$$$ hotshot $$$

scooter

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I need some directions to become a hotshot expediter.I helped a trucker that broke down in front of my house.He told me it would be a good line of work for me.
How do I start,and where do I look,etc.

Scott

Thumper

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Scott, It depends on what kind of expediting you want to get into as to how you can get started.
The term "hotshot" is not quite the same as expedited. Expediting "usually" refers to a cargo van, straight truck, or 18 wheeler that picks up some type of freight as little as a few pounds and goes from point A to point B without picking up anything else and with as much speed as possible, "USUALLY", whereas "hotshots" are usually pick-ups, or six wheelers with the capability to tow flatbed or gooseneck trailers.
Just as Lawrence said we need to know more about your needs and if you want to run short trips or 48 states and Canada. Also how long you will stay out and if you plan on being an owner-operator or drive for someone else.
You might check out the ads such as Thompson Emergency, Fed-Ex Custom Critical, etc.
My preference is Tri-State Expedited Services and they have a good webpage you could check out as I am sure most of the others also have. Last but not least,ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS. Good luck, Thumper

scooter

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I live in so. ga. I own a light duty f-150 ext cab.I'm interested in short hauls pulling a trailer.If it's worth while
get a larger pickup,would like to find out more about this.
Scott

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Scooter,

OK, it sounds like you are interested with the HotShot units. I think you will have a difficult time with a F-150 light duty. Remember, most of the HotShot loads are like Expedited Freight - Long distances. ALmost all of them run Class 6 and 7 Trucks.

May I suggest that you take a closer look at Expediting? I think you will you find more opportunities.

Lawrence McCord
Expediters Online.Com

KAT

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If I may offer my 2 cents worth.....you may want to check into starting out with a local courier service. I drive a cargo van for a courier service and this may be a way for you to get your feet wet. Most of our business is within about a 200 mile radius, we do some line hauls also. This would give you a chance to learn the industry somewhat without being on the road so much. Then if you wish, you can make the necessary time and monetary investment into expediting.

scooter

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I Think Kat might have a good Idea,My only problem is
that I have been self employed for the last 17 years,or is this
still self employment, do you think this is still a good option?
and if so,what are examples of a good local courier?

KAT

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Most couriers, including me, are owner-operators. We own our own vehicles and pay all our own expenses. We are under contract with the co. we deliver for as independent contractors, so yes we are self employed. I am in Ohio, so couldnt really recommend a specific courier for you, most major metro areas have them. I would check the yellow pages in your area, under Couriers or Delivery Services. Courier Magazine also has a website which lists couriers by region. www.couriermagazine.com .In my case, we are dispatched thru pagers, but also have 2-way radios for communication with dispatch and other drivers. Most courier companies operate primarily pickups, minivans, and full size vans. Some also run straight trucks. Expect a lot of local work, but also out of town runs and line hauls. Money is decent, at least in my case, and am away from home overnite only occasionally.