Howdy!

Dat1stChoice

Active Expediter
I'm D. Just D. I drive a cargo van. I make decent money. I work for a small company (6 of us including the owner) that has been in business for 7(ish) years. I haul air freight....yeah, air freight. I'm hoping some day to join the "real" expediters out there, and pretty much live in my van down by the river....when I'm not hauling a load.

Right now, I live for the long runs, the nights away from home, and exceeding the expectations of anyone I haul for. Which brings me to my question.....

Is there any way I can help my owner out, and find loads for us too? We're kinda slow lately, and I really like hauling tail across country to beat a deadline. I don't want to use Uship, the rates on there suck.....Any pointers to finding loads aside from that?

Dat1stChoice

Active Expediter
Its actually Dave, but I go by D for the most part.....I'll answer to pretty much anything though. As the saying goes, call me anything but late for supper!

No pointers on load finding though?

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Hey D, welcome to the madness.

I sure can't say I'm any kind of long-term expert, but no one else seems to be chipping in with advice about potential load-finding sources so I'll offer the below.

Are you looking for only air freight?

If not, and your company will haul expedited loads of other kinds, like automotive (a large percentage of expedited freight), graphics, other machine parts, etc, are you using any software-based systems like Sylectus? Sylectus allows a cooperation and networking between carriers, and allows them to see where your trucks are for potential loads, increasing the chance that someone will call and see what it takes to get your truck rolling with a load closeby. My understanding of Sylectus is that there are various levels one can sign up for.

Also, the Aug/Sept issue of Land Line, OOIDA's official 'zine, has this article that may be of help: Freight Finders by Max Kvidera.

Lastly, though I can't personally vouch for any of the results, how 'bout trying simple search terms? I see load boards from Landstar etc included in some of the below:

Load Boards

Free Load Boards for Truckers

Hot Shot Load Boards

I'm interested in what other, more experienced, drivers here have to say, too.

Good luck in finding additional freight sources for the company you work for, and come back and let us know what is working out best.

Last edited:

Dat1stChoice

Active Expediter
I'll look into those, thank you VERY much for the info. I'm really looking for ANYTHING coming back to Denver when I'm out and about. We DH back to town, no point in wasting the gas if I don't have to right? I carry my laptop when I go on the longer trips, especially when I am spending a night somewhere due to length of haul.

I'm really looking for the oddball stuff in out of the way places, because thats usually where we end up when we get the long ones. (Usually mining equipment or wind power stuff) But I'll haul pretty much anything as long as it fits in my van, instead of dead heading....I hate feeling under utilized!