how to become an independant expediter

steeler fan

Expert Expediter
I work as an owner operator with one of the large expedite companies.I drive a 04 sprinter.I was wondering how to go at it without them.Like how much insurance I would have to carry.Does anyone have advice on where to find the info on how to start?

b4342

Expert Expediter
S/F stick with your company. I have my own auth/ins and 4,000 dollars of debt. 2,000 for liabilaty a year 1,000 cargo a year , 1,000 for set up auth,signs,etc. I search for loads all the time, spending all my dwell time looking. A nice way to pass the time but always fruitless.
the key word is EXPEDITE. IN the general freight world what we can haul 3500,8.6 is a joke, average load for us 1200 miles at 300 dollars
NO THANKS I hoped to use my auth and work for my company at the same time just to keep me moving. so far my company is doing all the moving.
S/F my advice dont bother with your own auth/ins. make it simple just put another van on with your fleet. good luck

dorin14

Expert Expediter
i suppose u access loadboards like DAT or getloaded.com;can i find loads for straight tr.on these loadboards?
I got my DOT # and i am just about to send downpayment for insurance,before i can start on my own;i have 10 y exp.in stepdeck,flatbed,oversize,HM.So eventually i can give me a trk.trail.
and make money on those loadboards til i get my own customers and broker auth.(if straight truck ain,t gona be busy enough)
Any senior :) advice on this ,welcome.

Drive safe.

b4342

Expert Expediter
dorin14 there is a lot of freight for straight trucks on getloaded.com,
however the most in demand truck out ther is the flatbed

dorin14

Expert Expediter
the best way to start is to go out there and find your own customers(shippers),prefferably close to your hometown;u can even use somebody else,s authority and insurance till u get movin,for a fee they,ll do it.U take a smoller expense at the beginnin till u get exp.;now keep in mind this is a process that takes time and is not ease,because of competition out there,and the economic actual situation;if u think to get rich quick,forget it,Las Vegas would be a better chance;but if you,ll like it and don,t give up(supposed u do not go broke)first 6 mo,then your seed is in the ground;all u have to do is keep up the good work.If u really want to do it,don,t listen to everybody,s advice(negativs)Make up your own mind;i think u can do it.
This is just my own advice;i am sure there is guys out there doing this already;hopefully they,ll feedback here.
Good luck.

dorin14

Expert Expediter
thanks for comin back on getloaded.com board;
what kind of flatbed u have in mind ? 53; 48; step;or a medium lenght size,40'kind of an expediter flat?

be safe

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

dorin is on the right track dont listen to the negitive if you have a good mind you can do this.
some people just want to discourage any more from coming in

#1 get the authority online for $300

#2 you got 30 days to come up with around 2k give or take $500
make sure your insurance agent does electronic filing and you can be rolling within 30 days

#3 the feeling you get when fedex,panther,tristate,con-way and all the others call you and ask you what you want to cover a load for them

sh!t now thats priceless

dorin14

Expert Expediter
Hy,KW
I sent u a private message;i like to talk to u on the phone;if u don,t mind,maybe we can do some bussiness together.

Be safe,
Dorin.:)

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Please keep us updated if you do go thru with this. I am very curious to follow your success. Have two people I know who did this and both unfortunatly failed. Both had the similar expierences, very few loads, and collection problems.

Were expeditors, not enough time to check out clients credit rating remember the load had to be there. Second just not enough posting on the sites, the big companies have to staff to respond before you do and they have generally worked with them before, and since its always a rush he who responds first is usually the one who wins the bid.

Just my observation, a driver cannot do it all. I wish it were different or do I?

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

please pay attention. if you do this one way to help yourself is to keep on good terms with the company you now expedite for.

Most people think of the other expediters as competition.Dont do this keep an open mind you can sign up as an outside carrier for all the other expediters and still haul there freight tri-state,con-way,panther and fedex all do this.

I would not recomend doing this if you only own one cargo van

even if you only have one d-unit you can be very happy doing it on your own.

but once you have your own authority expanding is not hard at all just lease on the trucks you need.

besides the normal expediters we all know there are many others to do bussiness with.There are alot of things that can help you when you first start.

I think for about $100 bucks a month you can subscribe to gps411
there is alot of equipment posting going on there and the loads posted are all expedite for every type unit including cargo vans
this software is the best I have found as far as getting new contacts with people that haul high paying freight.and its worth the time to network.

plantman

Expert Expediter
was reading your advise on going at it alone. and had more questions.we have a company that is seasonal, and we have straight trucks, and cargo vans that sit from time to time, I was wondering if we could get in to the expediter game. any advise on what would be a good plan or suggestions would be greatly appreciated