How reliable is Gas Buddy?

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I went to that site earlier today. It gave the price of $3.38 at a certain station near the end of my run. All the others were $3.55 or so. Knowing the Speedway prices were pretty accurate, I went to this station that said was $3.38. I get there & it's also $3.55. This was about an hour or so after I had seen the price.

That made me wonder about how accurate Gas Buddy's prices are. Maybe I should have known when one station was way out of whack. At the same time, it wasn't too near the $3.55 stations. So I thought maybe this was a hidden gem for today.

So for those that use Gas Buddy, about how often can ya rely on the info?

iPhone and Droid users should have the free Gas Buddy app.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
On gas buddy, when you look at the price, it also tells you the time it was posted. 6hrs ago and so on. The prices on there are from user updates.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I went to that site earlier today. It gave the price of $3.38 at a certain station near the end of my run. All the others were $3.55 or so. Knowing the Speedway prices were pretty accurate, I went to this station that said was $3.38. I get there & it's also $3.55. This was about an hour or so after I had seen the price.

That made me wonder about how accurate Gas Buddy's prices are. Maybe I should have known when one station was way out of whack. At the same time, it wasn't too near the $3.55 stations. So I thought maybe this was a hidden gem for today.

Are prices fixed in Michigan? Every station I passed today was at 3.55! :eek: :confused:

TheRebel

Seasoned Expediter

They get the updates from people like me, like you... so, if nobody gives them updates, you'll see the last price they got, maybe 24 hrs old or more...