Hunt

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
DARN IT! Hunting again in the morning! Tomorrow is one of the many "donated" hunts we do every season. They are donated to conservation organizations as fund raising prizes.

Tomorrow's hunt was donated to the Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge for their dinner this past spring. The same individual who bought this hunt last season. He works for Consumer Power in the Environmental protection/development department. Very interesting many to talk with.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
DARN IT! Hunting again in the morning! Tomorrow is one of the many "donated" hunts we do every season. They are donated to conservation organizations as fund raising prizes.

Tomorrow's hunt was donated to the Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge for their dinner this past spring. The same individual who bought this hunt last season. He works for Consumer Power in the Environmental protection/development department. Very interesting many to talk with.
Huh? Did you say something, i was napping.:rolleyes:

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I think he said to much time on his hands??
Life is good Joe enjoy it and be safe out there..

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We got 17 today, not bad for a slow day.

Learned a LOT about the environment/regulations and what happens when policy is NOT thought out.

They are closing a coal fired generation plant here in 2016. Good stuff eh?

WELL

Nothing is what is claimed. There are ALWAYS trade offs.

There is going to be an un-replaced quantity of electricity, in an area that was already short of capacity. There will be a GAIN of 243 acres of marsh. The City of Luna Pier, and the Mason school district will lose 80% of their tax base. Total environmental gain? Questionable.

How will the generation capacity be replaced? There was a shortage last winter with ALL coal fired plants on line. NOTHING is in the works that will be on line when the current plants go off line. How will those tax dollars be replaced? Unemployment is very high here, the residents cannot afford to pick up the tab.

There are ZERO solutions on the table. Does it make sense to go forward?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
We got 17 today, not bad for a slow day.

Learned a LOT about the environment/regulations and what happens when policy is NOT thought out.

They are closing a coal fired generation plant here in 2016. Good stuff eh?

WELL

Nothing is what is claimed. There are ALWAYS trade offs.

There is going to be an un-replaced quantity of electricity, in an area that was already short of capacity. There will be a GAIN of 243 acres of marsh. The City of Luna Pier, and the Mason school district will lose 80% of their tax base. Total environmental gain? Questionable.

How will the generation capacity be replaced? There was a shortage last winter with ALL coal fired plants on line. NOTHING is in the works that will be on line when the current plants go off line. How will those tax dollars be replaced? Unemployment is very high here, the residents cannot afford to pick up the tab.

There are ZERO solutions on the table. Does it make sense to go forward?

They could always buy from Ontario or even Quebec.....I dunno about how much extra they have but they have always sold to nieghboring states....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
speaking of hunts.....we have a hunter in our trailer park...retired now...he is doing some big time pheasant hunting in the area....He gave us 2 birds yesterday....well he cleaned them and brought us the breasts.....wife cooked them up and I didn't know what to really expect as this was my first time with wild game.....I always headr about gamyness....well....it was better then chicken or turkey...no off tastes whatsoever...tender and juicy....wow....I am going to see if we caan make a deal....a few days rent for a few more birds......

Question Joe.....How much are shotgun shells on average?....

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
You cant buy sell barter wild game..:D
Im not meaning to answer for Joe but he is retired now and propely still in bed..lol

20- 25$ should get your neighbor some nice loads..but you can get em cheaper. If your asking for your freind,,Ask what he runs before ya buy him something.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You cant buy sell barter wild game..:D
Im not meaning to answer for Joe but he is retired now and propely still in bed..lol

20- 25$ should get your neighbor some nice loads..but you can get em cheaper. If your asking for your freind,,Ask what he runs before ya buy him something.

I was going to trade him a few nights for a few birds?....

"nice loads" you meaning shells?....

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Yes..
You are being a snow belt area may require a shot size or 5 or 6 as your birds have more feathers, thicker skin then birds in our area (harder birds in your area)..We may get away with 6 or 7 shot here.
Everyone has a prefered load and thats why I say ask him/her. Plus there is a chance you folks need steel or like loads..you dont want to buy lead shot when it cant be used..

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
speaking of hunts.....we have a hunter in our trailer park...retired now...he is doing some big time pheasant hunting in the area....He gave us 2 birds yesterday....well he cleaned them and brought us the breasts.....wife cooked them up and I didn't know what to really expect as this was my first time with wild game.....I always headr about gamyness....well....it was better then chicken or turkey...no off tastes whatsoever...tender and juicy....wow....I am going to see if we caan make a deal....a few days rent for a few more birds......

Shells are about $20-25 per box. You MUST know what he is shooting, gauge, shot size, etc.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

A lot better than a Hot Dog..... Huh.... Lol.....
Hungry... I'm cooking up Chicken breast tenders lightly rolled in brown sugar and wrap in Bacon....yummmm

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
A lot better than a Hot Dog..... Huh.... Lol.....
Hungry... I'm cooking up Chicken breast tenders lightly rolled in brown sugar and wrap in Bacon....yummmm

suppose you could grind up the meat and stuff it into a casing.....pheasant dogs??

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
noooo...I didn't ask him.......I hope he is a good shot tho.....LOL I need some for the freezer...dang it was good.....

Pheasant is wonderful, lean, good for you as well.

You know, you COULD learn how to shoot a shotgun, learn to hunt, and get your pheasant yourself. Just think, in addition to the fine meals you have you would get a TON of exercise AND have the satisfaction of providing food for the table.

Reactions: BIGTRAIN

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
suppose you could grind up the meat and stuff it into a casing.....pheasant dogs??

What a waste of a fine game bird! The are SO many GOOD things to do with pheasant, like white pheasant chili for example.

A "pheasant dog" is a dog you use to hunt pheasant with. LOL!

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
dang it was good.....

Don't forget to give credit to your cook also..A lot of times shooting the critter is easier then preparing it..Ask me how I know.. Without that good cook all the good shooting means nothing. Over the years I have ruined a bird or two. :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't forget to give credit to your cook also..A lot of times shooting the critter is easier then preparing it..Ask me how I know.. Without that good cook all the good shooting means nothing. Over the years I have ruined a bird or two. :D

That is true. Cooking game takes a lot of learnin for "modern" cooks. Game is lean. It is very easy to overcook it, to dry it out. Game is more flavorful than that "stuff" you buy in plastic wrap in the stores.

The "new" hunter also has to learn proper care of the game when killed. There as been a lot of wasted game meats when not given the proper care, treatment and storage.

Reactions: BIGTRAIN

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
It was the first time I've ever cooked pheasant but I found a really good recipe..key ingredient...butter!!