How Are the BR-units Working Out?

gadfly65

Seasoned Expediter
Not that I've heard, but then I've been out of touch down south. The northeast seems to be heavily populated with BR's, some coming from as far as TX and staying for weeks at a time. I'm curious about how they handle in winter weather. They don't have the large footprint of a C or D unit and running empty looks to be problematic. Chains are also a problem in the east...looking a good set of snow or all weather tires.

Finding access to loads in the snow belt where loading has to be done outside seems difficult, so I don't know how that will work. Having said all of that, it's hard for me to see FedEx putting more BR's in areas that pose so much uncertainty of operation for, at least, five month of the year. The fact that the units remaining for sale are 2008 suggests a less aggressive approach to the BR. The BR drivers I've spoken with all indicate avoidance of express loads, where the miles and pay are low and the type of load is risky for the driver and cargo bay.

Sorry for the long response to a short question.

Stay well--stay safe!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Speaking of points, you never can fill up for a shower. TA has a van program, but you need to eat $10 worth of food or buy merchandise to supplement the fuel requirements.

Bob

The new card at T/A does away with the extra purchase rule. It's the "expediter" card and it is one shower for every 50 gallons purchased within 5 days. If you buy 17 gallons at a time and buy at least 3 times in a 5 day window you'll get one shower. They expire in 10 days. It's not as good as the J program was but it's the best available now to vans.

gadfly65

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks, LDB I'll have to look into it. Do you know if you get shower credits when you use the Tcheck & Jcard at the RV islands? Much easier than big truck islands.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you use the islands out front at the T/A you have to take the card inside to get the points put on. I don't know about at the J since so much is changing there. I've switched over to the T/A card and it's also good at Petro to give more location options.

PlusServices

Seasoned Expediter
The BR units are struggling to make ends meet, there is not enough freight for this tiny segment of the market. There is also a fair number of these units running solo drivers. Many of the light weight refer loads are DDPS so they go to the DR's and CR's. The other thing to consider is that if the number of BR units increase what may that do to the freight rates that the larger units get. With all the talk about flat rate freight this could be another way of reducing freight rates to all of us. The DR has always been the best revenue producer followed closely by the CR unit. Where would we be if that changed to CR's and BR's. One guy pointed out that the refer unit works off the trucks engine, what will this do the life expectancy of the truck. I'm sure this motor is not rebuildable and could end up being like the MBE 900 series.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I spoke with Jeff Jones last week. He told me that all of the remaining BR-units he had on his lot have now been sold. The aging units were sold at a loss to clear out the inventory. No one at FedEx Custom Critical has contacted Jones about building more.

None of the money to build or buy these units came from FedEx Custom Critical. Stoops Freightliner built these trucks on their nickel and carried them until they were sold.

xlr81966

Seasoned Expediter
If you are thinking of investing in one of these Units.. I would caution you to think twice!!!! IMO dont just walk away from this type of truck -- YOU RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!!!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If you are thinking of investing in one of these Units.. I would caution you to think twice!!!! IMO dont just walk away from this type of truck -- YOU RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!!!

May we hear what prompts your advice? Are you a BR-Unit owner? Why should someone RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!!!?

xlr81966

Seasoned Expediter
May we hear what prompts your advice? Are you a BR-Unit owner? Why should someone RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!!!?
As previously stated by others-- There is not enough freight at the present time to support the number of units within the fleet.And the fleet is yet growing again-- Simply amazing!!!. Yes i am a BR owner-- and a CR,DR,DR,DR,DR as well. The reason for the Sprinting is an OR=127 !!!!!!

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
Why not to get a BR based on the original owner of the first units I talked to when fedex said I was chosen to have an option to get in on them. 1. Fedex salespeople aren't even selling the BR to its customers. 2. Freight is only in the Northeast now. Only 30% of the loads offered are refridgerated white glove loads. Fedex will tell you "in the future BR loads will be more available". Might be good if you can sell ice cream on the side while waiting for loads.

On a good note you don't have to run the units all the time to keep the box cold. According to an owner driver out of Miami, his unit takes 10 min to get to temp. I talked to him, engine shut down while parked at a T/A. Asked hime about it and this is what he told me. He also told me he has to make at least $2500/wk to stay afloat. He didn't seem too happy overall.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I was surprised to see at TVAL training last week a brand new BR-unit sitting in the lot and its team in the classroom. Or it may have been a van owner with a driver, I am not sure as I did not get the chance to chat with them.

TeamCozumel

Seasoned Expediter
I was surprised to see at TVAL training last week a brand new BR-unit sitting in the lot and its team in the classroom. Or it may have been a van owner with a driver, I am not sure as I did not get the chance to chat with them.
We had our TVAL class last August and met an owner/operator couple that were in a BR unit. The sleeper was put together by Bolt (Fort Wayne).

Lyn and I checked it out and spoke with the owners. I was very intrigued by the idea and the design but I don't think I could live in such a small space.

One of the traditions that Lyn has created for us is cooking a breakfast consisting of omelets and waffles. Yeah, sometimes we substitute toast but either way, it's tough to get something remotely close to this living out of a van.

We even mused about stretching it or attempting to make the sleeper more spacious by borrowing cargo space but even if you could pull this off, you could never stand up inside and really stretch out. It's still in the back of our minds but for now, it's not a good match for our lifestyle.