how can i get my B cdl without going to a trucking

wano

Seasoned Expediter
i want to drive a straight truck and maybe in the future get my wife to drive with me as a team.i have driven a international 4900 firetruck when i was a firefighter.i can get my permit but i cant get a truck to practice in and to take the road test,i need any info on how to get my B cdl without going to a school.thanks.wayne in london,ky

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
RE: how can i get my B cdl without going to a truc

if you just need it for the test try truckmasters truck driver training I remember a friend that needed his cdls after getting out of the military and they basically rented him a truck, it worked out real nice as they were the ones that also gave him the test

JoeMP2

Seasoned Expediter

Here in Kentucky there is a roundabout way of getting a class "B" CDL w/o paying a truckdriving school. nearly all the local boards of education seek applicants to train for driving school buses. They will train for free, and those who complete the training get a class "B" CDL. OF course you are expected to drive a bus for them and you should for a period of time. After driving for the BOE, perhaps you would go to straight truck driving. It's a circuitous route, but it is free training.

Reactions: 96to22

panthercub

Seasoned Expediter

If you know someone who has a CDL A or B you can rent a truck on test day. Your friend will have to drive you to the test site obviously, and the rental would have to be in his name. That is how I took my test. I had plenty of experience already in a <26,000 st truck, so we just did some pratice skills stuff the morning of the test. Rental cost me 200 bucks (glad I passed the first time!)

Daniel
Panther 12055

ExpeditersWife

Seasoned Expediter

My husband is currently studying for his class B's too..he currently has his class C's and did drive a straight truck for over a year...

In Indiana we have to go to a test site and pay to use one of their trucks...which will run about $250. A friend of mine told me that I could try renting a class B truck from U-haul or Ryder to practice and use for the driving test..he told me his friend did it and it was much cheaper than paying to use the test sites truck. It's an option to check into...I know we are going to check into it.. If I find out something here soon I'll be sure to post our results.

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

I never did have what one may consider a lot of experience with a straight truck, here and there I would drive a 5 ton or 2.5 ton in the Army, drove a 1,000 gal tanker, aviation fuel and crop dusting chemicals back when I was 15, occassional hertz rental for moves etc.
So when I decided to go into expediting, I was undecided as to van or straight truck. I elected to get a Class B so if I went straight tuck I would be ready.

Went to Penske and told the owner what my plan was, told him I would pay someone to spend a half day with me (teaching and refresher) and to accompany me to the DL station. As I recall the total cost was around $200-$250.00 which I felt was worth it. Cost was for truck rental, fuel, and the mechanic who rode with me and gave me pointers, esp on air brakes which was my first.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter

This is how I did it.

Contact either a Driving School or a Community College I used Isothiermal out of Forest City N.C. they are hooked up with a Driving School (very large out of MT.)

Rent a large Ryder with Airbrakes, I paid the instructors expenses to come to Charlotte take me back up to the school where we did the driving test, first you must get your written done with the DMV and have a temporary. After you compelte the Driving Test go back to the DMV with your letter of passing and your all set.

Remeber though you must go to an Accredited School, one that Panther, FECC, or the other big companies recogonize otherwise your going to need min 2 years expierence trying the other routes.

Cost for everything should be around $600.00 including truck rental, instructor expense, DL at DMV. You could practice with just a rental truck and remember the air brake section and the steps you need to go thru, than rent the airbrake. NO Class B, NO Airbrake rental.

This also served me well in getting my Class A, as I was able to not have to attend the Class itself. Passed the written, paid $450.00 for practice and training for 8 hours with a TT, than did my Road Test, went to the DMV and was issued a Class A. Had I not done my class B two years earlier with them I would have had to gone thru all of the classes. They did give me a certificate stating that I had the expierence and qualifiactions to drive a Class A thus the same as having gone thru the Class as both companies I have been with accepted it gladly. Otherwise all they could give me was a CDL but I also recieved the endorsement letter.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter

I got my CDL class B in NJ without going to school.

My test was scheduled on a Monday so I hired an instructor from local driving school over the weekend and we drove over the exact course the test would be given Monday over and over and over again the entire weekend. Pre-trip and post-trip inspections were also done when not driving on course. Actually it was 8 hours Sat and Sun.

By Sunday evening I was very confident of passing the test on Monday.

Murphy’s Law

Sunday night it snowed a foot or more so when I arrived to pick up instructor and truck at school I was told the road test will probably be entirely different than we had practiced.

So we arrived at test site it was 10* very windy the last thing state inspector wanted to do is leave the confines of a warm office taking some rookie over the course in these conditions.

Out we go to the truck for pre-trip and I’m ready to start. I start with checking windshield stating loudly “windshield shows no signs of cracks†then check the windshield blades stating loudly “they operate properly and are in good conditionâ€. I’m reading to check head lamps and he says alright move around to the back of the truck out of the wind. Well I’m in a black hole as I had memorized the entire test in one particular sequences and this guy was screwing up my thought process. It took a few moments but I regain my composure and starting rattling off one or two items and he says okay lets get into the truck.

Once in the truck he allowed me to complete the pre-check without any distractions. I asked him where to now and he says just drive ahead for a few blocks and he’ll advise where to go. The driveway used to simulate backing to a dock is covered in 1’ of snow and he see that and says the ##### with it pull over. After pulling over he asked me a few simple questions says okay head back to office.

When we pull into the lot he goes to get out and I ask did I pass? He says you did fine now get inside to finish paper work.

I was greatly relieved it was over and realize just how nervous I had been.

Good Luck!

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter

I can understand not wanting to spend the money to go through a truck driving school. You may be able to handle a truck, but that's only a small portion of the job. Do you know about log books. The truck driving school will teach this plus help you get your hazmat, cover cargo securement, and different things besides just driving. There is alot more to being a truck driver than just keeping it between the lines . I would suggest spending the money and the time. Then you would have your class a and hazmat if not all the endorsements. You may not use them, but you never know when you might need it to fall back on or if a better oppurtunity may arise. Just food for thought.:)

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter

I agree with Jar, for a Class A, go to school. It was only due to the two previous years with an over the road B that I was able to obtain the A the way I did.

Hazmat though unless one continues to self educate oneself it is a joke. And its not required either. None of us or nearly none of us knows what we have really gotten ourselves into with a Hazmatt load and hopefully will never find out. But just a warning to all, when you do have an accident I am afraid thats when the education just might begin.

Its a joke and our Govt knows is, but we are required to have it to pull them I doubt anyone of us are professional HM Carriers. Sure one can read the little book but so little is covered on this subject and what is printed is nearly impossible to understand.

Our Carriers are no better, my training at both companies I carried HM and was required to have HM on DL spent no more than 2 hours (MAX) at going over this.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter

I guess the main point I was trying to get across is driving is a small portion of the job. Learning to do logs on the fly can be costly. Learning axles weights and stuff like can be costly to learn on the fly. Those fines can add up quick. But like I said do what you want.

mknt201

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator

If you know someone who has a CDL A or B you can rent a truck on test day. Your friend will have to drive you to the test site obviously, and the rental would have to be in his name. That is how I took my test. I had plenty of experience already in a <26,000 st truck, so we just did some pratice skills stuff the morning of the test. Rental cost me 200 bucks (glad I passed the first time!)

Daniel
Panther 12055
Hey Im also a class B permit holder, my question be when i rent a truck (straight) does that truck needs to be over 26k lb??