How long?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As of today 29 NFL players have been arrested on felony charges just since the last Super Bowl. The NFL is infested with thugs. The NBA is not much better. Hockey and MLB can't be too far behind. Then we have the doping in professional bike racing.

How long are we going to continue to support these teams, leagues and sports that not only allow, but encourage, this behavior?

We COULD cut way down on this problem AND cut down on street crime with ONE, easy, move. Don't allow ANYONE with prior felony convictions into pro sports. Same goes for known prior drug use.

Too bad it is ONLY about the money.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's too bad the bad ones mess things up for everyone. I know a guy that played 5 seasons with the NFL and 2 with the CFL and he's a stand up guy with a 3 year old daughter and as nice and normal a guy as you could want to know. That's not a bad idea. Nobody with a felony conviction allowed. I'm sure our friends over at the ACLU would find all kinds of fault with it though.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's too bad the bad ones mess things up for everyone. I know a guy that played 5 seasons with the NFL and 2 with the CFL and he's a stand up guy with a 3 year old daughter and as nice and normal a guy as you could want to know. That's not a bad idea. Nobody with a felony conviction allowed. I'm sure our friends over at the ACLU would find all kinds of fault with it though.

Yeah, it's not the thugs fault that they are thugs. I guess it's just proof that, for the most part anyway, once a thug, always a thug.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As of today 29 NFL players have been arrested on felony charges just since the last Super Bowl. The NFL is infested with thugs. The NBA is not much better. Hockey and MLB can't be too far behind. Then we have the doping in professional bike racing.

How long are we going to continue to support these teams, leagues and sports that not only allow, but encourage, this behavior?

We COULD cut way down on this problem AND cut down on street crime with ONE, easy, move. Don't allow ANYONE with prior felony convictions into pro sports. Same goes for known prior drug use.

Too bad it is ONLY about the money.

How about we don't let anyone with a traffic ticket get a CDl. Your idea amazes me for someone who is so into this country and right and wrong. I thought here were allowed people to make mistakes in life and after that we want them to become productive members of society. Something like 1% of NFL players get charged with felonies and that makes it full of thugs? Some 19 year old gets busted for smoking weed and should never be allowed to play again? Does your brain hear what your mouth is saying sometimes? I thought I heard somewhere innocent until proven guilty. Charged is not convicted.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How about we don't let anyone with a traffic ticket get a CDl. Your idea amazes me for someone who is so into this country and right and wrong. I thought here were allowed people to make mistakes in life and after that we want them to become productive members of society. Something like 1% of NFL players get charged with felonies and that makes it full of thugs? Some 19 year old gets busted for smoking weed and should never be allowed to play again? Does your brain hear what your mouth is saying sometimes? I thought I heard somewhere innocent until proven guilty. Charged is not convicted.

First off, I was speaking in general. Second, most first time pot busts are not felonies. Third, not one of the arrests that have been made were for mistakes, they were arrested for deliberate actions. I also said that they could not play if they had felony CONVICTIONS, not accusations. A summary traffic ticket is not a felony. I WOULD bar ANYONE who has had a felony DUI/DWI/DWD CONVICTION from holding a CDL.

ALL crimes are deliberate actions, NOT mistakes. Repeated criminal activity is often overlooked, if not condoned, if the thug in question is important to winning. It is all about the money, no wins, no money.

Giving free passes and not holding people responsible for their actions is one of the primary reasons this country is in such a mess today. These people are getting rich playing a game, They make more PLAYING one game than many people make in a year. There is NO excuse.

As to the numbers of "THUGS" in pro leagues, that is why I have all but stopped watching them. There is more than ample evidence in the NFL, NHL, NBA etc of players DELIBERATELY trying to injure other players.

Can a criminal turn his/her/it's life around? Without a doubt. Is it common? I don't think so. Is it societies responsibility to turn them around? Nope, it is their responsibility to do so, just as it is your's and mine responsibility NOT to become criminals. Criminal activity is a CHOICE.

Adding to the problem is the fact that kids look up to, and try to become, more like their sports "heroes". That adds an even greater responsibility for pro players to act in a law abiding, responsible manner.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No you were not speaking in general. 99% of the NFL players are never charged but for one percent you stop watching. For someone so into the constitution your sure quick to deny people rights. Kind of a thug attitude IMHO.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Adding to the problem is the fact that kids look up to, and try to become, more like their sports "heroes". That adds an even greater responsibility for pro players to act in a law abiding, responsible manner.

Parents are responsible for raising their children.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No you were not speaking in general. 99% of the NFL players are never charged but for one percent you stop watching. For someone so into the constitution your sure quick to deny people rights. Kind of a thug attitude IMHO.

I denied no one their rights. The is NO right to play football. There is NO right to commit crimes, endanger other people's lives etc. Nothing I have said would stop ANY of these guys from becoming a productive member of society. There is FAR more to life than pro sports.

I saw the "special" treatment that many who excelled in sports got in high school. They were allowed to get away with stuff that a normal student would be expelled for. I saw, primarily football players, get stopped for drunk driving, in high school, and NOTHING was done. NO record, NO punishment. That teaches a GREAT lesson, don't you agree?

I used to work at a youth prison. On rare occasions some of our "students" were allowed to go to the local public schools. NOT ONE was sent for excelling in academics, art or music, ALL were sent to play basketball or football. They DISPLACED kids who would have other wise played, kids who had NEVER got in trouble. Everyone of them got in trouble there, except one, he was given a free ride to play college football at Youngstown State. He went, and got arrested and convicted for selling crack. Two of the "kids" that were sent to play at the public school were in prison for VIOLENT crimes. Like attempted murder for one and aggravated assault for the other. BOTH reverted and did the SAME things there, were arrested, again, convicted again, for violent crimes.

What does that teach? Living a proper life is rewarded with not being allowed to play and that there is little that you can do wrong that will keep you from playing sports if you are good at it. They are taught that, winning at all costs, is more important than living a crime free life.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
If I get a bunch of tattoos on my arms and chest, can I be a football or a basketball player? If I get them with color, do I make more money????????????