How about a Raise?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well How about it? I know the powers that be read here....

We drivers aren't stupid, we know the rates you are raking in...some shippers write the quote on the BOL when they are on the phone...some shippers tell us what they paid....and we sometimes hang at TS's with independants...when you tell us there is no money in the pot for DH is that before or after taking out your 30% profit margin?
How about a .03 -.05 cent raise across all truck classes as show of good faith that you really do care about us and we matter...attaboys are all well and fine but have no monetary value...can't spend a pat on the back.
No carrier has actually raised rates in how many years?
If your a true leader in the industry lets see ya prove it in a way that really matters to most O/O's and drivers....AND just maybe we'll give YOU an attaboy or a 25$ gift certficate to be spent on the E-1 webstore!!

BTW..you do keep us pretty well moving and big kudos for that and the hard work of everyone in the office...BUT the next step is long overdue.
Thanks Ken

Last edited:

flattop40

Expert Expediter
BTW..you do keep us pretty well moving and big kudos for that and the hard work of everyone in the office...BUT the next step is long overdue.
Thanks Ken

With not having been here quite a year I can't really comment on us deserving a raise other then the fact that from what I have heard the industry has been stagnent for quite some time and with all other expenses going up I can see your point.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Rates from those 'other' makes you wonder. While in Dallas, one driver saide he got a load paying 1.68 a mile with low D/H.(Sprinter), But, our rates are designed to "keep your wheels moving". I don't think E1 will ever pay us 1.68 a mile however, anything will help

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know its competitive out there and there is the shareholders to pay but we are, in theory stakeholders as well....Some of the extra money could be recouped thru slowing the revolving thru recruitment dept. Maybe only having orientation every 2 weeks...theres ways to find the money.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know its competitive out there and there is the shareholders to pay but we are, in theory stakeholders as well....Some of the extra money could be recouped thru slowing the revolving thru recruitment dept. Maybe only having orientation every 2 weeks...theres ways to find the money.

Labor is the highest cost for any company. Fringe rate or % could be around 22% or more. What that would mean, after paying workers comp, medical, vacation, and sick pay, etc for one employee.

1 full time employee - lets just say 10.00 per hour
2080 hours in a year = 20,800 dollars
Fringe for that full time employee could be anywhere from 4500 to 6,000 dollars per year.

Cruve the turn over in drivers/ owner operators, cut other departments, could amount to a very large savings without cutting service to our customers. If your labor to sales is high, sometimes that is a sign of too many employees.

How about our Qualcomm weekly cost. Reduce that to the owners would also be a start. There is very little use for us, other than checking how many units are close to us. If you think about it, that is a lot of money we pay for that message, and then we still don't know where we are on first out. The directions are hit and miss. However, the company/ customer's have a need for us to have it.??? Let them pay for it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In the days of yore NLM and others we had to have a QC but now they've changed the rules....look at how many do this without the QC.....yes our QC is virtually useless other then getting load info...Macro 19 is a virtual loss feature. We are being over charged for the useage we get.

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Now heres something to put your pipe and smoke.

I have been told mileage is based on zip code to zip code but why does it always seem a bit on the lite side? 2-7 miles per my streets and trips.

So the conspiracy theorist in me kicked in and it was all based on I ran a Landstar load the other day and the mileage was dead nuts on.

If you short change on mileage on average 5miles per trip at an average just for kicks and giggles $1.50 per mile at 400 trips per day thats $3000 extra to the bottom line times that by 5 thats $15,000 per week now times that by 52 thats $780,000 not counting weekends. thats a huge chunk of money.

And we won't say anything cause per trip it doesn't seem that much.

Just something to chew on for a bit.:confused:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe LEA called in the load with thier own mileage and E-1 just went with that figure? only thing I can think of.....With modern technology like it is I don't know why we can't do address to address....more exact!