Husband and wife team

Bamanat3r

New Recruit
Driver
I know a recruiter's job is to tell a driver all the good things about this type of job. But, I'd like to hear from other drivers on one subject. As a contract driving team for a fleet, no expenses out of pocket, other than personal, what would be a good estimate on pay per driver per week ? I know it varies from week to week, but if you took 6 months of pay, say from Jan. to June, what would an average weekly pay come to ?

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nope not a secret, no 2 trucks will make the same, no 2 drivers will make the same, what's good money to one will not be enough to another, do more research, go out to a truck stop and talk to drivers face to face, remember a recruiters job is to sign trucks on,

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The problem is that question is pretty much the same as "how high is up?". The answer varies greatly depening on carrier, qualifications, equipment, availability, reliability of equipment and several other factors. There's just not enough information to go on.

ChaplainSteve

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Sorry, this would be straight truck driving. probably gonna add hazmat.
Hello, I have also been researching on herefor a couple months and I will say that after much reading in the forum there is about every answer to every question possible, from etrack mounting to extensive discussions on the best porta potties. Bamanat3r, these folks are really helpful and full of info and wsdom. I hope to be out there amongst them in the spring after saying farewell to healthcare. I encourage you to do as I did and type any question you might have into the search window and you will have much reading. The few questions I did have they answered, I understand my learning curve will still be there, but I will for sure have realistic expectations.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Great post Steve.

Using the search feature is the best way to get the information you are looking for.

Bamanat3r

New Recruit
Driver
Thanks Steve. I guess I'll just put it out there. As a contract driver for a fleet owner, is $1000 a week per driver possible?
Straight truck with hazmat.

Bamanat3r

New Recruit
Driver
Why would they say such a thing if it's not even close. It's pretty simple, if you tell a man he'll make xxx amount and gets out there and only makes x amount, my 3rd week will be spent headed homeward

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Why would they say such a thing if it's not even close.
Well, gee, I don't know. I don't know who "they" is, what carrier they work for, if "they" is the recruiter or the fleet owner, and I don't know everything that Leo posted in Post #5, followed up by Wolfeman in Post #6. Are you getting 40% on a 60/40 split, or is it 50/50, or 70/30? Is the line haul a flat rate or a percentage? Are you going to be out 3 weeks and then home 1 (working 39 weeks and off 13 weeks), or are you going to be out 3 months and then home 1 week (working working roughly 48 weeks and then off 4 weeks)? The difference can be significant over the course of 6 months, and then averaged per week.

It's pretty simple, if you tell a man he'll make xxx amount and gets out there and only makes x amount, my 3rd week will be spent headed homeward
In that case, it's even simpler than you think - you aren't ready to be an expediter, as you don't have the temperament, patience or attitude to be successful. You want a guarantee, and there's no such thing out here. You could come out and the first week pay to the truck could be $750, then $1000 the next week, then the third week $900, where you've already given up and are heading home. But the 4th week could be $3000 and then $2500 the next, but you would have given up already.

It's not about what you make week to week, it's what you average over a month, a quarter, a year. And the bulk of that depends directly on how many weeks over the course of a year that you are out on the road, in-service and available for loads. If you stay in-service 48-50 weeks a year and turn down few loads, yeah, you can make $1000 per.

Based on the mountain of information you have provided, I have no friggin' clue what you can make, and neither does anyone else, which is why you got the answer you got. I put numbers out there to (a) get your reaction, (b) get some more information out of you, and (c) to get others to throw some numbers that out there, too.

Bamanat3r

New Recruit
Driver
40 out 12 in, 1000 per wk each, fedx w/hazmat. With no experience in expediting that's about all the info I have. Of course, I'm sure of the 12 weeks off, several of those I won't be staying home for a full week. as far as attitude, I am just being honest, if I'm lied to just to get me out on the road, I'm not going to have a good attitude.Would you ?

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
40 out 12 in, 1000 per wk each, fedx w/hazmat. With no experience in expediting that's about all the info I have. Of course, I'm sure of the 12 weeks off, several of those I won't be staying home for a full week. as far as attitude, I am just being honest, if I'm lied to just to get me out on the road, I'm not going to have a good attitude.Would you ?

Just some info. I'm sure Fedex told you you would be on flat rate which is 1.25 to the truck per mile line haul. If you are just driving and not paying for fuel and are getting 40 % of that 1.25 then to make a 1000.00$ a week each you would have to run 4000 miles a week. Not saying that isnt possible but highly unlikely week in and week out.

Give us a little more info on exactly what you will be getting paid for and at what % and if the numbers i gave you match and we will try to help clear things up. As much info as possible !!

Bamanat3r

New Recruit
Driver
Dry box to start. flat rate 40%, equals to .50 pm loaded .30 pm empty. so I guess now my question should shift to how many miles am i gonna average in a weeks time. which is impossible to guess I know,

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
as you may know already, all recruiters lie, that is their job...no matter if it is expediting or general freight recruiters...that is part of the business, they are all liars.

also, never, ever, believe anything on the internet...except for what I post...(lol)...

and to make $1000 a week each for two drivers...you got to run balls out 24/7, just sayin...

Bamanat3r

New Recruit
Driver
1000 a week on flat rate is a little high. Was told once I start the hazmat WG side, I would be able to negotiate price on loads. At that point, 1000 each a week was possible.

Dry box flat rate she said 800 each was possible.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Im just gonna throw this out there as a representation of what we as a fleet owner of a team truck would want to see and believe is a good AVERAGE weekly mileage minimum. That number would be 2000 miles. We think that is an attainable AVERAGE. That is on the minimum side. The top side is open.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Based on a h/w team with hazmat, Canada and all DoD clearances from about 2009-2013 the annual average works out to maybe 2500-2600 miles per week with a few weeks almost non-stop and 4xxx miles and a few weeks barely breaking 1000 miles.