id like to know more about hotshots.

termite289

Expert Expediter
it's kinda funny, i always thought that it would be high fuel prices that put me out of buisness. but it looks to be low fuel prices, and a lac of freight.
and so, because my pick up truck is already paid for, how dose a guy get into doing hot shot loads. dose it require getting my own dot numbers, or are their freight companies such as the larger trucking companies that one can show up at, and lease a pick up on with? am i simply a glutton for punishment? just thought id ask to see if anyone knew.

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
Are you bold? Are you brave? Rather than using your pickup as a hotshot, a good business to get into in this market might be repo cars.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Overdrive magazine did a nice piece on hot shot hauling in July, 2008 that you may find of interest.

I'm glad you thought that article was worth saving , Phil . I helped Todd gather the information and make contacts . I know Melvin Brooks personally . He's still doing well and getting into government hauls . Termite289 , feel free to pm me with any questions you have after reading the`article but it has some good informative links . GA is a good area . You are better off with your own authority . I'm assuming your pickup is a 1 ton dually because a 3/4 ton doesn't have enough earning potential unless you find a base customer with very light loads .

T

Thepeacedog

I've seen a number of hotshots running for a company out of Cincinnati called BESL. I talked to a guy from there once. All owner operators. Pickups with goosenecks.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Are you bold? Are you brave? Rather than using your pickup as a hotshot, a good business to get into in this market might be repo cars.

Got a buddy that drives ST also and he been talking about pulling these boxes off and putting on auto racks..Anyone seen this done yet? I know from talking to the goose necks out here that the used car market is up and they are busy going coast to coast with used cars??

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Got a buddy that drives ST also and he been talking about pulling these boxes off and putting on auto racks..Anyone seen this done yet? I know from talking to the goose necks out here that the used car market is up and they are busy going coast to coast with used cars??

I know a few people with wedges that are running pretty hard . Rates aren't very good though .

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Most large cities have a couple of companies doing hot shots for the bearing, electric motor, gearbox (gear reduction units) and such industrial type goods. A pickup truck is fine for this type of business. Most of the calls come out of the major centre and go out but a lot of dh back to the main frieght area. Calls range from around the block to out of town with some going out of state. Money can be not too bad but right now you have to watch expenses carefully due to the high dh.

In my neck of the woods we have at least 5 companies doing this all against each other. All are doing the directs or expedited calls with no sameday or overnite calls. The o/o suffers the same in this business as in expedite with sitting for hours for a call but usually you do 1-3 calls per day if the company has the client base (and not over staffed with trucks). Since most of these companies are local you'll have to hunt in whatever area you're located or want to work out of to fine them.
Rob