How to find your cargo capacity.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For the Newbies and as a refresher for the pros.
Saw the debate on another post regarding a non CDL unit.

How to find your cargo capacity.
This formula works regardless of your GVW or number of axles make the adjustments to match your truck.
Empty the truck keeping only the equipment you plan to carry load bars, pads, pallet jack, etc.
Take the truck to a truck stop with a certified scale. CAT scale recommended as you want to get each axle weight. Fill the truck with fuel and Immediately weigh the truck, get the weight receipt.

EXAMPLE ONLY CHECK YOUR TRUCK!!

The math is simple.
If a NON CDL strait truck has a GVW or max weight marked on the sticker on the door jamb 26,000 lbs.
My scale tag says the total unloaded weight full tank of fuel, equipment, and driver is just under 15,000 lbs I can legally carry 11,000 lbs.
The steer and drive axles are rated for specific max weights. Steer axle 8,000 drive 18,000
your scale ticket shows unloaded you have 5,000 lbs on the steer and 11,000 on the drive axle
So, you have 3,000 lbs available to load the steer axle and 7000 lbs to load on the drive axle total load 10,000 lbs

Regardless of the gross weight and axle weights, this means you need to know your trucks limits, how your truck feels at different weights as well as calculate load placement especially heavy shipments so you are not over GVW or over axle weight. You can be legal gross weight but over weight on an axle. In that case an overweight is an overweight and the penalty is just as painful.

Good luck, be safe, and keep the shiny side up.
Bob Wolf.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Excellent post!

What happens to the math if I get the magic 10,000 door decals?;)

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Excellent post!

What happens to the math if I get the magic 10,000 door decals?;)

Just like performance parts decals give you an extra 100 hp per sticker, the 10,000 door decals gains you an extra 50K GVW as long as you have helium filled air ride and you have the creeper cop cloaking device.

L.O.L.

Reactions: brokcanadian

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Seriously, even with the magic 10K GVW decals the same math applies. For cargo, cube, and sprinter vans you need to be more aware of where the center of gravity is located. ON most cargo vans the center is roughly at the back of the seats or within a couple feet. Most Strait trucks its apx 4 - 6 feet of the cab. Every truck is different.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I always marked the inside of box for where tires were, also look on drivers side door , they have weight posted there on right side of door , tell's front / rear and tire size to psi for tires