If you were not born here, then where?

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I have met many drivers that were not born in America. If you could, just say where you were born and something about how you grew up, the politics, the good things and the bad things in your former country. Dont worry about spelling, many of us in here cannot spell either.lol:)

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have met many drivers that were not born in America. If you could, just say where you were born and something about how you grew up, the politics, the good things and the bad things in your former country. Dont worry about spelling, many of us in here cannot spell either.lol:)

Does Detroit count as America? :eek:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You're not likely to get very many responses on this, even though there are several (that I know of) foreign-born EO members, some of whom post here in the Soapbox once in a while. The problem is, once they've given that information (which would in and of itself be interesting to know just from the "melting pot" perspective) anything they say can and will be viewed (rightly and wrongly) through the prism of where they came from, instead of letting their opinions stand on their own. Even though it shouldn't be, where they are from will be used against them in an argument if the opportunity presents itself. Replying to the post and not the poster is not an easy thing to do, and many times people will take the path of least resistance. I can't imagine very many foreign-born EO members eagerly wanting to subject themselves to that.

And on a virtually scripted cue we have a perfect example of this.

Last edited:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
You're not likely to get very many responses on this, even though there are several (that I know of) foreign-born EO members, some of whom post here in the Soapbox once in a while. The problem is, once they've given that information (which would in and of itself be interesting to know just from the "melting pot" perspective) anything they say can and will be viewed (rightly and wrongly) through the prism of where they came from, instead of letting their opinions stand on their own. Even though it shouldn't be, where they are from will be used against them in an argument if the opportunity presents itself. Replying to the post and not the poster is not an easy thing to do, and many times people will take the path of least resistance. I can't imagine very many foreign-born EO members eagerly wanting to subject themselves to that.

And on a virtually scripted cue we have a perfect example of this.

I see ur point, even questions ask in innocence lead down a road of tangle worns and kudzu. lol

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok..into the melting pot...

Canadian....I came here because of a promise I made my wife...and I've grown to love it here.....as a matter of fact I loved it in Canada just as equally....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
What melting pot?

We don't have one here. Australia maybe ... Canada maybe but I don't see it here ... it seems to be another cliche we create to feel good about ourselves.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What melting pot?

We don't have one here. Australia maybe ... Canada maybe but I don't see it here ... it seems to be another cliche we create to feel good about ourselves.

Melting pot....get tossed into the fire.....into the discussion..:confused:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
What melting pot?

Now Mr. G, u know better then that, just go down on 42 st in NY and watch and listen, ps, Im going with u, and a 6 pack.:D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well you all know better than to think that. It is a cliche that has lost a lot of meaning when it is actually examined.

For the most part, we don't view our country as one big melting pot, but now it is more or less a place where people define what an American is for them. Once we demanded that an immigrant has fare home in case they fail to meet some requirements, like learning English but that's long gone and now we welcome anyone, even ones with highly communicable diseases.

We no longer make demands of our officials to deport those who pose a risk to us but make allowances for them.

Melting pot implies that we are one nation with many faces and a common cause, but the common cause just doesn't exist.

OVM, the pickle king of south dakota has an easy time here not because he is wrought with the demands that he assimilates but because he has the freedom to choose as for the millions who come here and make a living here and even take advantage of social programs aimed to help people who are without.

Contrast that with say ... France where to be an immigrant means you belong to a specific class of people within the hierarchy of their society and they don't make allowances for you or even allow you to practice your religion as you see fit. Their face is French, not French and everything else but French.

Well got to go to work, see ya later

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There was at least one member in here who ridiculed my grandparents for NOT allowing my father and his siblings to learn Italian. They wanted their kids to be Americans. I have long called for a "official language", which would be "standard American english". That would by the ONLY language used for any official, local, state or federal business.

Now we have invaders, not immigrants, DEMANDING their rights! They DEMAND tolerance. Well, why should I be tolerant of an invader? Invaders should be repelled. Thrown out if possible. If getting them out is not possible, well.................., what ever it takes.

Camper

Not a Member
The entire state of California counts as being born in another country.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Ignorant statement, if ever there was one.

On another note: Take out LA and San Francisco and you've got one of the most conservative states.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Ignorant statement, if ever there was one.

Or a joke to people that aren't sensitive or defensive.

On another note: Take out LA and San Francisco and you've got one of the most conservative states.

You would have a more conservative state but still pretty low in the rankings, the same could be done anywhere, just remove NYC and NY looks much more conservative.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Camper

Not a Member
You would have a more conservative state but still pretty low in the rankings

Take a look at a county electoral map from any of the last few presidential elections, except for the last one and you'll see that CA is actually just about all red except for a small slither along the coast. In fact, Orange County is rated one of the most conservative counties in the country.

, the same could be done anywhere, just remove NYC and NY looks much more conservative.

Not necessarily. Take out Albany, Buffalo, Rochester, Utica, and the portion of Upstate, by Vermont too, then we'll talk..LOL

Last edited:

tbubster

Seasoned Expediter
Here is what I dont get.Why is it if AMERICA is so great to so many from other countrys come here. why are they trying to change AMERICA.I mean really if their traditions and belifes and their holidays are so important to them why do they seek to go to another country for a better way of life.

I belive that AMERICA was a melting pot and in some areas of the country it still is.I belive that for most AMERICANS they are fine with people coming here following our laws and learning our language and making a better life.I also belive that it becomes a problem when some people in power decide that immigrant do not have to follow the laws of AMERICA.They turn their citys into safe havens for them.Like it or not the LIBERALS ARE DESTROYING AMERICA.

For me there is no WE in this.I did not vote for the funny man in cheif that has decided to go against the wishs of the AMERICAN people.That has decided to go against congress.Thats has decided to ignore the constitution and let only his white house staff decide what law breakers get to stay in the country.I did not vote for anyone who helped pass the OBAMA CARE that will fine me for not buying health insurance yet will provide free healthcare to ileagle immigrants with my tax dollars.(you see Joe Willson WAS telling the truth)So no FOR ME there is no we.

moose

Veteran Expediter
O.K, I'm in. looks like someones called my name.
the rezone i took a pass on this one, is because it was the soapbox, unlike the friendly general EXPEDITERS forum .

The problem is,... anything they say can and will be viewed (rightly and wrongly) through the prism of where they came from, instead of letting their opinions stand on their own. Even though it shouldn't be,.
It called the BOX, it's annoying, and i lived inside that box all my life.
when i was a kid/teen, i was the American one.
so when moving back to the US to drive trucks, i decided not to be associated with the Israeli's trucking carriers.
how can i truly experience America while living and working in a Getho ?
now, since so many of you met me in person, you know i can't hide my identity !
so, for the full story, if you wish to move this to the more FRIENDLY forum...

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Moose: Turtle's right, and it doesn't matter which forum it appears in, some will view those who weren't born here differently. [Though Canada hardly counts - it's very much like the US, except you can learn French, just driving there, lol]
It's a question that would only be asked by someone who has a friendly curiosity, but it would be read and remembered by some who feel threatened by 'foreigners', or maybe just dislike certain groups - like the Muslims.
If I were a member of a minority group that had experienced prejudice, I'd keep my mouth shut about it and just observe, I think.