I found the picture of my first Roberts Express truck

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Neat. Looks like an areodynamic marvel.
Don't break our hearts talking rates. Do you remember the fuel mileage ?

Monty

Expert Expediter
Fuel mileage on the the "non" turbo 6.9 was .00035 I think! :rolleyes:

Seriously I don't remember, but is was very low, especially with that tall box.

As for rates .... ahhhh ... I could afford to buy the fuel, let's leave it at that!

That was 1985 ....

Last edited:

Monty

Expert Expediter
It was rated at 10,050 pounds. Roberts considered it to be "under" 10,000 ... so no rules or log books. Times change .. huh?

Oh, and notice ..... no Qualcomm .. they hadn't installed them yet ..... lot's of time spent on the phone. They "beeped" you and you tried to get back to them before they gave the load to someone else! A lot of time was spent on the phone in those early days.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Flashbacks LOL.. here's a pic of my first ride.. only surviving pic we could find, after it was retired.. D1115.. 87 Mitsubishi :)

Note the 'aerodynamic' box.. LOL. .modification made after previous driver bridged it!

Dale

dreamer-albums-dreamer-s-pics-picture3148-roberts-express-d1115-after-retirement.jpg

Monty

Expert Expediter
Flash backs indeed!

I spoke with Kathy Brooks at the Expo .. she was able to pull most of my unit numbers from days gone past ...

B1739 91 Ford
B974 88 Ford
C336 85 Ford
D845 88 Ford F800
DR1136 89 Peterbilt

I have pictures of the F-800 and peterbilt, plus this 85 Ford

Deville

Not a Member
I knew I had it somewhere! C-336

View attachment 5519

My first truck was similar to this one. An 86' ford, It had a van nose. 10'6" high box it slamed into the wind. On really windy days on the hwy you could feel the truck being held back by the wind & the motot screaming to keep it going. 3 speed autp trans, no OD, no A/C if you wanted extra air in the cab there was a vent in the foot whell on the passenger side that you could open & close with you're foot. It had an International diesel motor.I remember paying $1.09 a gallon in NYC for diesel. It had two 24 gallon tanks. that could be switched over from a switch inside the cab.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Back in the 60's a guy was talking about his large 10 wheel dump. 750 or 850 Ford I believe. Gasser.
Driver said "I get two gallons to the mile."
Someone corrected him. "You mean 2 miles to the gallon."
He replied, "No son, every mile I drive I put in two gallons !"