How big is yours? And why do some keep touching it while driving?

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
Shouldn’t your GPS screen be bigger? Almost every week at some point we see drivers in cars or trucks reaching forward to the dash or wind shield to tinker with their GPS while driving. We have made the assumption that most of the tinkering we see occurring is that the driver is attempting to zoom in or out the map view, likely some are fingering out some other issue that would be best accomplished pulled off the road.

GPS usage is a popular addition to the “multi-tasking driver” and a GPS in a vehicle can’t be as bad as eating catsup covered French fries and having a big gulp while driving in rush hour traffic, which we have seen, but couldn’t we get bigger screens so the GPS might be less of a task while driving. Our TV has grown to the size of our living room wall but somehow our GPS screen is smaller than our smart phone. You can’t make me think 4 inches is sufficient for a serious driver?

How big is yours and would you like it to be bigger?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My gps is your typical 4 inch. I have zero desire to have any larger. Things on my dash or window is not something I like to have. I think the bigger screens are too much to have in your field of vision but I have to say I have never had one any larger so that is just a guess on my part. I cannot see myself ever getting a larger one and yes I do mess with mine at times on the road if no one is around me and rarely is it to adjust the zoom.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I think most of the tinkering you see is people checking distance and looking for their next move.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ditto the above. I'll tinker to see the next few turns, but rarely to zoom in our out. I find a 4-inch screen more than large enough to see the little car thingy in the center of it.

tbubster

Seasoned Expediter
4in screen is whats in the truck once I put in where im going dont touch it again till I get there.Would be nice to have something a little bigger though.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The screen on the DEZL looks like it's just the right size. I wish I'd waited instead of going with the 465.

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
4in screen is whats in the truck once I put in where im going dont touch it again till I get there.Would be nice to have something a little bigger though.

(See Photo) It would seem an 18 incher LCD GPS with a 7 inch McDilly GPS for back up and a 15 inch LCD shared screen monitor for the copilot would keep you entertained the entire trip, providing you can multi-task while driving.

Attachments

• Nav photo.jpg
    Nav photo.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 56

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I might get a slightly larger screen than the current 4" next time, but it's fine as it is. I touch it only to see which way the next turn is, as it gets closer, so I have plenty of time to be in the correct lane. And I always check the atlas for the 'big picture' before moving, so I've never needed to zoom out en route.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When I had stand alone GPS receivers I found that I could not see the 5" very well. The 7" was far better for me.

I did not keep it on the dash board or on the windshield. I put mine on the "wing window" as high as I could get it. It did not interfere with my vision there. I had a second one mounted on the passenger "wing window" down very low. It too was out of my line of site.

I use a laptop now. It is 15.5" FAR better for my old, tired eyes.

I don't play with either while driving. I put in the routing and go. I stop if I need to change it for some reason. We seldom have to do that since we match up the routing with our carriers suggested routing before we leave.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
"A" GPS? Just "1"?..LOL, I have 3 of them and while i don't often have all of them going at the same time, i do always have 2 up and running...they are 5" (stand alone) 7" (QC option i pay for each month) and 15.5" laptop...

I very rarely zoom in and out and really, anymore I "listen" for the directions more then I look at them....looking at them is more "in town" and thats way i run 2, one the 5" is set for big truck routing, and the laptop is a "car" Garmin gps. When in town, i will look at the laptop when i don't recognize the routing...

For the most part, i listen intead of look at....and rarely touch it..

Oh and hving 3 of them , often give me 3 different ways to get to the same lace..rarely do they agree on anything....sounds like a marriage...:)

MCBuggyCo

Seasoned Expediter
I agree with cheri1122, if I need to see the big picture I pull over and look at the atlas. I also like to preview the trip before I start instead of looking at it piecemeal, one turn at a time.

I would, however, disagree with lugnut1 in that I believe "touching" your GPS is much more dangerous than eating, if either is done while driving. Maybe I am jaded and no longer give my french fries the attention they deserve but I am much more distracted by the GPS than the McD.

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have what I call my 'Handicap screen' 7 INCH.- don't play with it-can do quick glance a read and see-wouldn't go bigger-

jakerin

Active Expediter
I installed a 7'' multi use unit (backup camera, dvd,tv,gps,bluetooth for cell phone) it helps alot.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I tried a cobra 7750 with the 7"screen, was too distracting for me, much happier with garmin 565and 5"screen.

Sent from my DROID X2