How much money can a driver make working for a fle

volhost

Seasoned Expediter
Hi, I'm a company driver for an OTR company (TractorTrailer)now. I was thinking about switching to a straight truck in Expedite. I stay out 4-5 weeks now. I looking to go teaming in straight truck to learn the business. and would like to know if I could make around $50,000. a year or is that to much if I don't own the truck?

Thanks for you input.

tec1959

Expert Expediter
RE: How much money can a driver make working for a

Volhost welcome to EO,I have to say that If you run hard you can $50,000 a year but thats before expenses...When I was with Fedex on a "DR" unit I avg $45,000 to $60,000 a year before expenses...Good Luck...

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Truckin' is Truckin'.... the longer you stay out... AND the harder you run, the more money you'll end up making. However, expediting is slightly different in some area's. Some would say if you have a team, and a lift gate and reefer unit and all kinds of other bells and whistles you MIGHT make that 50K after expenses... IF you run hard and stay out AND have a kind (ha ha) dispatch system.

You will hear of rare cases where the solo guy/gal does ok for themselves without all those fancy bells and whistles.

I believe the trick to our transportation industry as a whole is just like the trick to any industry... You have to set yourself apart from the regular. The regular in expediting being the what seems like a million other two axle "regular" dry box straight trucks out there... how you do that is up to you and your will to succeed.

Expediting is about performing excellent service in excellant time.
It's not like regular trucking. Not at all.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

Hey BBB good post and good to hear from you! Missed you at the truck show.

flatbedin

Seasoned Expediter

The only reason one would not be able to net that income is from "self-inflicted" limitations...

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

Why does everyone give false ideas of pay.you all know expedite isnt about running hard,the hard runners are the guys that quit the fastest.
Sitting around waiting for a laod isnt running hard,running hard is a team doing 300000 miles a year,let me run 300000 miles in a year,I wouldnt know what to do with all the cash,but expedite isnt about mileage.Our customers only call when they are in trouble,and unless you are in that perfect place everyday,you will sit.Sure you can take that broker load,but that wont get you anything but a chance to wear your truck out faster,and your net income will be less.
As far as pay scale in a D unit,I havent any idea what is possible.other than D reefer with lift gate,will make as much as a trator trailer,but maybe not a tractor equipped the same way,it will usually make the most.
If you get in the right equipment,learn the ins and outs of this business,50k is possible,have a possitive mind set,might even make more.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

The smallest 1099 for drivers in our D units for 2006 was short of 51K. He had no truck expenses, running single. So, it certainly is possible, depending on your git R done.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

Part of Git R Done is not always saying "I wont" those words really hurt your bottom line. You have the I wont run Canada loads, I wont go to NYC, I wont run the NE, I wont run short loads, I wont .... those are what really get to the bottom line. When you know your rock bottom cost to run your truck you can make wiser decisions on loads. Sometimes you have to run close to that margin to get into a better area or to at least have some income for the day.