I just checked out Hino

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
They are not the best OTR truck but the thing that got my attention is their warranties are 2 and 3 year (or more ) with unlimited mileage . I wish they had more power for my needs though .

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Someone had checked those out a while back. I tried to find it, but can't right now, for some reason. They look similar in size to an FL70, etc... the 338 model looks to be the one that would be used in expediting.

http://www.hino.com/trucks/story_42.php

But, as you said, a 2-3 year, unlimited mileage warranty would definately make them worth taking a look at. I'm sure we'll see some of them converted to expediters eventually.

According to their site, it's a 4 cyl diesel, with 260 hp, 585 ft lb torque... that's pretty similar to the small Cummins or Cat 3126. I couldn't find anywhere tho where they projected what the fuel mileage would be...

Dreamer

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
We actually hauled a prototype, new engine for them out to California before. It was bound for their tech school. We were impressed in that their corporate philosophy is just because you're a diesel or truck mechanic doesn't mean your a Hino tech.

The engine was like the 7th or so built, and since it was to appear on the market soon, the techs were being expected to learn about it; infront of the problem curve.

The prices of the Hino also looked impressive. My concern however, would be parts availability at a shop in Left Overshoe, Montana at 2am while under load. Know what I mean?

The Gibster

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
One major (or minor, depending on your point of view) drawback to the Hino is the spring rear suspension. Air ride is not an option.

EDIT: Air ride IS an option!! (Insert red face here!) I was relying on my sometimes less than stellar memory. I do however stick to my opinion as stated below.

The Ford dealership I wrenched at was a Hino dealer (as well as GMC and Isuzu) and I have a fair ammount of hands-on with them. The OHC 6 cylinder engine is a stout piece, and it runs real nice with an Allison automatic behind it.

IMHO, the new 338 series would make a good local or intercity unit, but for OTR there are MUCH better choices out there.

Rex

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>According to their site, it's a 4 cyl diesel, with 260 hp,
>585 ft lb torque... that's pretty similar to the small
>Cummins or Cat 3126. I couldn't find anywhere tho where
>they projected what the fuel mileage would be...
>
>Dreamer

I'm running the Sterling with 300hp/860tq and find it to be underpowered more often than I'd like. I can't imagine dropping back to those numbers unless maybe it would only be a C unit. I'm looking for a bigger engine and more power. (Insert Tim the toolman sound effects here)

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I know a guy that has used them in his greenhouse business and loves them. Seems to me though, that they have a nose only a mother could love. That's just a personal preference though.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Sure enough... was just checkin truckpaper.com.. and someone tried one for 15,000 miles....

They sure didn't keep it very long![img src="http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_6_104.gif"]

[url]http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/forsale/detail.asp?OHID=917551&guid=F3C99EA7DCAE4994A54BDA9F55D463BF[/url]

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
The " local " dealer called me . He's almost 150 miles away . He said his customers average around 11 mpg . I'd like to be able to get a little better than that for that size truck with that horsepower .

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
>The " local " dealer called me . He's almost 150 miles away
>. He said his customers average around 11 mpg . I'd like to
>be able to get a little better than that for that size truck
>with that horsepower .

Not to discourage you, but good luck with that.. I don't know many drivers getting better than 11 with a C or D unit, no matter what brand it is.

Dreamer

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Not to discourage you, but good luck with that.. I don't
>know many drivers getting better than 11 with a C or D unit,
>no matter what brand it is.
>
>
>Dreamer

My "C" (FL MBE 260 6pd)gives 11.3 mpg. Consistantly.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
>
>
>My "C" (FL MBE 260 6pd)gives 11.3 mpg. Consistantly.

I thought that would be about right... 9-11 mpg on a good setup... I didn't know of any getting more than that tho, as he said he wanted to hold out for.

Dreamer

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>My "C" (FL MBE 260 6pd)gives 11.3 mpg. Consistantly.

For 2005 so far I've driven 36271 miles using 4094.9 gallons of fuel for 8.85mpg. That includes running my ProHeat so the actual driving mpg is probably 9. I'd be happy with double digits period and 11.3 would seem like a miracle. I'm just hoping, and I think it's realistic, that whatever I do in a class 8 will equal this truck for mpg.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.