How does everyone pay for Gas/Diesel?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Okay, I have a comdata card that is issued to me from the company I am leased onto. They also issued me a Texas Fuel Fleet Card/Fuelman.
Is there any advantage in using the comdata over my own credit card? Does using the comdata get me the cash price at the truck stops. Does my fleet card give me a price advantage?
How does everyone pay for their fuel?
I just want to get the best deal, of course

miker

Seasoned Expediter
this was covered in a post 2-3 months ago, I think the majority said they use a capitol one card for fuel only and paid it off at the EOM and racked up CC points

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I just call in from the pump and tell them i am a swift truck and drive off,,,,lol i use the comdata card at the t/a because Panther gets one heck of a discount at the t/a in some places as much as $0.40 off of the pump price no matter how many points

guido4475

Not a Member
Yea, I was going to say, it is like 11 cents a gallon more to use a credit card at some fuel stops.I use comdata and tch.Comdata lets me load fuel on my card by dollar amount, Tch lets me load fuel on my card by gallons.I like the gallon option bettter.

miker

Seasoned Expediter
your paying a higher price at the pump with your visa or master card

I dont use the credit/debit card unless I have to, I try to pay cash as much as I can, even if it means paying 2 dollars to get the cash out of the atm at the truck stop it still saves me more than using the credit/debit card

wellarmed

Not a Member
We use a debit card from transportation alliance bank(TAB or Flying J Bank)we get cash price at Flying J,and Petro also offers cash price on debit cards.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
yeah, i figured using my credit card was the expensive way to go. Does anyone know if you use the Comdata, do you pay the cash price or the credit price?

termite289

Expert Expediter
i use com data, issued by the company. have no desire to pay extra for fuel, and then interest on top of that. every credit card i have ever had has been more of a headache than they were worth

babs3361

Expert Expediter
You will pay cash price when using your comdata at the pump. If you are getting fuel check out the net amout on the reciept you may even get a better discount then that. We at Panther get a great discount at TA's for fuel like Scuba said. Have gotten a 40 cent discount off the cash price. I know other companies also have discount programs too.

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use Comdata at TA's( Get a Great Discount thur Tri-State) and Tab Bank Card at Flying J. Stay away from using Credit Cards as they will bite you if you dont pay them off in Full.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
You will pay cash price when using your comdata at the pump. If you are getting fuel check out the net amout on the reciept you may even get a better discount then that. We at Panther get a great discount at TA's for fuel like Scuba said. Have gotten a 40 cent discount off the cash price. I know other companies also have discount programs too.

I will have to use my comdata at different truck stops and see if I get a discount

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We use TCheck since that is what FDCC uses. You always get the cash price. We fuel mainly at TA due to the huge discounts there. I just wish that they would clean up thier places. Many of them are just plain ratty.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
We provided a list of fuel stops that we had a negotiated discount with then it wuz up to the driver to figgure out what wuz the least pain for them between a comdata discount and taking their fee hosing, or using the TAB at the J. When the J seemed to be discounting, they were better. These days it seems to be hit and miss on prices because they are all over the board. Some discounts are pretty good tho up to 16-18 cents.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Is there any sort of website to goto for discounts using the comdata? or is it different for each company?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Whomever issued your card should have a list of where their discount is honored.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
1 CC that pays me cashback, and i make 4 payments a month on avg so that there is normally a -0- balance to start each week....

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
If you want a good website for finding pump prices you can go to:

www.dieselboss.com

It lists the pump price for all the major chains in all states.
It is a helpful tool, also makes it easy to find a truckstop.:)

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
I use FleetOne. No good at Flying J, but that is their loss. The card has most of the advantages as others. I have never had a problem and I like the way they debit the balance every week out of my checking account. Just too simple for a simple mind.