How can my contract be valid when they aren't giving me loads?

intransit

Seasoned Expediter
I've been sitting since last Tuesday. I haven't made any money for almost a week. I just started with this company almost 3 weeks ago. My first week they had me busy and running, but the second week was nothing but sitting. In a straight truck.

I can't be sitting out here making no money.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You need to be in the right place at the right time. Some weeks you'll be in the right place at the right time and make lots of money, other weeks not so much.

The contact is valid because, without even looking at it, I'll bet nowhere in the contract does it state the carrier will guarantee you any loads at all.

intransit

Seasoned Expediter
But that doesn't even make sense? How can anyone expect you go be out here not making any money? This isn't volunteer work...

Contracts are for the benefit of both parties, not just the company's benefit at the contractor's expense...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
But that doesn't even make sense? How can anyone expect you go be out here not making any money? This isn't volunteer work...
I dunno. How can you expect a carrier to crap emergency freight on demand in order to guarantee you loads?

Contracts are for the benefit of both parties, not just the company's benefit at the contractor's expense...
What does your contact say about the carrier guaranteeing you will get loads?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Out of curiosity, how much did you study and prepare for this career? I'm not out to beat you up. I'm out to help anyone coming along reading this. Your posts so far sound like it was very little. Anyone reading this and interested in expediting should understand it isn't just getting into a truck and turning a key just as dental hygienist isn't merely buying some picks and a spit sink and a plumber isn't buying a wrench and pants too short to cover your ass.

Anyone wanting those careers has to go to great lengths of studying and education. For expediting it is here at the EO university. At a minimum an expediting student should read back at least 3 years in the General, Newbies and Recruiter forums, every single thread title. Any thread that sounds educational and informative should be read in it's entirety. That will provide enough education to hold an apprentice title and be ready to pursue the career and a journeyman rating.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner

There are no guarantees in this business, if no one makes a mistake we dont have freight. This is not truckload where freight is preplanned most of the time. Sorry you had to find out the hard way but you should have known this already. Be patient and things should even themselves out. Some weeks are good and some bad. Take advice from us long time expediters and weather the slow weeks and cherish the good and dont spend all you earn. Expediting is just another form of legalized gambling. Do you feel lucky, well, do ya !!!!!!!!!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Think of this is you being a tow truck driver parked on the side of the road waiting for someone to have an accident or breakdown. You're an opportunistic vulture waiting... waiting... waiting... to take advantage of someone else's misfortune.

Think of this as you being an ambulance driver, or a firefighter, sitting there waiting... waiting... waiting... for something bad to happen, and you rush to the rescue.

Think of this as fishing. You bait the hook, throw the line into the water, and sit there waiting... waiting... waiting for the bobber to, you know, bob. You get a few nibbles, and then a strike, and things go nuts for a while as you land that fish. Then, you sit back down, bait the hook, and do it all over again.

Think of this as you're Otis Redding and you're sittin' in the morning sun, and you'll be sittin' when the evening comes,
Watching the ships roll in, then you'll watch them roll away again, yeah.

You're sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watchin' the tide roll away, ooh
Your just sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time... :D

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Think of this as you're Otis Redding and you're sittin' in the morning sun, and you'll be sittin' when the evening comes,

Don't give up your day job.

:yuck:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are no guarantees in this business, if no one makes a mistake we dont have freight. This is not truckload where freight is preplanned most of the time. Sorry you had to find out the hard way but you should have known this already. Be patient and things should even themselves out. Some weeks are good and some bad. Take advice from us long time expediters and weather the slow weeks and cherish the good and dont spend all you earn. Expediting is just another form of legalized gambling. Do you feel lucky, well, do ya !!!!!!!!!!
Tom I've been saying that for years...if a shipper/logistics company has a good day...we are going to have a bad day.....LOL

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
It amazes me how many go into this business expecting everything to go right...I spent 1.5 years driving for someone else, meanwhile asking questions, learning from those on here and elsewhere. Then I went to the expo. Test drove and asked 1000's of questions of owners about the vehicles they bought or have owned, then asked more questions. Always reading every word I could find to make me more aware of what I was getting into. I also minimized any of my personal costs (mortgage/rent, other expenses). Then, I bought my vehicle. I am STILL asking questions, reading this site...I'm not a pro, but I know even now nothing is guaranteed and on top of all this I have been driving commercial trucks (van, reefer, flatbed, dump trailer, dump truck, car hauler) since 1995.

In my mind, if you don't do the work of learning this business, you will not be successful. He'll you could do everything right and STILL not be successful. As I heard many say over the years, the sure fire way to make $1 million in this job is to start with $2 million.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Think of this is you being a tow truck driver parked on the side of the road waiting for someone to have an accident or breakdown. You're an opportunistic vulture waiting... waiting... waiting... to take advantage of someone else's misfortune.

Think of this as you being an ambulance driver, or a firefighter, sitting there waiting... waiting... waiting... for something bad to happen, and you rush to the rescue.

Think of this as fishing. You bait the hook, throw the line into the water, and sit there waiting... waiting... waiting for the bobber to, you know, bob. You get a few nibbles, and then a strike, and things go nuts for a while as you land that fish. Then, you sit back down, bait the hook, and do it all over again.

Didn't know you were a singer! Good Job Expeditor!

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been sitting since last Tuesday. I haven't made any money for almost a week. I just started with this company almost 3 weeks ago. My first week they had me busy and running, but the second week was nothing but sitting. In a straight truck.

I can't be sitting out here making no money.
Hi there! Your Profile to the left says you joined here, EO July of 2013. Have you been operating your ST since then and Expediting? Or did you research here, read and ask questions prior to Contracting on with a Company?
I'm in an extended Sprinter, O/O, used to drive TT...but before I began this "TYPE" of freight transporting, I read and read and read, asked questions...then, before I even bought my own Sprinter I had to make sure I could make Pay all my Bills in this Profession. So, I drove another Owner's Sprinter for a few Months, just to see what I would AVERAGE, IF I bought my own vehicle.
I recall the Recruiter back in '11 telling me I'd AVERAGE annually a Gross of between 40-70K as an O/O. Depending on many variables in my Life Style, my Freight Opportunities, my time In Service and my Home Time Desired.
Patience, Averaging and Distracting yourself are going to become your Best Friends if you're going to hang in there. We have some EXTREMELY Slow Months each year too btw.
There is NOTHING Steady or Constant about Expediting. Never expect or Assume and always be Ready. Take a Deep Breath and get online here and use your Spare Time to READ back...all your answers are one this Site pretty much and we're pretty darned helpful.
Heck, in a Sprinter, I can have a $200 week or a $3200 week. A v e r a g e. your Pay out over MANY M o n t h s.
If after a year or two you're still not making enough, you've tightened your monthly expenses, then this type of trucking may not fit your Financial needs. I hope too you had a little emergency back up $ saved up. Good Luck to You and I hope our Posts help you some.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was fortunate I got on the learn while you earn program. I was an employee of a start up expedite company. I drove a company owned van or a company leased straight truck. I did this for about 14 months before buying a new van and becoming an O/O. While I was an employee I met several O/Os and asked a variety of questions. I did a bunch of math, much of it based on a worst case scenario of gasoline hitting a $1.50/gallon. I determined even at double the current price I could survive.

I'm still surviving but its not as easy as it was back then. The money tree isn't as fruitful as it once was but one can still make a living doing the expedite thing. Today you have E.O., use it. Do the research, ask specific questions and get out and talk to expediters in person.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Trouble maker!

:inpain:
It's okay, I'm SOoooo used to it.
When I was driving TT and would go inside to eat dinner, I've had Drivers tell me "I am taking Jobs away from Men and that I should be home Baking Cookies"...."or that I could double my money in the Lots at night". These are not Men to me. They're just Fearful, Blind and Ignorant.
Turtle was just pulling my Chain...he was just bored perhaps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Opel2010

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have been at this for only 10 weeks now, with the last week staying home to insulate my van and get my buddy heater working properly. I rode with a friend almost three years ago for about four months and I thought I might like to do this, so when I got home, I started reading on here like they are saying. I read everything I could and then started asking questions. These guys won't sugar-coat anything, but they have all been honest about their replies, why wouldn't they be. Look at how many seasoned drivers are on this board. They are not doing anything extremely different that what you are doing, but they are making money, or they would not still be here. I was frustrated the first couple of weeks and questioning myself if I made the right choice, but my new van had broke down, and I got a run to California, which took it's toll on me to get out of there. After 9 weeks though, I was able to save enough money to head home and insulate the van, while missing a week of work. I have a brand new van payment, so you know I need to make money out here. Try to stay positive, negativity is your worst friend. If you start getting upset and complaining to people you work with, they will start to want to ignore your calls. Stay personable and get to know your dispatchers, you will find the ones you like and feel comfortable with, and this will also help in the long run. Just like they have all said on here, I have had some really crappy weeks, but then I have run my butt off and that made up for those bad weeks. I am at home in Florida and I know this is not the place to be, but I will wait a day or so and hope to hit a home run out of here, or I will head to Georgia or South Carolina. I have a long way to go, but I am really enjoying the journey I am on, and I can't wait for the Expo to meet and learn much more from these people on here.

Best of luck, Taz

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry for the rant, but I forgot to mention one more thing. Don't take everything as gospel from all the drivers. Some things work better for others than it would for you, and vice versa. I had heard that the company I run for is kinda low on the totem pole, so right away I tell myself I need to find a better carrier, just based on what I have heard. Now, I really like all the people I deal with, from the owner, manager, and the dispatchers. There might be moments, but all-in-all, I like running for this carrier, but it all takes patience, just like life does.

Ok, I'm done now. How bout my Patriots, C'mon

Reactions: vandriver2