How Long Have You Been Trucking ? Expediting ?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Another thread brought up a question about Ten years of service .
So,
1) how long have you been trucking ? Longest length at one carrier ?
2) How long have you been expediting ?
How long at one carrier ?

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
7 almost 8 years now started out with bolt the first year then express one for 2 years then a short stint at load 1 and then the last 4 as a muti carrier guy.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
12 years in trucking, six years with one carrier. 2 years in expediting with the same carrier currently

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
13 years, 5 months with two different carriers driving a tractor trailer.

Was with my first carrier as a company driver and then as a contractor for a total of 11 years 3 months. 9 years and some change as a company driver and 2 years and some change as a contractor. They were a regional truckload outfit. Did a lot of automotive freight mostly contracted dedicated stuff. And a big hazmat account. Along with typical general freight. I did a lot of JIT freight for them.

I didn't realize it at the time but some of their "extra freight on the weekends" where they looked for volunteers who wanted to work was true expedited. I went home most weekends but sometimes volunteered for that freight. To me back then a load was a load and freight was just freight nothing special about any of it cause it all paid the same anyways.

My second, and current carrier 2 years, 2 months and counting. Been doing expedite for almost 2 years now. Not exclusively. Only when the rates are good enough. The one thing I like about TT expedite is when expedite rates are in the toilet I can always fall back on general freight. General freight trends much the same (not EXACTLY the same always but has ups and downs) as expedited and at times pays as good or even much better than some of the best expedited freight I've hauled.

Expedite will be bad and general freight good or vice versa, or both will be bad or good at the same time. One never knows. One thing I do know 2013 has been an unusal year, could not depend on previous "typical" trends, at least I couldn't. So I jump back and forth between the 2 and follow the money. When both are down park and wait it out. Funnest trucking I've ever done.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Got into trucking in 1971. Family business. 34 TTs at its peak.
Went into shop for Ryder Truck Rental, then started driving about 1977.
14 years pulling bulk hazmat.
Ten years hauling GM trucks for AAG. Would still be there, or collecting teamster pension if Kodiak/ Top Kicks had stayed in production.
Almost 5 years at Fedex. Always a D or DR.

Next move will be retirement in 3-5 years.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
1) Trans & Whse management from 1996-2011. (~15 yrs)
2) Started company, driving expedite, since April 2012. (19 months)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Trucking and Expediting 10 years.
Seven years with one carrier, three with another.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Started 1969
15 years one carrier. Triples lane northwest.
Started Expedite 2001 with Landstar Express.
Went on my own 2003 still there.

Won't retire till the Daisy's start coming up, to much fun and adventure.
44 years of marital bliss.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
20 years T/T, 13 of those with the same company. This January will mark 17 years in expediting. 9½ with Con-Way and 7½ with Panther.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I have been in Transpotation for 26 years. 18 years 9 months in Expediting. 13 years 9 months with Roberts Express/FedEx Custom Critical and 5 years one month with Panther Expedited Services. Man how time has flown by.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Eight years as a courier. Seven in NYC, one delivering pharma for Prestige. Six months expediting, all with Express Logistics, and also concurrently with first Prestige then On Dekk. Happy with the EL & OD combo. :)
Never driven T/T. Flattop van now, tall van next, then tall vans until the day I become freight in the back of a Cadillac. :eek:

malthom

Rookie Expediter
6yrs with one carrier and said1 yr with my current carrier. Expiditor cargo van

"Don't waste tomorrow on yesterday."

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Been doing expedite since 1983 while a junior in high school. Back then I ran for myself (customer was my Dad.....Komatsu America/Dresser) parts to O'Hare Airport for NFO stuff. In college ran some freight for Airkon Air Freight between Bloomington, IL and Peoria, IL. When I moved to Atlanta, my customer base included ASAP Air Freight, Xpress Cargo Systems, Imperial Air Freight, Cargo Inc., Sonic Air, Admiral Air Express, Komatsu Dresser. When I moved to Illinois hooked up with United Express System, K&L Freight Management, T&K Trucking, MP Logistics, and Alliance Express.

rkenner

Active Expediter
I started in trucking when George Washington wanted his cannons moved from Newport, Rhode Island to Yorktown, Va. for the siege of Yorktown. Trucked for the Continental Army until the Treat of Paris in 1783, then took some time off until I went with the company I am with now and have been here since 1904.