How Old To Old

Expeditious Expediter

New Recruit
Researching
Hi all,

I had an interview recently with an expediting company about becoming an O/O. They had said that if a vehicle was more than a few years old that it would be hard to find loads. I'm looking to buy a used vehicle, either straight truck or van, not sure which yet as I've been hearing that vans are getting competitive and is a hard market to break into due to large number of drivers in the field.

Ultimately, because I'm completely new to the industry I'd like to keep my start up expenses low and the vehicle is the largest initial expense. So how old a vehicle can I buy and still hope to reliably find work? I have the means to set aside a fair amount to cover an early unexpected repair if I get unlucky.

Also I'm Canadian if that affects things.

Thanks,
Xx

alexmj616

Rookie Expediter
Driver
I would say no older than a 2012..but that's just my opinion...you have to think, the older you buy the less time you'll be able to drive it before a company says it's too old for them. Try to find a used van but still new..like a 2016 with only a couple thousand miles on it.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't buy anything. Go to work for a fleet owner and learn the business. Save every penny possible. If, after a year or so, you have learned enough and want to continue pursuing this career then buy a vehicle. This career is FAR more involved and complicated than buying a vehicle and making a fortune.

Read back 3 to 5 years worth in the General, Newbies and Recruiters sections of this forum. Every single title in each one. If it sounds remotely educational read the entire thread and learn all you can from it. If you do, when you've finished that, you'll be up to about the apprentice plumber/carpenter/bookkeeper/whatever level. Then drive for a year or two for a fleet owner. That will bring you up to the journeyman level. Then you'll be ready to buy a truck and probably move up to the master level.

It's tough. That's why there are so many openings. Because so many are FAILING because they didn't take it SERIOUSLY from the beginning and study and learn like they would for any other career. Something about driving makes people think all they have to do is turn the key and hold the wheel. Nope, if it were that easy a lot more snowflakes would be doing it.

Expeditious Expediter

New Recruit
Researching
Thanks for the advice alex and LDB.

Does anyone happen to know if there are good quality fleet owners in Canada? Ontario specifically would help but I'm willing to travel obviously. I've found some but the pay rate is often less than I could make at other ventures, at least here in Canada seems like most places want O/O's. Part of the allure to getting into this is owning and operating a business, which I have the skill set for but admittedly not the knowledge of this specific industry. My health has been deteriorating some which has attracted me to this kind of work as well.

I will definitely go and read all the historical posts here as you've recommended. I've done some searching but it's true that nothing will be as effective as going through them sequentially.

I do appreciate your advice, I will admit I had the impression that there was so much demand in the transportation industry right now that it would be easy to find work, that it would be as easy as signing on with a company and they'd keep me busy enough to pay the bills and manage the business. I definitely have more reading to do.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi all,

I had an interview recently with an expediting company about becoming an O/O. They had said that if a vehicle was more than a few years old that it would be hard to find loads.
Most large carriers have a specific age limit for vehicles being leased. I believe 10 years or newer is common. That means if your vehicle meets their age criteria they will lease you on. If not, then forget it. To say you can lease with us but because of your vehicle age, you won't get many loads is ridiculous. Is this a Canadian thing? A few years? Metric years? Imperial years?

Also I'm Canadian if that affects things.
You don't need to apologize for being Canadian. For the most part we're a pretty accepting bunch. Just ask Lawrence. We allowed him to be our de facto leader. You don't have any Irish ancestry do you?

Expeditious Expediter

New Recruit
Researching
Awesome thanks Moot. I explained to the recruiter that I'd like to buy something used to reduce my up front costs but he said that even more than a few years old and their customers would refuse to load it, and the insurance, etc. I got the feeling that he probably got some commission for getting me to lease a newer vehicle and so he was trying to sell me. They wanted me to get into a brand new Mercedes Cargo Van or they had an option for a dual axle straight for 55K (canadian) I believe. I was leery as from my readings and some cautions given to me by the members here about leasing from the company you work for.

Ha ha, I am actually of Irish decent, about 50% with the last name to prove it :)

Expeditious Expediter

New Recruit
Researching
Ha ha, I should legally change my name :)

Was that a pun on RJR? I actually haven't reached out to them yet, do they have a bad name in the industry? I was planning to give them a call because they're recruiting.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello. There are 2 types of work in Canada right now.

1. Out and back expediting
2. Taking care of someone's customers

What do you want to do? Of course they will push you to buy as new a vehicle as necessary.

IMO expediting is too tough for a newbie. Drive someone else's van.

If you're all set on being an O/O I would go somewhere with lots of their own customers to give you a chance (meaning you stay busy)

I've got a 2005. Never had an issue loading. Did have an issue making enough on expedite loads to support my PAID FOR 2005 so be careful...

Expeditious Expediter

New Recruit
Researching
Thank you very much for the insight into the Canadian market Brok.

I'm really fine with either kind of work. Can you recommend any good companies to start out with? Where do you go to find work in Canada? Are you with a company?

Thanks for the advice and word of caution. As I newbie I really appreciate it.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you very much for the insight into the Canadian market Brok.

I'm really fine with either kind of work. Can you recommend any good companies to start out with? Where do you go to find work in Canada? Are you with a company?

Thanks for the advice and word of caution. As I newbie I really appreciate it.
Sent you a PM. What I know about the Canadian stuff right now (which is not a whole lot) but forgot to mention, some American expedite companies hire Canadians too. Look in the ads on this site, it should have provinces listed if they are, along with the US hiring states

OldFart

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
I'm just getting started in this new expediting world too. As a matter, I got into my straight truck today. I'm driving for a fleet owner and he is leased on with Load 1 in Taylor MI. I'm sure they would be glad to have a Canadian to transport freight across the border for them. Give them a look.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums