Fuel for Thought HOS

chillout

Administrator
Staff member
On Time Media Staff
How many hours a day do you drive a CMV? How many would you prefer to drive? What are your thoughts on the 30 minute break? Where do you stand on the 8/2 split for sleeper berth rule? Did you like the previous reset which had to contain 2 periods of 1am -5am, or do you prefer the current version? Or prefer something completely different for reset rules? Are you indifferent to the whole thing? Are you happy with the current Hours of Service regulations?

READ MORE...

Reactions: RoadTime

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Instead of creating another thread, this seemed to be a good place to add on to the OP.
The following is not mine, feel free to cut and paste, and spread the word.

- Be clear and focused on the four areas they are considering

Many times, being effective comes down to timing. I believe the time is now. It's not the time to argue, or debate, or even discuss Hours of Service anymore. It's time to show the FMCSA that there are hundreds of thousands of professional truck drivers and business owners that know how to get the job done!
I want to help you be the most effective you can be at getting the change you most want to see happen.
Comments are due by 09/24/2018 at 11:59 PM EDT.
From Ray Martinez Director of the FMCSA
“We’re committed to moving on this,” he said. “I don’t think this should be an issue that languishes. If we move forward to the [proposed rule] stage, I would imagine it would follow that pattern. We want to move this on a fast track if possible.”
Martinez reiterated what he said last week in announcing the agency’s Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking — that the agency will only move on hours reforms if it receives the feedback and data necessary to do so.
Here is how you can do your part most effectively:
- Be clear and focused on the four areas they are considering:
(1) Extending drivers’ daily 14-hour clock by two hours should adverse conditions arise
(2) Adding split sleeper berth flexibility to hours regs
(3) Nixing the 30-minute break requirement
(4) Allowing short-haul drivers to operate 14 hours in a day instead of the current 12-hour allotment.
- Take your time and craft a clear and concise comment.
- Check it multiple times for spelling, grammar. Punctuation and clarity.
- Have someone else or multiple people read it.
- Use Grammarly.com to help it's free
Here is my comment, feel free to copy and paste just the way it is, or add your reasons in a clear, concise and short sentence or two. Nobody wants to read long stories about your HOS problems.
"I feel strongly that the FMCSA should Add split sleeper berth flexibility to hours regs. This will allow professional drivers to use their own best judgment in operating safely while continuing their mission of moving America's freight in a timely and efficient manner."
Don't listen to poeple who tell you that copied text will get your comment thrown out. I have a direct personal letter from the office of Ray Martiniez stating that by law, ALL comments have to be read and considered.
SUBMIT YOUR COMMENT:
https://buff.ly/2PiTBxZ
Contact your representatives in Congress:
https://buff.ly/2GllNvX
- Call them
- Write them
- email them
- Share a copy of your comment with them.
Share this letter with everyone you know, this is not just a driver issue, it is a safety and efficiency issue, we share the road with everyone.
I'm also calling on all of my industry partners to send this out as well, carriers, suppliers etc. If you know any companies or individuals that could help spread this, comment with the contact. Show the letter to your fleet and see if they want to send it out.

Reactions: Greg