How Much Deadhead

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter
I am curious... what is the average amount of miles that you find yourselves deadheading between loads? Or what are you willing to drive in between to get closer to a better board or location?

I've personally been noticing this past week I racked up quite a bit of DH mileage to get myself either into a better area to sit or to get closer within the board after each POD.
I'd say approx over 100 miles between each load.Since Im still trying to figure out where my carriers customers are I am not sure if Im over driving on my dime in between.
Im not speaking of just loads to slow or far away freight areas, just in general.
One example was a load to the upper Adirondak area, couldn't exactly think an abundance of loads come out of there so I headed directly after down to Syracuse and got out promptly. I've also done these deadheads around NYC, Ohio, Virginia etc. to get to where I felt was a better spot.

I need to invest in a magic 8 ball but until then I call on your experiences with this topic.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
You might try the EO search engine for the word deadhead or variations thereof. Some times a little deadheading is just necessary.

jimmy

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am curious... what is the average amount of miles that you find yourselves deadheading between loads? Or what are you willing to drive in between to get closer to a better board or location?

I've personally been noticing this past week I racked up quite a bit of DH mileage to get myself either into a better area to sit or to get closer within the board after each POD.
I'd say approx over 100 miles between each load.Since Im still trying to figure out where my carriers customers are I am not sure if Im over driving on my dime in between.
Im not speaking of just loads to slow or far away freight areas, just in general.
One example was a load to the upper Adirondak area, couldn't exactly think an abundance of loads come out of there so I headed directly after down to Syracuse and got out promptly. I've also done these deadheads around NYC, Ohio, Virginia etc. to get to where I felt was a better spot.

I need to invest in a magic 8 ball but until then I call on your experiences with this topic.

One of the hardest questions to answer....but you pretty well answered the big part....Learn where your customers are.....2. Learn when to squeeze dispatch for even 10 bucks more for fuel to get out....If you don't ask...I can assure you, most are not going to offer...it takes great will power to refuse that 1600 mile load to Great Falls Mt...if you are not reimbursed in any way UP FRONT for the highly likely 700 miles or so DH back to Minni...the only one going to make money is your carrier on that deal and you'll be a dispatch favourite on their sucker of the month award...Good Luck

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter
You might try the EO search engine for the word deadhead or variations thereof. Some times a little deadheading is just necessary.

jimmy

Thanks had already done that. Seems every time I ask a question here I get these types of answers that include look it up or its been covered back in 2009 when freight was plentiful and gas was cheap! Starting to rethink my participation entirely.

Thanks OVM for humoring me I owe you a like.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks had already done that. Seems every time I ask a question here I get these types of answers that include look it up or its been covered back in 2009 when freight was plentiful and gas was cheap! Starting to rethink my participation entirely.

I wasn't humouring you at all....really...it is what it is.......the % of DH is so specifically oriented that it is hard to put a certain number on.....I think 20% is a very general number that floats around here....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter

New, just let it roll off, its not a "shot at you'...once you have been here 2-3 yrs, and you see the same questiones day in and day out, it gets old answering them over and over...NOW, yes your question is different in that answers back in the day when gas/fuel was cheaper makes your decisions to move a bit more nerve racking....

I am not a goodperson to answer your question because i will DH 200 mile to go to dinner on a friday/ sat night without thinking about it...i will DH from my home in toledo to chicago on a monday if dispatch doesn't get me something by noon...I have no issue with spending money to make money and will move on my dime in a heartbeat...

So, that doesn't mean that everyone should or can...you are still learning your carriers freight lanes...keep track of where you PICK UP at....while deliveries are important, PICK UP points are more important.....you will start to see patterns appear...those are the areas you want to tend to be close to...i didn't say right on top of them, but "close"...as was said in another post, stay in the fringes, thats to your benefit.

how far to go when Dh'ing? thats really a personal think...and a wallet thing for some....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What you're going through is a process that takes a while sometimes, of learning where the freight is and whether or not taking a load to a place where you'll have considerable deadhead after delivery is worth taking, or worth taking without an additional bonus or something. Sometimes you have to look at a load offer and figure out whether it takes to you a good spot or a bad spot, with good or bad being defined as how much deadhead you are likely to have on the backend of it.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter

Sorry I should not have assumed that you had not already thought of checking the old threads. I still look back through them tying to find a helpful hint.

jimmy

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
...it takes great will power to refuse that 1600 mile load to Great Falls Mt...if you are not reimbursed in any way UP FRONT for the highly likely 700 miles or so DH back to Minni...the only one going to make money is your carrier on that deal and you'll be a dispatch favourite on their sucker of the month award...Good Luck
A real world example of that was when I had a load going to Grand Island and they called me while en route to delivery about a load picking up the next morning in Omaha going to Edmonton. 150 mile DH for for 1400 loaded. I turned it down. It paid straight contracted rate with no bonus. They wouldn't even pony up an dime a mile for the 1000-1200 mile deadhead that was gonna be needed on the backend. Dispatch couldn't believe I'd turn down a 1400 mile load. But I was looking at roughly 2500 miles total with only 1400 of them paid miles. It would have paid literally 50 cents a mile all miles, and would have taken 4 days of my time.

Instead, during those same 4 days, I got 4 separate loads of 660, 480, 530 and 450 miles, totaling 2120 miles, all of which were paid my contracted rate with very little deadhead between them. At the same time, some poor newbie sucker deadheaded 300 miles from Davenport to Omaha and took that load to Edmonton. Being in the right place at the right time is what it's all about, but you have to be smart about where you go. It takes time to learn it.

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks guys I am just trying to see where I'm at in relation to others here currently.. I think the 20% sounds fair. I am starting to track patterns but within such a short time its hard, Im putting pen dots on a map to track so as I grow in expedite I can refer to it. (learned this in an old thread here)
I was wondering if with gas prices higher and slower freight if adjustments were being made or if expedite is expedite so get in the right spot dispite costs still applies.

I have a zillion other questions I'm afraid to even ask...
However, I Didn't mean to get snappish but was awakened by some prostitute at 5:45 am who was beating on my van after deadheading into the Charlotte area so am a lil edgy today.
And...No, offer for her company was declined.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a zillion other questions I'm afraid to even ask...

If you have a zillion questions, you should be afraid to ask them. Very afraid! Now if you parceled them out to one or two a day, you should have nothing to fear other than the fact that we will all be long dead before you ask them all.

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter
If you have a zillion questions, you should be afraid to ask them. Very afraid! Now if you parceled them out to one or two a day, you should have nothing to fear other than the fact that we will all be long dead before you ask them all.

I'm not afraid just trying to keep my blood pressure in check as well as protect others from my seemingly pointless questioning.

How about you take a crack at my posted question my fine furred panther friend.. I expected more from you like an Oscar worthy post!! I was looking forward to it as I enjoyed the one last night posted in the soapbox.

Added...Thanks that's more like it, new project now
Your inbox is full so I couldn't reply you busy guy

Last edited:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We try to keep the deadhead to a minimum. Nearest truck stop, etc. But there are some places we will not stay. After a load we usually DH less than 100 miles.
Sometimes if you are in a dead area it is better to DH out to a better one. We had to do that last week from Dallas to Nashville.
But, your dispatchers are looking for a load where you are, not where you will be going unless you tell them in advance.
Be patient and learn where yur company has freight.
Sent from my PG06100 using EO Forums

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The amount of deadhead is less important than the locations and the moneys provided you have a decent idea of locations. Sometimes you just have to guess of course, but as long as the pay per mile for all miles makes sense then the breakdown of deadhead and loaded doesn't really matter.

That is dependent of course on being with a company that pays what they contractually promise you they will pay. You can't take a load and two weeks later be told "Sorry, we're only paying half the fsc we promised you because the customer isn't paying as much.". That's bogus. They owe you what they promised you and it's between them and the customer whether they get paid or not.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
i dont know, our dh is generally under 10% all the time for miles moved to get to a better location. dh miles to a pick up and loaded miles are all the same for us as we figure this into a all miles rate. and have a set minimum that all miles must pay. there are a few places we will dh from but very few. we just dont drive on our own dime much. we dont feel this hurts us much. our income is on par of what most other do if not better cause of it. dispatch can get you loads and time if needed to get to a pick up most times but not always. as long as income doesnt suffer we dont drive on our dime and waste fuel. we like to be paid.