Fuel for Thought Household to HazMat

chillout

Administrator
Staff member
On Time Media Staff
Hauling hazardous materials (HazMat) loads can be daunting for someone who has never done it. Most of my career in trucking, I hauled household goods, moving families from one home to another. HazMat is not an issue with this segment of the trucking industry. Household goods carriers just do not haul it. When I decided to go into expediting, I knew that HazMat would be a possibility, so I set out to learn everything I could about it.

When I went to orientation, there were a few new drivers there who said they were scared to haul HazMat loads. If hauling HazMat scares you, consider learning more about it. The more you know, the less overwhelming it is. Never take it for granted, give HazMat loads the respect and attention they deserve, not only for your own safety, but also for the people around you. This includes the motoring public that you share the road with as well as those who you park near when you have to stop for breaks. Obviously, some loads are much more dangerous than others. Know your limitations. Also, know your carrier's policies and limitations.

READ MORE...