How Stupid Can One Be?

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I ask myself this question after watching America's Most Wanted tonight. This guy was locked up in Texas for Child Molestation. He started sending in poems to some kind of newspaper at the University of New Hampshire. The editor said she really liked the poems and they became pen pals.

Well when the guy was about to get out of prison he wrote his pen pal and asked if he could stay with her while he got his life straightened out. She and her husband decided it would be ok if he came and stayed with them and their 5 year old son while he started over. Well long story short he ended up molesting their son and getting away before he could be arrested.

In the interview the woman she "guessed" they were naive and didn't realize the frequency that pedophiles reoffended. I don't think she and her husband were naive I think they are stupid. If you ask me they should be charged with child endangerment for bringing that type of person in their home. You know there is a reason why you are supposed to be alerted when one of these people are moving in your vicinty. Plus there are websites where you can go and put in your address and find out if any sexual predators live near you.

I guess the point of this post is for me to say that some people's stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ark....agreed...here is a supposed highly educated person (the editor) not knowing pedophilia is not curable!! And then hanging her 5 year old out for bait! Inexcusable.

greywolf184

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
My husband and myself also said this has to be one dumb person to allow someone like that into their home. Exspecially with a child. Stupid people. I just could not believe someone could be that stupid.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If the parents can't be charged maybe some lawyer can sue the parents on behalf of the child in civil court. One way or another they should pay for their stupidity. Their guilt feelings over this is not enough!

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I have rather strong feelings about the punishment of child molesters.... unfortunately, my methods would not be approved in any court.

And any parent who would knowingly allow a molester to move in like that should indeed be charged with child endangering.. I question their ability to parent at all.

Dale

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
is it... were they stupid people who happened to be educated OR educated people who happened to be stupid? Education doesn't necessarily make people smart...just educated.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Actually, this is not an isolated problem. This has happened here in Michigan and a few other states.

I strongly feel that the people who fall for the criminal behind bars is sick to begin with, that is where this all started. I bet you there was more going on with this story than the women was going to admit. I heard all kinds of stories from my cousin who's job was to interview and monitor Sirhan Sirhan and Charles Manson - the things they get all the time from women who are sick.

The other problem with this equation is prison is for punishment, not a social club. That means no mail privileges, no phone calls, no big screen tv, no rec centers, a marginal diet and a routine that sucks. I think that the Turks have it right, you don't want to go to their prison, even after prison reform. No one seems to be concern about the victims or their families, the last time I checked, a victim may not even get proper medical treatment and you can't sue the criminal to cover the cost of anything.

I agree with Dreamer, the punishment that they deserve is not social acceptable. I think even going so far to put a child molester shackled in a room with a victim and a mace may be just the right thing to do.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Even Castration has been proven to ineffective against true pedophiles...the only solution would be something like another Alcatraz...isolation for life...who cares if they get depressed and kill themselves...heck I'd donate the rope!!

BTW Greg...I notice you've been targeted as most popular poster by a few!!! *L*

Last edited:

GoGrammaGo

Seasoned Expediter
This just blows my mind!! And the parents should be punished. If they didn't have him in a car seat, they would've been. What a couple of idiots. But the saddest part is that even if they are punished, the child will have to live with this the rest of his life. Some people just make me sick!!:mad:

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
This just blows my mind!! And the parents should be punished. If they didn't have him in a car seat, they would've been. What a couple of idiots. But the saddest part is that even if they are punished, the child will have to live with this the rest of his life. Some people just make me sick!!:mad:

Exactly and think of how it will be for him when he's grown to realize that his own parents put him in that position. Unthinkable. And we wonder why some have "anger issues"???

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
This child will need counseling in the future. If you ask me he has every right to it as well. You know criminals get counseling in the pen when they get to feeling depressed from being locked up. I think they should take away all the tvs and what not. If they want to get their mind off of things they can chop and pick cotton to their hearts content. After choping or picking cotton from can see to can't see I bet they will be to tired to be depressed.

When I was with the Correctional Custody Unit at Camp Pendelton we took the inmates(sailors and marines) out on the trails and they took sledge hammers and turned big rocks into little rocks. They were in there for minor offenses to. Like multiple times getting in trouble out in town, or public drunkeness, or fighting. Something every Salior and Marine does at least once. These just don't know when to lay low for a little while. Then you have rapist who get better treatment than a drunken Sailor who whooped some mouthy college boy. Go figure.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
BTW Greg...I notice you've been targeted as most popular poster by a few!!! *L*

Yes OVM, I noticed it too. After considerable thought, I wondered if there will be a congressional investigation and maybe a special prosecutor appointed to find out my credentials and if I really did what I say I did..... so this bothered me for about 3 seconds and then I thought if it is such a problem, maybe they need to participate and engage others with real thoughts to help others in the forum too. You know what I mean?

Anyway back to the subject......

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I knew a guy that did time in the Arkansas State Prison system in the late 50s and 60s and he told me it was tough back then. He did time for manslaughter. He was in for 12 years. He said they went to the cotton fields and worked all day. He said not to long after he got in prison they were in the fields and he cussed out a Field Sargeant and he said the Sargeant made him take off his shirt and lay down on the ground and he got beat with a bull whip. He said another officer would hold a gun on them while they were getting beat. He said very few people came back for a second round of prison life once they got out. Then in the 70s the Federal government said that was unconstitutional. Now Arkansas has soft prisons lie everywhere else. Before being deemed unconstitutional Arkansas' prisons had a 10% return rate when I went through the Arkansas Correctional Officer Academy in 2004 the return rate was 77%. That's a big difference.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In the olden days prisons instilled the fear factor..where borderline career criminals would chose a different career path...Now it's like big deal I can do a nickle standing on my head!

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
In the olden days prisons instilled the fear factor..where borderline career criminals would chose a different career path...Now it's like big deal I can do a nickle standing on my head!
.......and pick up nerw contacts outside and pick up new techniques and get lessons in new kinds of crime.

what did ras al gouhl say in batman begins.....criminals thrive in a lenient society? something like that. criminals have more rights than victims but that is a soapbox for another day.