Hours of Work/Sleep Habits?

Phoenix4774

Seasoned Expediter
In one thread I heard otr expediting is about 60% night driving.

How much like shift work is it? Is there a lot of sleeping during the day?

Do you get used to erratic sleep patterns? Just wondering.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
There is no norm....you might get a 2200 pickup goin 500 miles and drive 10 hrs, drop and get 3 hours sleep and dispatch will call with a 300 miler during the day...

Or you might drop at at 1500 and not get a run until noon the next day...you sleep when tired and there is a need...do you get use to it, sure...then you go home for a few days and sleep like a normal person and you are screwed up again....:D

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I don't know about "60 %" - but many night driving loads for sure.

I would say it's nothing like shift work - that is just to predictable.
I would say 100% yes. Most people adjust to this - but some do not.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
It's very much NOT like shift work. It's more like 24/7 weekend standby. Some people can never adapt to it.

First thing I do after delivery is decide on my sleep strategy. When the loads are coming hard and fast, I'm usually getting in two sleeps a day. Basically, sleep until the next load comes in. When it is slow it gets tricky. Just when it's time to go the sleep a load comes in. Some companies have a sleep status that allows an amount of time to sleep and not lose board position. Other companies don't, so it's a matter of learning your own body requirements and your company's dispatch system.

eb

Last edited:

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
...then you go home for a few days and sleep like a normal person and you are screwed up again....:D
No kidding. Go out of service and everything gets messed up.

As for percentages, right now I'm probably higher than 60% nights, but that changes.

eb

ATeam

Retired Expediter

If you read my blog (link below) you will see how Diane's and my schedule varies and how we manage our sleep. I don't provide minute-by-minute details but you will get the idea. We are a team in a straight truck. Today's entry happens to include sleep and drive info.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You are leaving out an important part of the question - what vehicle are you talking about.

Because you said OTR, I think you are talking about straight trucks.

SO there is a 10 hour reset, it helps all of us adjust to sleep.

Phoenix4774

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks all for the replies. Greg I was more talking about a van, otr implying non-local expediting which I suppose you take for granted hehe.