How much does a sleeper cost?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
If you were going to have a brand new 96-100 inch sleeper with double bunks put on a cab and chassis truck how much would it cost?
A ball park fiqure is OK.
Thanks

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Find the ARI website and you can view the various sleepers available and get pricing on all of them.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
around 35,000 plus a 5k cushion for extras you might want at aa sleeper in fort worth.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I expected to hear somewhere from 35-60k and up.
But I don't understand how that cost can be justified.
Why should a 8 foot sleeper cost as much or more than a new 35 foot fifth wheel RV?
Is there some type of special manufacturing process or DOT requirements to justify the cost?

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
Why should a 8 foot sleeper cost as much or more than a new 35 foot fifth wheel RV?
Is there some type of special manufacturing process or DOT requirements to justify the cost?

Supply and demand "Aka" Greed!

ATeam

Retired Expediter

We paid about $70,000 for our custom-built, 132" ARI sleeper in 2006 and I asked them the same question you are asking here. I pointed out that we are paying $70,000 for an 11 foot sleeper and 40 foot camping trailers can be purchased for half that price. What's the difference? I asked.

"Volume" was the one word answer. The sales rep went on to explain that trailer companies build them by the hundreds with standard floor plans and ARI builds them one at a time to customer specs.

I listened but was not totally convinced.

On the other hand, ARI builds a high quality product that can stand the rigors of the road. We have been our ARI sleeper for four years now and it has been the most trouble free part of the truck. It has been driven over 500,000 miles, including some of the roughest roads imaginable. Show me a $35,000 trailer that can hold up to that. Some of those trailers are really cheap and would not survive a drive in and out of New York City, let alone extended and repeated trips over washboard freeways, encounters with trees and even some off road travel.

Our ARI sleeper has kept us cool and refreshed in searing Mojave Desert heat and cozy warm in bitter, sub-zero winter cold. I would not trust a $35,000 trailer to do that.

Our sleeper seems to have more life in it than a $35,000 trailer would, or even a $70,000 trailer. If we replace our truck some day, maybe after it has ten years or more on it, it is a very real option that we would move our sleeper from the old truck to the new. In contrast, camping trailers seem to show their age quickly and with far less miles on them than our sleeper has.

Another consideration is the amount of use the sleeper gets compared to a camping trailer. We are using the sleeper almost every day of the year, all day and all night. Camping trailers used that much would not hold up as well as our sleeper has. They are built for occasional use, not the kind of use we make of our truck sleeper.

Regarding supply and demand pricing, there is more to it than that. The demand for custom-built sleepers has all but collapsed but the prices have not gone down. It costs a certain amount of money to build sleepers like this and regardless of how low the demand may be, there is a point below which the price cannot go if the manufacturer is to remain in business.

Last edited:

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
The best one I have seen on the road was made by a couple who took two 60" Peterbilt sleepers and joined them together. It looks factory, but the owner said he did it at his farm. The sheet metal work convinced me he was formerly an A&P (Airframe & Powerplant) mechanic but he said he had no prior experience. He mentioned he has less than 7 thousand dollars including appliances and an inverter in the project. What a great job! It also includes many fancy one-off features that reminds me of vehicles from the Kennedy Space Center.

If he was willing, I would have him build my next sleeper.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I talked to him a couple times, he did some good work and I also think he has had a lot of experience in metal work. It didn't look hobbled together like some sleepers I have seen, but actually very good work.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
I talked to him a couple times, he did some good work and I also think he has had a lot of experience in metal work. It didn't look hobbled together like some sleepers I have seen, but actually very good work.

The only thing I could get out of him concerning his experience is "we learn to do a lot of things on the farm...you have to"...what a great guy! I am impressed with his 120" sleeper for so little $s.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Same concept here, only using a KW chasis and two factory sleepers.

KW-dbl.jpg

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter

As compared to the RV industry, after market sleepers have a much more limited customer base yet the manufacturers have much of the same cost to manufacture these sleepers as the RV industry.

As with any product, the more that they sell, the greater the chances of the cost coming down. ARI and ICT sleepers are built simular to the high end motor-homes structurally and interior/exterior, etc.

Since you cannot get an oem sleeper simular in size and emenities as an after-market sleeper, it is you needs and desires that justify the cost. Our two custom sleepers cost approximately 80K. The comfort and emenities they both provide us are priceless compared to a standard eom sleeper!

Last edited: