How many hours and how much money can I make driving cargo van, expediting, regionally?

Sandin Hudson

New Recruit
Driver
I'm new to this and start next week, I'd be driving cargo van, regionally. The van owner would pay for maintenance and insurance. He said everything made would be split 50-50. How many hours would I be looking at driving and potential to make how much money driving those? I'd still like to be home every night.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
You will be lucky to work 2 days a week if you deadhead home every night

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
He must be doing some sort of short range deliveries probably less than 300 miles. Is there a company name?

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
5 to 600 miles or dollars?
A 50 50 split and you pay for fuel?
So you get a 300 mile run pay for 600 miles worth of fuel and work 14 hour days
A 300 mile run for try hours pays what?
50% deadhead is not very profitable.I would question make any real money being home every night

Sandin Hudson

New Recruit
Driver
5 to 600 miles or dollars?
A 50 50 split and you pay for fuel?
So you get a 300 mile run pay for 600 miles worth of fuel and work 14 hour days
A 300 mile run for try hours pays what?
50% deadhead is not very profitable.I would question make any real money being home every night
$500-$600 a week.
These are all of which I do not have the answer for, the reason I am here asking.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
Are you expected to pay for 100% of fuel?
If so is he getting 50% of fuel surcharge?
I do not know what try hours pays for cargo vans but with all the vans out there I wouldn't expect it to be much. I get that drivers are attracted to no log books and no scales but is there really enough money to drive a van and split the money?

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
The recruiter stated all of his drivers are long time employees and he is a very easy guy to work with.
Really employees or 1099 contractors.best thing to do is ask for the phone numbers of these drivers and speak with them. Wouldn't want to scare you away from a good gig may be a great opportunity but if it's 50% deadhead and one mini run per day I would question 500-600 per week in your pocket after fuel

Reactions: Sandin Hudson

Sandin Hudson

New Recruit
Driver
The recruiter stated all of his drivers are long time employees and he is a very easy guy to work with.
Really employees or 1099 contractors.best thing to do is ask for the phone numbers of these drivers and speak with them. Wouldn't want to scare you away from a good gig may be a great opportunity but if it's 50% deadhead and one mini run per day I would question 500-600 per week in your pocket after fuel
My apologies, the contractors...not employees. Yeah, honestly...I'm new to it all and don't know too much about it. I tried paying attention the best I could but was at another gig working when I took the call. I meet with him Sunday and will get more info and post it then to see if it's going to be worth it. I mean I guess I'll see for myself my first week...just want answers or what to expect before then.

Sandin Hudson

New Recruit
Driver
I live in Michigan and if I had to drive to Muskegon and bring something to Detroit, I'd stay down for an additional hour or so and call dispatchers asking if they had anything in the area that I could bring back north, trying to avoid deadheading.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
MI used to be good a lot of short runs but I ran under my own authority and could get 175-300 per run for runs around 100 miles and could do 2 or sometimes even 3 in a day.but that was doing a bristol IN up to MI for ch Robinson and maybe deadhead up to grand rapids and come back for panther and if I would get lucky pick one for tri state but that was a then and was not locked into running for 1 company who has 30 vans within 20 miles to spread the freight around to. Plus used vans are cheap if at all possible and you are dead set on doing this type work I would get my own van cause you will already be giving a big chunk of the pie to the company you run for and when you cut that pie again by just being a van driver instead of owner it really won't leave much left on the table for you if you are only getting 50% and paying for fuel to chase freight.I can see being a driver in a straight or tractor as the cost to obtain one can be quite high and the rates are a little better.but at the same time everyone has to start someplace so just talk to his present drivers and past if possible.also try to find some try hour drivers sitting around the truck stops in your area to get an idea how they are moving. Either way you go I wish you the best of luck as all van drivers need it no matter what company they are running for

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Plus used vans are cheap if at all possible and you are dead set on doing this type work I would get my own van cause you will already be giving a big chunk of the pie to the company you run for and when you cut that pie again by just being a van driver instead of owner it really won't leave much left on the table for you if you are only getting 50% and paying for fuel to chase freight.
Driving an owner's van will give him a taste of this business without any significant investment. Why not give it a try for a few months and see. Maybe this owner has a lock on Try Hours short haul freight,

Reactions: xiggi

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
Yes that may be very true moot.it does not cost very much to try it that way.