that case, MO would be the better buy. I-80 fuel has traditionally been cheaper. Best to check the prices online before planning an IL fill up.

As usual with IN, don't fill up there. You don't get credited that whole .27 at the pump. You have to pay a surcharge after the fact.

Slightly off topic here. We're in MO now, and fuel is .20 cheaper than gas. Haven't seen that in a long time!

Good to have ya back, Leo!

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Leo;

EXCELLENT POST!

It was very well written and accurate. I could not have explained that one any better and I've been doing fuel taxes for 30 years.

I'm very glad to see you back in the loop. You are appreciated.

HotFr8Recruiter

aileron

Expert Expediter
Thanks Leo, I really learned something today, even though I don't use it since I drive a B unit. But just in case I move up one day, I know how these fuel taxes work.
Thanks again.

I wonder how do states come up with these tax rates? And how come there is so much difference between 2 sates that are right next to each other? Is there a real reason, or just one state is way greedier than the other?