Hotshot work

truckerjohn

Seasoned Expediter
I was offered a position today driving a guys truck "F350 or F450" doing hotshot work. 500 miles and back mostly. he pays 20% of gross and he said I would be home some nights and home on the weekends. I was wondering if this is a fair wage and what is the norm? He seems very nice and seems like a pro. He offered me hotel and offered to buy my dinners. Is this a good deal? or shoudl I ask for a little more % on the loads? Thanks I am new to this type of work. Have a nice week y'all

Tempest

Seasoned Expediter
Exactly how much is 20%? $500 a week? $1000, $1500? This would be my first question. 90% of $100 dollars is a big percentage but not a big check.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Much more info is needed here . Is it true hoshot (time sensitive ) or just a dually with a gooseneck . True hotshot rates are over $2 a mile . On the 500 miles out and back do you get paid for the "and back" or is it unpaid deadhead ? The one red flag to me is using Fords . Very few hotshotters use Fords due to poor reliability . I know one logistics company that really got things stirred up of forums about a year ago when he posted an announcement he would no longer contract O/O's with Ford 6.0 or 6.4 power due to past problems .
Another question is will you be an employee or independent contractor ? This job sounds like you should be classified as an employee if you have regular assigned loads .

truckerjohn

Seasoned Expediter
Yes its a ford witha goosneck. and yes I will be an employee. He will pay for my dinner and hotel. when he gets backloads I will get 20% of that too. I'm thinking about asking him if I provide my own meals maybe he can up it to 25%. what do you guys think?

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I think paying your own meals would be a good idea because you could claim per diem but that may be the reason he is paying the hotel and meals . It also benefits him to pay per diem . He does not have to contribute to your social security on amounts paid on expenses . He would have to pay toward social security on the additional 5% so I doubt he'd go for that . As for pay being the norm I know of very few hotshot drivers that are employees . The vast majority are O/O's either with their own authority or leased to a carrier . You still need to know the rates . I doubt he gets $2 a mile but that would give you $.40 a mile which sounds good if you could get an equal rate backhaul with little or no deadhead . No backhaul would cut your pay in half to $.20 a mile . $200 for 2 days pay . You'd make less than 3 trips a week . Backhauls would definately pay less and deadheading , loading and unloading would make a 2 day trip a 3 day trip . You will be subject to FMCSA regulations and have to carry a log book limiting you to driving 11 hours between 10 hour breaks and 70 hours in 8 days . It may be a good job . There are a lot of people getting into trucking that are getting much less .

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
What am I missing? Isn't the 'standard' usually more like 40% if you're a solo driver, or 20% if you're one half of a team, and you don't pay the fuel? Or would you be driving *with* the owner as a codriver? I'm *ssuming you'll be a solo if he's saying he'll pay for hotel rooms?
If he gets $2/mile, and gets 2 of those runs per week, and dh's home, you'll get $400/wk, less payroll deductions, if 3 of those runs, you'll get $600/wk, less deductions. If he gets $1/mile, you'll get half that. Big difference. If he gets $3/mile, you'll do great, IF he consistently gets 2-3 runs per week. Can he tell you how many runs per week? Has he had any 'employees' in the past? If so, where'd they go? Does he have any others now? Can you talk to them?
If you're going to ask for feedback on this forum re a proposal you've received, why not provide *all* the info?
Twenty percent sounds way watered down, to me, and especially if 50% of your driving time will generally be 20% of zero.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Have you checked out hotshothauling.com? It's a decent web site with Forums much like here, I did do some Hot Shot back in the late 80's With a Ford F-350 and a 40' Flat Bed, And unless there was a Big Change in the Rates, you'll never Survive on 20%