If you park at the T/A in Russell, IL....

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
I live 20 minutes from the T/A in Russell, IL and would like more insight into expediting. Send me a pm if you will be in the area with time to kill.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You're in a pretty good spot to catch some expediters, [north Chicago], so you might find it worth the trip to just go see if anyone is there from a carrier you are interested in. It's a gamble - they may be sleeping, or not interested in chatting with a 'wannabe', but you know what they say: nothing ventured.....
The reason I suggest it is that we often don't know where we'll be until dispatched, at which time there usually isn't time for anything unrelated to getting there. And unless you're practically glued to this site, you could miss a PM saying someone will be around later that day.
Best bet is to get yourself to the Expo in Wilmington, Oh, at the end of next week - all the carriers, drivers, and knowledge will be there, Fri and Sat.
Second best is to check EO's home page for the list of free seminars and plan to attend one - they are also worth the time. :)

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
Lawrence and Cheri thank you for your reply. Wish I could make the Expo but that just isn't going to happen. The last 4 weeks I have stopped at the T/A 6 times. Only 1 Sprinter out front with the curtains drawn. Not wanting to disturb if he was sleeping, I went inside and paged him but no response. Paged him again before I left without result. He was still there with the curtains drawn 2 days later when I stopped. I repeated my efforts with the same result. I parked at this T/A when I took my home time and always saw D trucks there. Used to see 2 or 3 CVs there also but I'm not sure if the T/A ran them off or not. I know they were towing semi trucks that parked too long and did not register at the fuel desk. Right now I am not working and have been in here quite a bit doing my research and leaning more to moving from semi driver to expediter.

Thanks again for your thoughts

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You may want to just try sending a PM to a few members here and see if they will contact you.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
Thanks paullud. I was actually wanting to get a look at the on road living arrangements as well as talk shop. My first thought was to drive a straight truck for someone to get a feel for the business as well as enjoy the living space. Maybe even buy the truck from the owner. I don't think I could adjust at all to living out of a van, even a Sprinter. But after seeing some of the CV setups I am now leaning towards a cut-away Hi Cube van with access door to a 16 foot box and 10,000 lb or under GVWR and gas engine. I could remove the passenger seat and make a 42 or 48 inch living space and still carry 2500 lbs and 6 pallets with a 98 - 102 wide and 8 - 10 feet high with a roll up door. Is there a need for a lift gate? would this be a useful expediting vehicle? Raise box to dock height but that may mess up my access from the cab? Can I stay in the USA between I81 and I35 and make a decent living? Exactly where are the freight lanes? Basically the same or differ by carrier?

A little about me. I was a factory worker for more than 25 years. When the factory closed I was sent to truck driving school. Started driving in 1998. I have a Class A CDL with hazmat. All I need is the medical card and a release from my doctor to return to work. Whiplash from a rearend accident while in the truck. As far as living on the road and waiting on loads. I lived out of a truck for several years, mostly Freightliners. I also lived out of a 1992 International 9700 flat roof COE for a couple of years until 2007, taking a couple days off every 6 or 8 weeks. I remember the days of drinking coffee all day while waiting for a load then getting dispatched when you are ready for bed. And like everyone else I did 1000 mile plus days of driving. I prefer to drive at night. If the load had an appointment time I always figured my deadhead and loaded miles using PC Miler practical miles at 48 mph then added 2 hours plus 2 hours to load before I would accept dispatch. I'm 64 and going to the Social Security office in the morning to sign up for early retirement. Not enough to live on so I need to supplement. I haven't really looked at any carrier yet. The carrier websites I have looked at don't say much about compensation. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated as always.