How much to convert Volvo to Straight Truck?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looking at something like this for the ishift and D11 engine (11-12mpg!)

Any ideas what it would cost to stretch and add a 22ft box?

I'm ok with smaller sleeper going for MPG and ishift as well as modern 2012. Currently have Class B CDL.

2012 VOLVO VNM64T630

2012 VOLVO VNM64T630

Last edited:

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How long do these Volvo's go, can I get a million miles. On my way to Tx to check this one out.

2012 VOLVO VNM64T630

It's either this or a New Sprinter, what do you think. Might be good idea to try something new.

Slap a 22" box and a new Garmin dezl 770 and I'm ready to roll. Air ride smooth suspension.

Might take a while to get used to the extra 14 ft behind me.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What ever is cost effective, single axle is best for tolls but I suppose dual axle is better traction in snow, any pro or cons to single vs dual?

I think weight is the biggest issue, go single axle and with the big sleeper and box, even at 33.6 you will be only be able to haul 6k or so. Since you are already over 26k either way go tandems and you will be able to haul closer to 20k.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

iono12345

Rookie Expediter
Driver
US Army
Wait so you can take a tandem and put a 22' box on with out needing to stretch the frame??

new2allthis

Seasoned Expediter
Carrier Management
US Army
I've heard anywhere from 4-6 thousands some include the box some you supply the box,used of course. Make sure you get it done where they will stand behind their work.

As I type this I'm having problems with my truck that I bought already stretched. 05 Petebilt 387, 22 foot box, Cat C15, 10 wheels. Empty with fuel tanks at 1/2 full I scale at 12,160 pounds. With 8 pallets at 10,300 pounds, loaded to the rear door, I scale at 39,660 pounds Gross weight. Im register for 44,000 pounds, so that is ok, but my drives are at 13,380 pounds. My front axle is rated at 12,000, GGRRRR. Monday I will have to install 16 ply tires that can carry 14k pounds. But I still have to content with the axle.

I have four options. 1) move fuel tanks back 2) move drive axle forward 3) add pusher axle 4) install 14K axle Pusher is out of the equation for me. So that leaves front axle, fuel tanks or drive axle that has to move. All three will cost downtime and money.

That is why I said make sure the shop that does the work stands behind it. Mine was done 4 years ago by the previous owner who never had a problem running that way. According to him it was never a problem at the scales. I don't like running that way so I will fix the problem or sell the truck and inform the new owner of the issues.

Good luck with your build, It is a great running setup.

Reactions: T270_Dreamin

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
For the price you are going to pay for the semi and conversion. You should look around for a Str8 truck.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
check on want ad's here there may be a truck that will fit your needs

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
check on want ad's here there may be a truck that will fit your needs

Its gotta be a VOLVO VNM64T630.

Its the best entry level truck, best fuel economy. Drives like a day cab. Dart has some on their fleet.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Still need to consider insurance cost. The price of the truck isn't bad. I can get into one for less then a price of a new Sprinter. This one got away from me, hard to beat a Southern no rust truck. Looks to be in great shape. So much for a $100k Cascadia in the classified section, don't need them anymore. Just need to do the research and get these Volvos converted who knows maybe I can just start buying and selling them and quit driving :D

Hi! Look what i found 2012 VOLVO VNM64T630 in listed for $ 29,500

06 Sprinter is a rough ride boom boom boom, I sure hope these ride smoother. Seat options are plentiful. No sense dumping tons of money into a sinking ship. Stay local in that 06 Sprinter don't do those long hauls son. ;) Maybe the price of the 2018 Sprinter will come down. $55k with a few ad ons. With the recent American Factory perhaps the prices come down to 35k base, 40k with the bells and whistlers.

The VOLVO VNM64T630 is a 12MPG truck with the D11 and can be purchased under 30k$. Show me something else that can do that and I might change my mind.

Last edited:

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
you can order from the factory what you want in a cab and frame , I did for my 2001 western star, took 16' box off my fl60 put it on new truck

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
A word of advice...make sure you're working with a company that understands expediting trucks and it's requirements - including overall regulations.

I still feel bad for a driver from Texas who called the EO office to share how proud he was of his custom 29' straight truck....:banghead:

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Very little info on this in the expedite online forums.

A lot of other trucking sites talk about frame stretching and I've heard report of $3000-8000+

I'll start making some calls here soon and report back with prices. Someone has to do it. Truck manufactures didn't design machines around expediting comfort.

Anyone have a idea of where I can find used 20-22 ft boxes for sale and how much they usually cost? Also labor and capable shops to install box onto frame?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I have had 3 truck's that were, last one was 2001 western star (class 8) from factory for a 16' box took off my fl60 freightlliner
it was class 7 fl 60
give tsi a call there out of north jackson oh
freightline of knoxville
stoops freightliner out of In
they have trucks ready to go
give harris truck and body newport news va a call they done a lot of them
price is about right
go to a truck junk yard they may have some box's
or you can order a new box
go to truck show mid america in louisvill ky in march

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Geo thanks for that info... keep the contacts coming the more we know the better informed we'll be.
I'll take a 20 or 22 ft box. No ready to go trucks this is a project in the works, not sure if I'll do it but I'm pricing everything out. If I can do the stretch and box for $10-12k then it is cost effective.
I gotta find out more info about these axle issues. The volvo I'm going for the VNM is the light weight truck made for city driving and also capable of long hauls. Not sure where Zorry went he knew a good bit about these trucks, he knows about the axle weight limitations. Also if I have a dealers license to go into automotive auctions can I go to the big truck auctions..... don't see why maybe i'll see some other rig dealers from atl bidding against me lol.. I'm not giving too much info out because you might see some of these for sale on here soon, who wouldn't want a 12mpg capable truck with the d11.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
are you good friends with a dealer maybe tag a long with him and get in that way
to become a dealer you have to go to dmv in your state and take a test to become a dealer or sales person
i'm a lic sales person in Va