I stepped off the cliff today......

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
Well thought i would take a moment to share my news with the forum members. Took the plunge and bought my truck today.....

After another bad experience with a dealer, where they sold the truck out from under me despite the fact that i had indicated interest and filled out the credit app. I was awaiting the results of a dyno test of the truck to make sure the engine was still healthy. The dealer agreed to do it but wanted to charge 400.00 for it. I indicated that if the unit was ok then i would eat the cost of the dyno if it wasnt well it was his problem. Two days later i go to their shop and was informed that the dyno came out ok but another salesmen sold the truck the same day i requested the dyno. Needless to say i didnt pay for the dyno, and refused to listen to the salesmens pitch on a more expensive unit.

Enter the hero of my story, an honest salesmen! John my local Western Star dealer in Monroe Michigan turned out not only to be an honest man selling a truck at a fair price but a guy who took the time to introduce me to a local banker ( Monroe Bank and Trust) who financed me at a very fair rate on a used commercial truck. The salesmen made nothing off the financing package!! I dealt directly with the bank at their offices.

Anyway on to the truck. I purchased a 2002 volvo 660 expediter (Class 8 52,500 GVW) with a cummins n 14 (500 hp) coupled to a 10 speed autoshift 3 pedal. Truck had 500,000 miles on it and was traded in on a new E unit. Truck has twin live screws, 24' box(102") and dolly legs. The truck was super clean in and out despite the fact it had not been dot'ed or cleaned yet. Whoever owned the vehicle before had taken excellent care of it. Now the price...... $31,500.00 icluding the dot and detailing. I consider this to be an excellent price for the unit based on the research i have done. I think John priced the unit fairly as i see a lot of class eights for this year and mileage between 40 and 60 k. I was happy with the price. Especially considering the two 120 gallon tanks were 3/4 full. hey 600 bucks is 600 bucks.

Anyway on to the financing I got a 36 month note at 8.75 percent! I also think that is competive financing based on my other conversations with some dealers who gave me the story that because i had never been an o/o before i was a risk and the rates would be between 11 and 13 percent. Pure B.S. I say!!! I will say though i was required to put 15% down which amounted to 5k but i always had anticipated putting money down on whatever truck i purchased.

I will say that john had no problem doing the dyno on it which came back a 4 on the motor (rated between 1 and 18) John also said he would have to charge me for it. Interestingly he showed me the reciept and i paid what he was charged, which amounted to $178 dollars. (not $400)

I am very happy with my purchase!!!! I did scale it however and like all volvo's is heavy on the steer axle gross weight was 24000 with me and 200+ gallons of fuel. Steer axle was 12140#... seems kinda heavy, I guess i will have to be pretty careful loading this unit.

Anyway i just wanted to share my story with you...let me know what you think... I would appreciate any care and feeding instructions with this unit. I start with CTX on tuesday.

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Free To Fail man that sounds like a pretty good deal and sounds like you have found one of the FEW sales persons that treat people the way they would want to be treated...Good Luck with everything and welcome to EO...

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
As a suggestion just remember to try and keep the heavy stuff over your tandems or to the rear of that spot it will lighten the front end. Congrats and good luck.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
$31,500.00. WOW! You could've bought a new cargo van for that price!

Congrats on the perseverence and the good find; we trust you'll enjoy the adventure and be well rewarded with a great ROI.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We would also like to add our best wishes to you! Great job on research and preseverance. All of that will add up to great returns when you put the truck to work.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
FREE TO FAIL
That's good but I am puzzled by the 4 on the dyno, what is that? Blowby?

What did it do with % of HP and torque?

I recommend the dyno as a first step and the need for a ECM dump and a Vischeck is also needed.

I know that this is a good deal and wish you a profitable road ahead.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Way to go Free to Fail!!! Keep in touch, let me know how things are going from time to time. Who did you decide to lease on with? Layoutshooter

Thornapple

Seasoned Expediter
FTF:

Congrats on the good buy and Good luck on the new job.

Sounds like just the right unit. I've been thinking of one of those to. Does he have any more? Whats his number?

Did you have any time in the saddle with a straight truck or a D unit before this?

Drive safe.

t.

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
the 4 does refer to 4" of blowby the results of the dyno showed 386 hp at 69 mph..... oil pressure 38.9 fuel psi 150, manifold pressure 55.6

Pictures soon to follow.....

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
congrats on getting the truck. are you from monroe or did you just get the truck there? reason i was wondering is because my ssgt when i was in the Corps was from monroe.