How much $ is needed for your 1st 3 weeks out

Exploring Options

New Recruit
Researching
Hi, I'm seriously considering changing careers and sprinter van driving solo as a driver, not owner sounds like a great move. How much money would you suggest having for your first 3 weeks out at 60/40 split. Also what should I bring along besides clothing, do you wish you had brought along something you always brought later? I see a wide spread in cents per mile from a low of .32 per mile as a company driver to highs of around 1.00, what should I expect or insist on? What's a realistic earnings estimate first year out?Thanks for any help you can lend and be safe.

Living the dream

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
You will be in the red the first yr. Have about $10000 on stand by. Factor these expenses food, fuel, motel once a week, showers, entertainment, office supplies, phone bill, monthly medical insurance bill. Have fun.

Exploring Options

New Recruit
Researching
either out of pocket or via a provided company fuel card?
I was assuming out of pocket I hadn't heard of company fuel card. Fuel card sounds good, do you end up paying extra if you use one or is the total simply taken out of your pay. Do most companies offer this option. I'm basically broke right now and I'm saving up what's needed to get out on the road. I've worked two full time jobs paying $13-$15hr to survive but had to cut one last year due to my knee going south and unable to keep up with the 20 year olds I'm 55. Expediting seems to be the best way to earn some real money and see the country, at least it's highways, that someone my age can get into. I hope I'm correct.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Slow down dude !
2 full time jobs at $13 +.
How much money do you need and how much do you think you’ll make driving a Sprinter for an owner ?

Reactions: Turtle

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
There’s a lot of variables to driving that one cannot predict.

My shot in the dark number is $1,500 if the fuel card kicks in after the first week.

Shot in the dark number, not a educated, informed number.