Cargo Van I need help..

Rickysbbq

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
If I'm starting off in the straight truck industry can I expect to make $2,500 a week or more?. Please help. I'm trying to decide if I should continue with this process. I've got my D.O.T and mc authority now but I'm getting worries cause I have to lease a truck and afraid the rental company is gonna get all my profit.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
$2500... a week .... please research ... research more before jumping off the cliff ..
8b7bd91fd4ac04f35d2d9a64dcd7c237.jpg

my Poking sticks are donated by OVM Mfg. of Bison , SD.

Rickysbbq

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I rode with a guy 2 weeks ago and he showed me what he was making with one company. Thats why I'm asking to know if it's like that with other companies as well. Thanks

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You could definitely make/gross that much a week in a straight, but what you keep may look very different.

Only you can figure out that part. As you mentioned, leasing the truck is going to take a nice slice of the pie off the top, among other expenses.

Rickysbbq

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Thanks for your answer. Thats what I'm thinking also. The only guaranteed company that's going to make some money will be the rental company.as long as I can gross that kinda amount and give them basically 1,000-1,200 then that will be enuff to pay a driver and I walk away with 2-3 hundred I'll be okay. I have a day job already this would be more of me investing weekly for another persons main source of income but just a little extra for me.

Last edited:

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do you have to sign a contract that you will have the truck a certain period of time.?

Reason I ask is I had no direction when I entered this industry. I started hauling general freight and found expedite by accident. I didn't even know it existed or was a option that's how green I was.

Back to my point I started by renting a Ryder truck and a Ryder trialer and they almost broke me. Literally. The hidden fees and charges and maintainance routines they expect you to adhere too but these are alot of the big issues the commissioned lease agent tries to cover while your talking business because your excited and have these big dreams of how you think this will work.

Make sure the dimensions of the box fit the industry. Once again a commissioned sales agent will tell you that the freight box is 101" but they forget to share the door opening is only 96" because 99% of the time when you take a rental you are renting a lease turn in that was built to spec what that company needed it for at the time. And will have nothing to do with the expedite industry and that's another set back.

And what about your driver. Is he experienced? And unless your renting or leasing under a company name no one can drive that truck but you.

We can go on for days but I won't. Their are too many variables out the gate that are going to set you up for failure and like you mentioned the rental company will get theirs and it will be yours they get.

Your carrying the entire bag for a hopeful $200 or $300 a week. What if your driver quits, doesn't like it, you find the wrong company or you sign on during a slow time in the industry.

A recruiter is not going to be that up front. They want trucks so becareful. Research what your about to get yourself into you may be better off getting him a job where you work and save yourself thousands, heart ache and possibly a friend ship. Just my thoughts.

I wish you the best

Reactions: terryandrene

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I think you are trying to jump to fleet owner a bit too soon. Like everyone else said theres a million things that can go wrong and your few hundred a week profit isnt going to be worth that.

Try to look into what it would take to own the truck....yes everything will be on you but the price difference from leasing payments and owning payments should make up the difference in most cases. Not to mention you will have an asset at the end. Almost every owner ive talked to for driving for is an owner and not a leaser. Theres probably a good reason for this.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Take your money to Vegas. Your odds are considerably better. :cool:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have a day job already this would be more of me investing weekly for another persons main source of income but just a little extra for me.
Please don't dabble in trucking ownership without knowing the industry first. You will be doing your driver a great disservice if you do.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
go to want ad's here and there are owners looking for drivers , and try it first
you can lease or buy a truck from a dealer that is cheaper than going to Ryder or some other's
some charge .25 or more per mile,
if you go to a dealer you ask for a track lease, and no miles, you can lease for 36,48. or more months
at the and of lease you may buy unit or turn it in and get a new one, depending how contract is wrote
you don't own the unit and each monthly payment is business expense
that's what I have done it past, this one lease unit and bought it as it wasn't going to worth what we agree to at end of lease, so bought it sold it for what I owe on it. you can lease just about any unit you want from a dealer, for long time lease don't do from Ryder, as they charge a lot. if you lease to a company , see if they have a discount you may able to use. if you want to know more pm me and send your phone number will call you and explain more options
I work now at tysinger out side sales in Hampton va