How much fuel is used when idling a straight truck?

driverdog

Seasoned Expediter
Quick question, how much fuel per hour is used when idling a straight truck? I know it depends on the truck, if its in good condition, but I'm just looking for general ballpark numbers.

Thanks.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Generally speaking figure 1 gallon per hour to idle the big engine and 1/4 gallon per hour to run an APU. Along with that figure in somewhat extended maint intervals on the big engine since idling is almost eliminated as well as longer until overhaul. That should give you a fairly good estimate of the payback of an APU.

driverdog

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks, I thought I had read in a post somewhere it was a gallon every hour, I couldn't find the post though. Defenitely sounds like an APU is worth the cost.

Just a ballpark, what is the cost for an average APU on a straight truck?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A brand new Rigmaster is around $7500. At $3 for fuel you'll burn that in 2500 hours of idling the big engine. Add in the extra PM's and shorter overhaul and it's probably more like 1800-2000 hours and maybe less, especially with fuel over $3 a gallon.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I concur. About one gallon per hour. Actual varies by truck and conditions, but that is a good figure to work with.

I recently asked my sleeper manufacturer how much it would cost today to install the generator we have now (Onan). Answer: "About $9,000."

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
While the APU companies like to claim 1/4 gal per hour use, I've heard anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 or more. I would count on 1/2; then claim anything better as a bonus.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Hawk is correct 1/3 min in exterem cold/hot closer to 1/2. Espar bunk heater 1/3 gallon for 10 hours HONEST. Temp in the bunk to hot to keep the windows shut. Even at -1F.

Love my Bunk Heater.... And a Plug for Pro-Heat APUs sure do miss all of the DH miles to visit your shops for REPAIRS over and over and over and over and over over over over 14 times in 16 months. A little over kill for Service dont ya think.