Big Truck ICC Bumper VS. Liftgate For Straight Truck

Remo

New Recruit
So I have spoken with a few different carriers, some on this forum. Most are telling me that a truck with a lift gate is an absolute no. The majority (except one) are requiring the ICC bumper citing that most automotive plants will not unload trucks that don't have the ICC bumper. What gets me is that I am seeing an increasing number of expedite trucks on the road equipped with lift gates. I currently drive truck with a lift gate, the majority of places that I deliver to (schools & medical buildings) do not have docks. There have been a few times in my travels that I have ran across other trucks without a lift gate that have to unload thousands of pounds of freight by hand because they do not have a lift gate.

My issue here is that the majority of the used trucks I'm looking at already have a lift gate on them, used straight trucks w/o a lift gate seem to be like unicorns in southeast Michigan. Anyone on here currently running with a lift gate? Do you ever have any issues with shippers/receivers? The truck will most likely be running locally around the Detroit area for an expedite company that is still TBD. I feel like the lift gate would give me an advantage to haul freight to places that other trucks can't but 90% of the companies I have spoken with say it will hurt more than it helps?

Reactions: neilblack

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Ours has a liftgate, but I concede that we avoid auto plants like the plague. It has a bumper also, that was fabled prior to our purchase. Several liftgate manufacturers have add-ons that can accommodate a dock lock. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Remo

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I use an old e track load bar on mine never an issue I just removed the locking ends and use grade 8 hardware
I have a Maxon gate and it really depends on the model
I will shoot a pic for ya if you want . Might be a little while till my trucks out of the shop though as it's going through major surgery , I leave it on and just remove it when the gate is needed

Last edited:
Reactions: neilblack

Remo

New Recruit
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I like the idea of having the removable bar & lift gate. Now I just need to see if any of the carriers I am looking at like this idea...

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Ive seen a couple guys who had E track welded to the rear of the truck and used a Load bar, when the dock lock issue came up, a good solid load bar and it clicks right in and out. Ive had trucks with Lift gates, I didnt use it much, but it came in handy a couple days, mostly doing automotive they want to lock the truck into the dock with the HOOK...

Reactions: ttruck

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Wow I never even thought of the etrack clip I just use grade 8 nuts and boats and removed the slide bounds and body it as I need it leave it in most of the time though

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Ya I picked that E track trick up when I worked for JD Clark a couple guys there used the E track Load Bar and it worked like a charm....they welded on a small section of Etrack clip with three to four good slots and they could actually adjust it in and out...and it made a nice step.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Yea for now I'll leave it bolted come spring and I think about it I'll look for some scrap track and do it that way

pok

Rookie Expediter
Hey guys, can anyone share a pic of their removable dock lock bar? I'm trying to have a shop build one but they're not familiar with this and I can't find one online. Thanks

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
A photographer, I am not. Hope they help.

Attachments

• 1445914518847.jpg
    1445914518847.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 1445914539592.jpg
    1445914539592.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 1445914558428.jpg
    1445914558428.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 1445914571419.jpg
    1445914571419.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 1445914592417.jpg
    1445914592417.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: TeamHutch and Remo

tknight

Veteran Expediter
It all depends on your gate and what you have for steps I'll shoot a few picks in the morning after my delivery in Baltimore but I don't have my bar with me so you'll have to use your imagination mines even easier