How in the hell did he do that????

Jim

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
This past Wednesday night, while passing the evening at the Detroiter, I watched a very frustrated bvan driver try to get into his vehicle. He had locked his keys in the truck, using the electric door lock, and spent over 3 hours trying, in vain, to get the door open. He used the old coat hanger trick, which did not work, and he eventually had to call a locksmith. The cost was 60 dollars. The next day I went over and showed him a trick I learned a long time ago. I will now share it with all of you.

Get a spare set of keys, take them off the ring. Cut 8 inches of duct tape. Remove the rear licence plate from your vehicle. Put the keys on the sticky side of the duct tape. Stick the keys to the back of the plate, with the tape. Put the plate back on the van, using the original screws. All ways carry a quarter, so you can get the plate off the van, rip the tape off the plate, open the door with the spare key, and save yourself sixty dollars!!! For this public service I will accept the accolades of my adoring fans. Thanks, Jim Bunting...

char

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
another way is to keep a spare key on a chain around neck or spare in wallet

LittleBigTruck

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We locked ourselves out once. Managed to get in thru the sleeper window. Now, I carry my set of keys even when we're home. If you make a habit of always carriyng them, the only way you'll get locked out is to have a hole in your pocket!

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Jim,

That is a good idea. I have been trying to teach Hooligan to hit the button that will open the door on my van. So far he hasn't mastered the unlock proceedure. But he has looked me out several times.

Bob

Jim

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Bill, I'll give you the plate number, it's Ontario 349 OBD, a brown Ford E350. Now all you have to do is figure out where I have installed the "kill switch " and you will be all set!! Ha Ha.

cj

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My Cocker Spaniel locks us out. I now pin an extra key to the waistband of my pants just in case.

Ridgerunner

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Nope, not just jack russells, Rott/Pits do it too. And then she looks at me like, ......what?

Ridgerunner.

I look forward to God's judgement...

Leviticus ch. 20 verse 13 reads;

"If a man also lie with mankind as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon THEM." (emphasis mine)

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Jim For years we have used the small magnetic boxes that you can put a spare key in and attach it somewhere underneath.Boxes cost about a $1. and they have vever fallen off.But since my Freightliner doors don!t like to latch for some reason when the temerature is under 40,i don!t have to worry in the winter.LOL..Good to see you in Louisville,next time I will take you up on that beverage offer..

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Jim For years we have used the small magnetic boxes that you can put a spare key in and attach it somewhere underneath.Boxes cost about a $1. and they have vever fallen off.But since my Freightliner doors don!t like to latch for some reason when the temerature is under 40,i don!t have to worry in the winter.LOL..Good to see you in Louisville,next time I will take you up on that beverage offer..

Jim

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks Rich, it was nice to see you too. I was only sorry you and the co-pilot had to go to Missouri, instead of staying around.

I have had no luck with those magnetic boxes. They never seem to stay where I put them, hence the tape idea. Now that vans do not have vent windows, I had to do something to make sure I could get in again. I see the guys with the little dogs have their share of trouble too!! If I had to pay a locksmith to get in my van, you can be sure the dog would walk home. LOL jim Bunting..

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
It amazes me there are so many uses for duct tape! It is a good idea. I have a key hidden on the truck held in place with a coat hanger. As long as it works. As another famous Canadian once said "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."...lol