How To Lower Blood Pressure Right Before Your DOT Physical

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
This works! An hour before your DOT Physical soak your feet in very warm water. As hot as you can stand it without being burned. A bathtub is best. As the water cools you can replenish with more warm water.

I lowered my top number by 10 points doing this. I had a doctor's appt before my physical and my pressure was checked there. I had enough time to go home, soak my feet and go right to the physical. Result, minus 10 points off the first number. I passed my physical and it was good for another year. I do take blood pressure meds but recently changed it and it didn't have time to get it down enough.

Of course the main cause for most is being overweight and not exercising enough. A healthier diet and 30 minutes of cardio work is the key to lower pressure, but our job, the ever changing sleep time causes the munchies. That's a scientific fact, so we battle every day even trying to be healthier.

So try this, if you need to get your pressure down. It will stay down a few hours after you do this.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
This works! An hour before your DOT Physical soak your feet in very warm water. As hot as you can stand it without being burned. A bathtub is best. As the water cools you can replenish with more warm water.

I lowered my top number by 10 points doing this. I had a doctor's appt before my physical and my pressure was checked there. I had enough time to go home, soak my feet and go right to the physical. Result, minus 10 points off the first number. I passed my physical and it was good for another year. I do take blood pressure meds but recently changed it and it didn't have time to get it down enough.

Of course the main cause for most is being overweight and not exercising enough. A healthier diet and 30 minutes of cardio work is the key to lower pressure, but our job, the ever changing sleep time causes the munchies. That's a scientific fact, so we battle every day even trying to be healthier.

So try this, if you need to get your pressure down. It will stay down a few hours after you do this.

Doing this one time is proof ? I don't think so.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
shoot the docs will Automaticaly deduct 15 off if you make comments about there pretty Nurses. GEESH soaking in Hot water NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HG.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hey the other way is GINGER. GINGER GINGER and no Turtle Im not talking about Ginger on Gilligians island either. HG

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
From this medical study:
The effects of preinduction warming on temperature and blood pressure during propofol/nitrous oxide anesthesia.

Quote:These data confirm our hypothesis that redistribution hypothermia can be minimized by preinduction warming of peripheral tissues. Prewarming decreases blood pressure.

Isn't the information age great?... Source: The effects of preinduction warming on temper... [Anesthesiology. 1993] - PubMed - NCBI
Normally I would not jump into this forum, but as a Moderator it's my job. You're dispensing incredibly bad medical advice, and using an irrelevant medical study, which you clearly do not understand, to support that advice. The supporting study, which you incompletely and inaccurately quoted (by applying a period after "pressure"), only applies to people who are under general anesthesia, not to people who are up and walking around. So unless you are under general anesthesia when you go to the doctor to have your blood pressure taken, it's meaningless.

Soaking your feet in hot water will not measurably lower your blood pressure. Blood pressure can be lowered due to vasodilation if you immerse yourself in a hot tub, but vasodilation to the point of lowering blood pressure from heat such as warm water only works with large veins and arteries, and arterioles. Vasodilation from the ankles down, or even the knees down, won't measurably change your blood pressure. Sitting there soaking your feet in hot water will lower your blood pressure the same amount as sitting there with your feet on the floor. It's the sitting there and resting that lowers it, not the hot water. This is easily confirmed by anyone with a sphygmomanometer.

If you get into a hot tub for 15 minutes or so your blood pressure will be lowered, because of several factors. One is the heat which dilates the blood vessels, and sitting in hot water relieves the heart of performing on of it's primary tasks, that of keeping you warm. Another is sitting in a more horizontal position, and your buoyancy in water, which means the heart doesn't have to work nearly as hard to overcome gravity. When you get out and stand up, your blood pressure will drop dramatically, thanks to gravity. You body likes homeostasis, so it will dramatically increase your blood pressure to compensate, often elevating your blood pressure to dangerous levels.

In any case, as soon as your core body temperature reaches its normal operating range, which is about 20 minutes after getting out of a hot tub, or about 3 after removing your feet from a bathtub of hot water, your blood pressure will be whatever is normal for your body. It won't last a few hours at all.

If you want to lower your systolic number (the top one) by 10 points, empty your bladder before you have your blood pressure taken. A full bladder increases that number by 10-15 points. Don't smoke for at least an hour before having it taken, and don't consume alcohol or caffeine for at least 2 hours prior to having it taken. Make sure you sit and rest and relax for at least 3-5 minutes before having it taken, as doing so will lower your systolic 10-20 points. When having it taken, make sure you lean back into the chair and have you back supported. That alone can lower your systolic by 6 points. Crossing your legs will raise it by 6 points, so keep your legs uncrossed and your feet on the floor. Don't talk while it's being taken, that's 10-15 points. Instead sit there and breath normally. Make sure your upper arm is at or above the level of your heart, and that your arm is supported on a table. Every inch below your heart level increases the systolic by 2 points.

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
Could you give the source of your info? The two BP readings I got, My bladder wasn't empty, my legs weren't crossed,and my sitting position was the same. Have you actually tried what I suggested?
If you feel my advice is so off the mark, go ahead and delete it. I will keep my medical info I get to myself since its not my field. Be my guest to delete my post on this matter.

Last edited:

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
I doubt if ginger will work if you eat a lot of fast food, don't exercise daily, smoke, and are sleep deprived. Did you eat ginger besides your regular routine and have your BP lowered?

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
One factor you didn't think of was its very relaxing to soak in warm moist heat. My pressure was checked within 1 hr of my soak. A full bath would probably have been more relaxing. For me I have no doubt what I did relaxed me, and lowered my pressure when I went in for my physical. I will continue
this the next time I'm due for a physical.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have also heard going for a walk before getting blood pressure taken will help to relax you and give better readings.

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
Being overweight is probably the biggest cause of high BP. Its a major struggle to be at the recommended weigh for one's height. I started a week and half ago of exercising for 30 minutes straight daily,to give my heart a work out. I do feel better. Now I have to cut down on all the great tasting food. A heard a Dr on the radio yesterday saying to eliminate bread, pasta, cookies, and cake, and added sugar and salt and the pounds will melt off. I believe it. Now I have to practice it. None of them are classified as real food.

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
There's a difference between taking umbrage and debating a subject in my view. No harm was ever done merely discussing a subject.

CCDriver

Active Expediter
Well either way I'm sure soaking the feet in warm water would help plenty of drivers out there. Might be the only water their feet have seen in quite awhile so can't hurt.

CCDriver

Active Expediter
Being overweight is probably the biggest cause of high BP. Its a major struggle to be at the recommended weigh for one's height. I started a week and half ago of exercising for 30 minutes straight daily,to give my heart a work out. I do feel better. Now I have to cut down on all the great tasting food. A heard a Dr on the radio yesterday saying to eliminate bread, pasta, cookies, and cake, and added sugar and salt and the pounds will melt off. I believe it. Now I have to practice it. None of them are classified as real food.

But I thought bread was one of the major food groups..... How can you have a monster burger without the bun.... Now your just being silly.

But seriously congrats on your exercising and diet hope you do well on it. Hope I don't have to carry it that far will give up the cigs and see how that goes first. Really hate to give up the foods also, what's the point if all the good things in life are gone. Might as well live under a bridge and drink wine all day.

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
I know cutting out bread is one of the things to cut out, but I have cut back on bread but haven't been able to eliminate it. The sweets and pasta or easy for me to cut back. I still take my coffee with half and half, but less sugar. One of my favorite TV programs is Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. Going off certain foods is just have tough as quitting nicotine. I take 2 BP medicines, so I was at a point I had to take some action.