Ice Ice Baby

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I was reading Geo's thread about falling and breaking a knee cap. Hopefully he gets back out here quickly. He was prepared for an emergency and that peace of mind will help him to heal correctly.

While in Joplin a couple of weeks ago I did not realize how icy it was and also took a fall. Luckily for me it all happened so fast I did not have time to react and only bruised my ego.

I was mad at myself that I had not put on my YakTrax shoe chains. In the winter these are kept in the side pocket of the door so they are easy to slip on. Sometimes I forget how old I am and that breaking a hip is becoming more of a reality when taking a hard fall. If you do not have shoe chains I suggest you consider looking at something to keep you from falling.

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I just get out and crawl...no shame in my game lol...j/k...I have fallen from the top deck of a car hauler back in august, but luckily I landed and rolled (too many years of judo saved me I guess) and only had wind knocked out of me, didn't hit my head thank goodness...gotta be safe and take all precautions...glad it was only your ego... (btw did u get a crack in your ego, cuz mine has a crack from top to bottom)

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I broke 3 ribs a free winters ago in tha ice storm in Chicago getting in the truck on a slanted dock driveway I slipped under the truck for a while not fun at all and the load was gone already when I got there so lose lose for me

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I broke 3 ribs a free winters ago in tha ice storm in Chicago getting in the truck on a slanted dock driveway I slipped under the truck for a while not fun at all and the load was gone already when I got there so lose lose for me
Unlike.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
had a friend do that years ago...found unconconcious under the truck luckily the exhaust kept him from freezing to death until the day shift came in...

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
US Navy
when I fell it was on dry floor trip over a box I didn't see, while carrying a box out door
but always know where you are at times

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Excellent point: the places we pick up & deliver are usually good about salting the walkways, but they don't think about the dock area. If you need to lower & raise the landing gear, it can be icy dicey around the truck.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I got stuck in a slanted dock a few times they only plow the top where tractors stop glad they had a front end loader and chains to pull me out